22 Posts

Blue Moon» Forums » General

Subject: New Blue Moon player rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Caleb Blake
Australia
flag msg tools
Let me first say - I like card games. I actually like board games too - but I really like card games.

I had explored Magic: The Gathering and I really liked it from a mechanics point of view. It was very clever and I loved the extra element deck building brought to the game.

However, as a CCG it made me always feel behind somehow, and my playing partner also felt at a disadvantage because I developed some deck building skills quite early in the piece in online play. But I just ended up feeling like the game was a trap on the whole - a life-long commitment to collecting cards and keeping up, especially when playing online games.

So I was on the lookout for a Magic-alike game of sorts and I ran into Dungeoneer which I quite like. I'm still happy to expand my playing of that, but it was a bit different.

When I ran into a description of Blue Moon I thought - this is what I was looking for.

It's not a collectible and seems to have a finite set of cards to get before you feel like you have everything. I love how you can't have duplicates of cards in the deck building so there's no pressure to buy 4 copies of everything.

I've just bought the basic set and the Mimix expansion. I'm yet to actually have a game as I've just got the basic set today. I've printed out the FAQ listing as a reference and I'm ready to go.

I've noted a couple of interesting websites that have forums on Blue Moon. Am I right that this one is probably the best for English speakers?

I think it's going to be fun creating a back-story that explains an alliance between the various people's before playing a deck construction. Eg. a reason why Hoax and Khind have united and Terrah and Aqua for example and then have players have to construct one of the two alliances to play against with the option in a longer game of modifying the decks (and even changing leaders) in longer "campaigns" between each match/game whatever.

And I can see this all happening without creating a situation where people now have hundreds and hundreds of cards to make a deck of 40 or 60 out of with purchasing power quite often giving advantage.

I'm hopeful that this is going to be a great game for us. I may buy two copies of everything for myself and my partner to give us more flexible deck creation possibilities and the ability to pit our wits against traitors of our own kind in battles.

I also love the over-production of the basic set - with the dragon pieces and the relatively redundant but attractive play board. Sure I could do without it, but it's nice having a themed focus for the game on the table and it's a welcome opposite to Dungeoneer which I found to be quite under-produced for a greater expense.

I almost forgot to mention the artwork. Magnificent.

I haven't really looked at all the sets yet, but from what I've seen of the Hoax, Mimix and Vulca I'm really impressed. I was at first put off by the size of the cards, but once I saw how impressive the artwork was I dropped that concern altogether.

Regards
Caleb

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alex Eaton-Salners
United States
Lake Forest
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Welcome to BGG Caleb. You're definitely in the right place and it sounds like this game will be a good match for you. Enjoy the ride that is Blue Moon. cool

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe Gola
United States
Redding
Connecticut
flag msg tools
badge
and everything under the sun is in tune
mbmbmbmbmb
It's always good to see another convert!

The same word of advice I give every new player: you'll get the most out of the game once you've become familiar with the decks. With that in mind, I'd recommend starting with just Vulca vs. Hoax and then only picking up expansion decks in a gradual manner. You can get a lot of mileage out of just the starter matchup, and then Vulca vs. Mimix and Hoax vs. Mimix.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christopher Dearlove
United Kingdom
Chelmsford
Essex
flag msg tools
SoRCon 11 23-25 Feb 2018 Basildon UK http://www.sorcon.co.uk
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
caleb72 wrote:
I've printed out the FAQ listing as a reference

Poor trees.devil

Quote:
Am I right that this one is probably the best for English speakers?

I think so. There are a couple of others noted in the FAQ, but both don't compare.

Quote:
"campaigns" between each match/game whatever.

Note that although it's not in the rules, "campaign" is officially used for a game series up to 5 crystals. See the FAQ.

Quote:
I may buy two copies of everything for myself and my partner to give us more flexible deck creation possibilities and the ability to pit our wits against traitors of our own kind in battles.

That's what you need for the full game. Interesting CCG player reaction: two copies of everthing, no problem.

Quote:
I was at first put off by the size of the cards, but once I saw how impressive the artwork was I dropped that concern altogether.

Only real drawback is no sleeves. Actually there is a Korean website that seems to have some, it's just that I haven't found a Korean speaker.

