Burgle Bros.» Forums » Rules

Subject: Move Back and Forth to Avoid Drawing Events? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Marty McFly
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I didn't see anything in the rules, so I decided to ask for thoughts here (and maybe an official ruling from Tim).

Is it legal to return to a room I just left simply to use up actions and not have to draw an Event card?

For example, let's say that I'm on a Walkway and it's a dead end. I can leave the Walkway and step into a Computer room. The problem is that the guard is in a room adjacent to the Computer room and I don't have any Stealth remaining. My other option is to go into a Thermo room, which has a Deadbolt on the other side, so it will turn on an alarm and summon the guard. What I really want to do is just hang out on the Walkway, but that results in drawing an Event. Can I move to the Computer room, back to the Walkway, back to the Computer, and back to the Walkway?

That would use up my 4 actions and stop me from having to draw an Event, but I don't think it really works in the spirit of the game. I feel like the rules should say that you cannot take 2 move actions in a row when the second move action would return you to your original spot. We didn't rule it that way in a recent play and, honestly, it felt like we were cheating.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin L. Kitchens
United States
Gainesville
Georgia
flag msg tools
designer
Snowflakes Melt
badge
Snowflakes Melt
mbmbmbmbmb
Don't see why not.

Seemed to be drawing events was a PLUS (though there are some bad ones). I figured you always limited your moves to be ABLE TO draw one. Not the other way around.

In fact, I'm not sure drawing an event is even required is it? Summary says "up to 4" actions... meaning you can take less. Sometimes I end up with 3 for example. But when I use 2 or less, I always draw an event because I want to. You're only ALLOWED to draw an event if you took 2 or less actions.

In fact, I had a game lost... and I drew an event just for grins and it actually got me out of the situation by freezing the guard for a turn.

EDIT: Nevermind... my bad as I wasn't remembering drawing event was a STEP not an action.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tim Fowers
United States
OGDEN
UT
flag msg tools
designer
mbmb
Yeah, I couldn't figure out the best way to phrase it, but you can't go back and forth just to avoid an event.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin L. Kitchens
United States
Gainesville
Georgia
flag msg tools
designer
Snowflakes Melt
badge
Snowflakes Melt
mbmbmbmbmb
Fubeca wrote:
Yeah, I couldn't figure out the best way to phrase it, but you can't go back and forth just to avoid an event.

I disagree (with the designer, bold me!) you cannot go back. It might be completely legit and would be gamey not to allow it. I could move to set off an alarm and then dash back out of the way, solely to get the guard to redirect. That would be completely in the spirit of the game.

But again, don't see why people wouldn't take a chance with an event.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marty McFly
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Fubeca wrote:

Thanks!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tim Fowers
United States
OGDEN
UT
flag msg tools
designer
mbmb
Yeah there are legit reasons to move back and forth, so it's a judgement call. If you're just moving back over tiles to avoid events it's against the spirit of the game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marty McFly
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
klkitchens wrote:
Fubeca wrote:

I disagree (with the designer, bold me!) you cannot go back. It might be completely legit and would be gamey not to allow it. I could move to set off an alarm and then dash back out of the way, solely to get the guard to redirect. That would be completely in the spirit of the game.

I did think about that and thought maybe the rule could be that you can only move back if you take an action between (like the character that can drop an alarm for an action) or if you trigger an alarm in the room. But that starts to get convoluted, and too many rules exceptions can sometimes be worse. In the end, I'd prefer a simple can/can't rule and leave it at that.

klkitchens wrote:
But again, don't see why people wouldn't take a chance with an event.

I agree with that. But one of the players didn't want to draw and event so he did the back and forth move. A couple of us said we didn't think that was right, but since it wasn't in the rules we let it go.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonathan Meltzer
United States
Dover
New Hampshire
flag msg tools
badge
Eight ball, corner pocket
mbmbmbmbmb
It is not often that you are in an area that:

a) You need to stay in, and
b) contains two adjacent tiles that are both "safe"

I think if you are in that situation, you should be able to make use of it, deciding whether or not to draw an event or to use your 3 or 4 actions (i.e. more than 2) to move back and forth.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin L. Kitchens
United States
Gainesville
Georgia
flag msg tools
designer
Snowflakes Melt
badge
Snowflakes Melt
mbmbmbmbmb
martidem wrote:
klkitchens wrote:
Fubeca wrote:

I did think about that and thought maybe the rule could be that you can only move back if you take an action between (like the character that can drop an alarm for an action) or if you trigger an alarm in the room. But that starts to get convoluted, and too many rules exceptions can sometimes be worse. In the end, I'd prefer a simple can/can't rule and leave it at that.

As Tim said, that's a valid option. So I think if you want a simple can/can't, you have to go with "can" otherwise you damage the game too much.

You're on the right track with the idea of

"In the same turn you may not choose to move back to your previous location unless you take an action or use a card effect first."

That's pretty concise and doesn't involve exceptions.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Muldoon (silentdibs)
United States
Astoria
New York
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Fubeca wrote:
Yeah there are legit reasons to move back and forth, so it's a judgement call. If you're just moving back over tiles to avoid events it's against the spirit of the game.

There's always the unspoken DBAD rule.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonathan Meltzer
United States
Dover
New Hampshire
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
klkitchens wrote:

"In the same turn you may not choose to move back to your previous location unless you take an action or use a card effect first."

Except that movement is in itself an action, so you would need to extend it to "an action OTHER than movement".

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonathan Meltzer
United States
Dover
New Hampshire
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
sdiberar wrote:
Fubeca wrote:

There's always the unspoken DBAD rule.

Doesn't apply here - it is a co-op game. You are not going to tick someone off if your group agrees on a ruling.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jerry
United States
Graham
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
What is DBAD rule?

