7 Posts

Star Trek: Attack Wing» Forums » Rules

Subject: Should Elite Talents Match their Captains or their Ships? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Keoki Young
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Do elite talent upgrades incur a penalty when they don’t match their ship’s faction, or their captain’s? Nothing I’ve found in the rules or FAQ indicate that the captain’s faction has anything to do with it; only the ship’s faction. So if, for example, a Federation captain on a Klingon ship takes a Federation elite talent, the talent costs +1 SP because the ship is Klingon, even though the captain is Fed.

However, the wording on the upcoming Captain Vosk gave me pause:

“Vosk does not pay a faction penalty when fielding an Elite Talent Upgrade.”

To me, this makes it sound as if elite talents are meant to match their captain’s factions instead of their ship’s. Thoughts?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nathan M
Canada
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
That simply means Vosk doesn't pay a faction penalty when equipping an elite talent which does not match his ship's faction.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Justin Hare
msg tools
The cross faction penalty applies if the talent does not match the ship. You pay +1 to put Picard on a vorcha, but no penalty to put Qapla on that ship.

This was a question that came up a lot at the dawn of the game.
http://boardgamegeek.com/article/13217182#13217182

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric B.
United States
East Lansing
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
lerris wrote:
That simply means Vosk doesn't pay a faction penalty when equipping an elite talent which does not match his ship's faction.

Goodness, the wording on this terrible card is terrible. Since when do our captains pay for our upgrades for us? The player pays for the upgrades, not the captain. "Vosk does not pay..."

Technically, this is ambiguous given the sloppy wording.

(a) If Vosk has an Elite Talent equipped, then you do not have to pay a faction penalty on Vosk if he is attached to a ship that does not meet his faction.

(b) If Vosk has an Elite Talent equipped, then you do not have to pay a faction penalty on that Elite Talent if it does not meet the faction of Vosk's ship.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Johnsen
United States
Indiana
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
I assume that Vosk is (poorly) worded that way so that only the ET assigned to his slot gets around a faction penalty, and not any ET that would potentially be assigned to an Admiral's slot on Vosk's ship. Contrast Vosk's wording with that of GenKhan.

GenKhan wrote:
You do not pay a Faction penalty when assigning Khan or any Talent Upgrade to your ship.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Keoki Young
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
RogueThirteen wrote:
lerris wrote:

Goodness, the wording on this terrible card is terrible. Since when do our captains pay for our upgrades for us? The player pays for the upgrades, not the captain. "Vosk does not pay..."

Technically, this is ambiguous given the sloppy wording.

(a) If Vosk has an Elite Talent equipped, then you do not have to pay a faction penalty on Vosk if he is attached to a ship that does not meet his faction.

(b) If Vosk has an Elite Talent equipped, then you do not have to pay a faction penalty on that Elite Talent if it does not meet the faction of Vosk's ship.

I hadn't even considered the first variant. That really is sloppy wording.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bwian, just
United States
Longmont
Colorado
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
keokiyoung wrote:
To me, this makes it sound as if elite talents are meant to match their captain’s factions instead of their ship’s. Thoughts?

That would have been one way to write the rules, but isn't the way they went. It seems that Elite Talents are actually performed by the unnamed crew of the ship. They just need a skilled Captain to inspire them to such feats.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.