Anyway, I hope you have fun.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christopher Dearlove
United Kingdom
Chelmsford
Essex
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Gola wrote:
The same word of advice I give every new player: you'll get the most out of the game once you've become familiar with the decks. With that in mind, I'd recommend starting with just Vulca vs. Hoax and then only picking up expansion decks in a gradual manner. You can get a lot of mileage out of just the starter matchup, and then Vulca vs. Mimix and Hoax vs. Mimix.

Maybe. I think it depends on the players. I think I moved on to Flit vs Mimix in my first session, though it may have been the second. Doing so raised my opinion of the game a lot. Of course I did later discover that I had more to learn about the Vulca and the Hoax. And I didn't have the time for slow exploration, we were in the business of working out what to suggest changing. Now I'd say if you want to explore in depth, explore in depth. If you want to see the range, try something else. But in the former case note there are quite different things out there, and in the latter case remember you may not have found out all there is to find out.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Caleb Blake
Australia
flag msg tools
Dearlove wrote:

Quote:
I may buy two copies of everything for myself and my partner to give us more flexible deck creation possibilities and the ability to pit our wits against traitors of our own kind in battles.

That's what you need for the full game. Interesting CCG player reaction: two copies of everthing, no problem.

I wouldn't say it's no problem, but it's definitely a thought.

And the feeling of "completeness" in Blue Moon overall is far more attainable and affordable than in a CCG game like MTG. If this were MTG I'd be thinking of 4 copies of a large number of cards EACH and I'd probably have to force a ceiling on the number of sets before it all becomes ridiculously expensive - like limit it to the core edition. And then, the problem is that there are some really great game mechanics don't exist in the core set giving you the constant temptation to broaden your horizons and further empty your wallet.

Additionally, even if you decide you want to limit it to the core set (which probably has more cards than the complete Blue Moon game with all sets included), you can't just purchase it. You can only get a starters pack and then you rely on blind luck in getting random booster decks which may or may not round out your collection or buying cards singly which can end up being rather expensive.

I'd rather take the treasure hunting out of the picture. With Blue Moon I know exactly what I'm getting and can assess the full "damage" in advance.

Regards
Caleb

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alex Eaton-Salners
United States
Lake Forest
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
caleb72 wrote:
I'd rather take the treasure hunting out of the picture.

Well it's not entirely out of the picture. There have been several BM promotional cards made available at various times that are not easily obtained. I'm still trying to get my hands on a Fire Spirit. shake

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthew M
United States
New Haven
Connecticut
flag msg tools
admin
8/8 FREE, PROTECTED
badge
513ers Assemble!
mbmbmbmbmb
mitnachtKAUBO-I wrote:
caleb72 wrote:
I'd rather take the treasure hunting out of the picture.

Well it's not entirely out of the picture. There have been several BM promotional cards made available at various times that are not easily obtained. I'm still trying to get my hands on a Fire Spirit. shake

I've got the Fire Spirit. I need the Wind Spirit and the Buka Promo.

But yeah...buying two of every deck is doable - I've done it I have one kept in preconstructed decks with the E&I decks sorted by emissary. The other set is organized entirely by people type and the E&I cards sorted by Hyla, Tutu, Mutant, etc.

Convenient, if a bit obsessive.

-MMM

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Karl
Austria
Salzburg
Salzburg
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
mitnachtKAUBO-I wrote:

Poor Americans in this case. You can get as Water and Fire Spirits for the cost of postage in Germany.
Now Wind Spirits and the Buka Ship - now that is another problem.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Caleb Blake
Australia
flag msg tools
Well - we had our first game.
I played Hoax against Vulca.

In the last battle there were still 3 dragons in the middle. I managed to win that crucial battle to get 2 dragons and one because my partner's hand was pretty much emptied.

The end game in this situation caused a bit of contention I must say.

If you have drawn all your cards and played all your character cards so that you have 2 or 3 boosters/supports etc. you have to retreat from every battle.

I'm guessing what needs to happen is that you retreat from one then decline to start another discarding your remaining cards. Problem is that in a tightly contested battle where no favour from dragons has been secured, this is a death blow to yourself and you have 2 options - to lose or to lose.

The game is strongly resource management so I can see where this is tough luck and part of the game strategy but it certainly makes you think hard about how you play the first half of your game - you don't want to burn more brightly if you can't guarantee grabbing the attention of a few dragons.