Thematically, couldn't you run back and forth because you heard the guards footsteps coming your way so you are trying to find a hiding place?

I know when my kids are playing hide-n-seek they are back and forth looking until the finder stops counting
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin L. Kitchens
United States
Gainesville
Georgia
flag msg tools
designer
Snowflakes Melt
badge
Snowflakes Melt
mbmbmbmbmb
Mizerak wrote:
klkitchens wrote:

Except that movement is in itself an action, so you would need to extend it to "an action OTHER than movement".

Not at all.

I move from A1 to A2.
I'm in A2 now.
I cannot move from A2 back to A1 without taking an action. "Other than movement" is not a necessary statement at all. It would be in fact redundant.

If I move to another tile, A3, then I'm in A3 and A2 is now where I cannot go without taking an action.

Yes, Movement is an action, but it's already been explicitly excluded by rule.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ponsonby Britt, OBE
United States
Tennessee
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Laporbo wrote:
What is DBAD rule?

Don't Be A Di..ssagreeable person.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin L. Kitchens
United States
Gainesville
Georgia
flag msg tools
designer
Snowflakes Melt
badge
Snowflakes Melt
mbmbmbmbmb
ponsonbybritt wrote:
Laporbo wrote:
What is DBAD rule?

The benefits of being a solo gamer.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Reverend Uncle Bastard
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
Unapologetic Continual Troublemaker!
mbmbmbmbmb
klkitchens wrote:
ponsonbybritt wrote:
Laporbo wrote:
What is DBAD rule?

The benefits of being a solo gamer.

Or the downside, depending on who you are...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
B C Z
United States
Reston
Virginia
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Fubeca wrote:

I know Tim's the Author, but...

rules wrote:

1. Take up to 4 actions listed below, in any combination. You
may take the same action more than once:
a. Reveal an adjacent tile (Peek).
b. Move to an adjacent tile. If that tile is face down, reveal it.

When on a Computer Room tile:
c. Add a Hack token to this tile.

When on a Safe tile:
d. Add a die to this Safe tile (costs 2 actions).
e. Attempt to crack the safe by rolling the dice on this tile.

2. If you only used 2 actions or fewer, draw an Event card.

No where does it indicate a player can't dance back and forth between two tiles to avoid drawing an Event card, which could be positive, negative or neutral.

Dancing may be impossible due to the various traps, doors, stoppers or expected guard movement.

Events are not always negative, but are always unknowns.

The game cannot differentiate between "intentional backtracking to avoid an Event" and "backtracking for any number of other very legitimate reasons."

Examples of legitimate backtracking:
* Sticking your nose in a "Motion Sensor" room to cause an alarm (intentionally) and then returning from whence you came. No action was taken in the "Motion" room other than to leave (thus triggering the alarm).

* Attempting to enter a Keypad and failing the roll.

Why remove the potential to avoid an unknown Event with what feels like non-thematic rule?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin L. Kitchens
United States
Gainesville
Georgia
flag msg tools
designer
Snowflakes Melt
badge
Snowflakes Melt
mbmbmbmbmb
byronczimmer wrote:
Examples of legitimate backtracking:
* Sticking your nose in a "Motion Sensor" room to cause an alarm (intentionally) and then returning from whence you came. No action was taken in the "Motion" room other than to leave (thus triggering the alarm).

* Attempting to enter a Keypad and failing the roll.

Why remove the potential to avoid an unknown Event with what feels like non-thematic rule?

Yep, you got one...

I'm going to play it's ok to do so... because anything else feels fake and I am going to want the event card 99.99999999999999999% of the time anyway.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Breckenridge
United States
Richmond
Rhode Island
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
martidem wrote:
For example, let's say that I'm on a Walkway and it's a dead end. I can leave the Walkway and step into a Computer room. The problem is that the guard is in a room adjacent to the Computer room and I don't have any Stealth remaining. My other option is to go into a Thermo room, which has a Deadbolt on the other side, so it will turn on an alarm and summon the guard. What I really want to do is just hang out on the Walkway, but that results in drawing an Event. Can I move to the Computer room, back to the Walkway, back to the Computer, and back to the Walkway?

This particular case is not a good example, since the best option would be to move to the Computer room, hack twice, and then move to the Walkway. Less contrivance and you get something out of it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marty McFly
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
jbrecken wrote:
martidem wrote:

This particular case is not a good example, since the best option would be to move to the Computer room, hack twice, and then move to the Walkway. Less contrivance and you get something out of it.

The example was for illustration only and a Computer tile was the first that came to my mind. Replace Computer with Lavatory.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Muldoon (silentdibs)
United States
Astoria
New York
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
How about "you can't take one or more actions that intentionally result in no change in the game state."
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marty McFly
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
byronczimmer wrote:

I guess my feeling is that running back and forth in front of the guard is already non-thematic. Thematically, if I am robbing a building and the guard is coming and I can't go anywhere until he goes away, I'd stay put and hide (resulting in an Event).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin L. Kitchens
United States
Gainesville
Georgia
flag msg tools
designer
Snowflakes Melt
badge
Snowflakes Melt
mbmbmbmbmb
Simplest solution is "Don't draw an event card unless you want to."

Not sure why thematically you're only drawing one if you didn't do enough anyway. I see that deck as a Chance/Community Chest variant... there some good and some bad. Except that they apply to the current "player", I'd say draw one after each round.

You could also house rule that you keep the game as is and discard a stealth token to avoid the card draw.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Benji
Switzerland
Gurmels
FR
flag msg tools
visit us on www.muwins.ch
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm with BT Carpenter here. Why introduce an artificial rule when you could just as well be punished or rewarded for doing the action?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.