In this regard it makes me think that there are fast decks that really need to go for the win strongly and those that should just play damage control while waiting for the bushfire to burn out.

Hoax has an advantage here because of the retrieval. I kept playing one character in 3 rounds limiting my draw.

The thing is - if my opponent is losing cards I'm pretty much guaranteed of at least scoring 1 dragon, either by him retreating right at the end - or even me retreating right at the end. If I retreat I start the next hand and if he has a bad hand that's a victory to me most likely before he gets a chance to end the whole game. Even worse luck for him is if this happens and he still has 4 cards in his hand - even if he declines to start the next battle, he can't discard all of his cards and then I get a chance to win yet another dragon before the end of the game.

The end game can seem a little unbalanced at this point and it can seem like a bit of a kick in the teeth for the losing player. I suppose that's life and it just means you're really going to have to size up your deck to understand what strategy you need to play with the end game in mind.

Anyway - I really enjoyed it.

I'm certainly up for some more mayhem just with the pre-constructed deck before we start going to town on rule customisations and deck building.

Regards
Caleb

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe Gola
United States
Redding
Connecticut
flag msg tools
badge
and everything under the sun is in tune
mbmbmbmbmb
caleb72 wrote:

The game is strongly resource management so I can see where this is tough luck and part of the game strategy but it certainly makes you think hard about how you play the first half of your game - you don't want to burn more brightly if you can't guarantee grabbing the attention of a few dragons.

You got it.

caleb72 wrote:

The thing is - if my opponent is losing cards I'm pretty much guaranteed of at least scoring 1 dragon, either by him retreating right at the end - or even me retreating right at the end.

No. If your opponent plays the last cards in his hand and you retreat, he takes his dragon(s), the game is over, and you get nothing.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel Kearns
United States
Bloomington
Indiana
flag msg tools
Silence is golden.
badge
Your sea is so great and my boat is so small.
mbmbmbmbmb
caleb72 wrote:

The end game can seem a little unbalanced at this point and it can seem like a bit of a kick in the teeth for the losing player. I suppose that's life and it just means you're really going to have to size up your deck to understand what strategy you need to play with the end game in mind.

The end can be brutal and decisive. There have been some games where I swing for the fence and try to win it all before the endgame. The risk is, that if the game does go all the way to the end, I know that I WILL be in deep trouble. Jockeying for the impending crunch at the end is what makes Blue Moon so interesting to me.

Each deck has finite resources, if you spend them all early well...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe Stude
United States
Farmington Hills
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
caleb72 wrote:

If you have drawn all your cards and played all your character cards so that you have 2 or 3 boosters/supports etc. you have to retreat from every battle.

I'm guessing what needs to happen is that you retreat from one then decline to start another discarding your remaining cards. Problem is that in a tightly contested battle where no favour from dragons has been secured, this is a death blow to yourself and you have 2 options - to lose or to lose.

This is why I prefer (if there's time) to play 5-crystal matches. That way, instead of the binary win/loss condition, even though you're still playing a lost game you can hopefully mitigate the damage before game end, giving yourself a better chance to win the match.

Quote:
In this regard it makes me think that there are fast decks that really need to go for the win strongly and those that should just play damage control while waiting for the bushfire to burn out.

There definitely are. The new Buka Invasion deck is FAST, much moreso than anything that came before it. Others, like Hoax, are very deliberate.

Quote:
Hoax has an advantage here because of the retrieval. I kept playing one character in 3 rounds limiting my draw.

He becomes less potent when you learn the game a bit more. Knowing the Hoax deck means you can guess how much power Hoax can potentially hit, and this allows you to just either play over the retrievable character's power or, if the Hoax player is going to be able to force you into wasting cards by playing the retrievable over and over, just sacrifice a dragon and retreat, getting rid of the retrievable for good. Of course, there are other things you might be able to do but those are all card-specific.

Quote:
The thing is - if my opponent is losing cards I'm pretty much guaranteed of at least scoring 1 dragon, either by him retreating right at the end - or even me retreating right at the end. If I retreat I start the next hand and if he has a bad hand that's a victory to me most likely before he gets a chance to end the whole game. Even worse luck for him is if this happens and he still has 4 cards in his hand - even if he declines to start the next battle, he can't discard all of his cards and then I get a chance to win yet another dragon before the end of the game.

That's why it's really important to learn the decks, like you mentioned, for pacing purposes. Nothing's a bigger bummer than going into the endgame of a tightly fought game only to discover you still have a full hand of cards with no characters remaining. Although a hand of all characters gives you better chances, it can still stink. A good example is Flit - all its characters are retrievable, but you don't necessarily want to retrieve every time you play, because you'll end up expending all your boosters and having a hand full of very low power characters.

Glad you're enjoying the game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christopher Dearlove
United Kingdom
Chelmsford
Essex
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
caleb72 wrote:

Yes. So the plan is not to get there. There's one very basic strategy question in the FAQ - right near the end, look for the word "advice" - and this is important enough to get a mention (if not an actual answer).

Quote:
The thing is - if my opponent is losing cards I'm pretty much guaranteed of at least scoring 1 dragon,

Guaranteed, no. Playing your hand end to go out without a dragon loss even though you run out of cards first is an art. Not a guaranteed art, but it can be done often enough to be worth mentioning. Timing is all. Also as you say, hand management. Running out of characters is the number one way to lose.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthew M
United States
New Haven
Connecticut
flag msg tools
admin
8/8 FREE, PROTECTED
badge
513ers Assemble!
mbmbmbmbmb
caleb72 wrote:
In the last battle there were still 3 dragons in the middle. I managed to win that crucial battle to get 2 dragons and one because my partner's hand was pretty much emptied.

The end game in this situation caused a bit of contention I must say.

And that is the proper result. Consider that your opponent used more resources than you to get a net result of zero dragons. You were using your cards more efficiently and were rewarded for it at the end of the game by having cards available to keep fighting when your opponent did not.

-MMM

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Caleb Blake
Australia
flag msg tools
Nice to see a big number of responses - the Blue Moon community is alive and well it seems.

I know where to come to discuss my thoughts on the game.

Regards
Caleb

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Caleb Blake
Australia
flag msg tools
A new update.

Two more games done. Hoax vs Vulca (Hoax victorious again)
Vulca vs Mimix (Mixi victorious).

We've now decided we love this game and are looking forward to expanding to at least 1 more set in the short term. We'll probably continue to grow from there - but we would like one more set so that we can play alliances.

Regards
Caleb

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe Stude
United States
Farmington Hills
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Do you have a favorite deck yet, or at least one you enjoy more than the others?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Susan F.
Canada
Lethbridge
Alberta
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Reading some of these posts, I'm wondering if I've been misplaying the endgame rules. I thought that the last round was the one in which one player ran out of cards in their draw deck. (i.e. You don't start another fight unless both players have at least six cards.) Are you guys saying that you keep playing until one player flat-out runs out of cards?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe Stude
United States
Farmington Hills
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Yup, you play until one player runs out of cards in his/her draw deck AND hand.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christopher Dearlove
United Kingdom
Chelmsford
Essex
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Rusty567 wrote:
Reading some of these posts, I'm wondering if I've been misplaying the endgame rules. I thought that the last round was the one in which one player ran out of cards in their draw deck. (i.e. You don't start another fight unless both players have at least six cards.) Are you guys saying that you keep playing until one player flat-out runs out of cards?

Yes. It may be worth reading the End of Game section of the FAQ, which includes some subtleties.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Caleb Blake
Australia
flag msg tools
Do I have a favourite deck?

Hmmmm - I like all of them so far.
They can all be great if you get a good draw, but alot depends on play.

When I play Vulca, I feel like I have to really go for it. I've managed to snatch a 4th dragon victory over the Hoax with Vulca playing it very aggressively.

I like the Hoax because they're tricky buggers.

And I like Mimix because you get a few opportunities to get great combinations. I lost a Mimix vs Hoax game where the last card I played in my hand allowed me to shuffle and redraw two cards - both which were character cards more powerful than my opponent. However, unfortunately, he had the card that discarded two cards from my hand. We were both impressed with the closeness of that game.

I've now ordered Khind, Pillar and Flit to add to the decks because we're convinced we want more tribes to play with. We're leaving E&I out of it for the moment as we're quite happy with standard play at this point. We will eventually get the other standard decks but I ordered all the ones which were currently available in my area at the time.

Regards
Caleb

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.