Cthulhu Wars» Forums » Rules

Subject: Terror layer rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Tiago Gouveia
Brazil
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
There are many places that make refference to "Terror" unit, I think is time to explain it more clearly. What are they? How they interact with cultists, monsters, GOO, gates, areas, combat, capture, abduct etc? Are they summoned or awaken (as a BG player a have big interest in this question)?

Thanks a lot, congratulations for the wonderful job!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pierre Lanrezac
France
Chatou
Yvelines
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
tiagomo wrote:
There are many places that make refference to "Terror" unit, I think is time to explain it more clearly. What are they? How they interact with cultists, monsters, GOO, gates, areas, combat, capture, abduct etc? Are they summoned or awaken (as a BG player a have big interest in this question)?

Terror is a new unit type introduced by Onslaught 2
It is at the same same as Monsters in terms of Cultist capture, however they are not affected by powers or abilities targeting Monsters (thus they can't be Devoured by Cthulhu by example).
You need to "buy" their Loyalty like the neutral Monsters, however the price to pay is steeper !

So a Terror is stronger than a Monster, but less powerful than a Great Old One
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tiago Gouveia
Brazil
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Pitpipo wrote:
tiagomo wrote:

Terror is a new unit type introduced by Onslaught 2
It is at the same same as Monsters in terms of Cultist capture, however they are not affected by powers or abilities targeting Monsters (thus they can't be Devoured by Cthulhu by example).
You need to "buy" their Loyalty like the neutral Monsters, however the price to pay is steeper !

So a Terror is stronger than a Monster, but less powerful than a Great Old One

Thanks!!!

What happens when they die? Are they neutral again (as GOO) or do they return to your pool and can be re-summoned (as monsters)? Can they be summoned with other monsters by BG fertility cult unique ability? Do they avoid your cultists to be captured by enemy GOO?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pierre Lanrezac
France
Chatou
Yvelines
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
tiagomo wrote:

Thanks!!!

What happens when they die? Are they neutral again (as GOO) or do they return to your pool and can be re-summoned (as monsters)? Can they be summoned with other monsters by BG fertility cult unique ability? Do they avoid your cultists to be captured by enemy GOO?

Since Arthur shared it earlier, to buy the Terror Loyalty Card, you need to pay two Doom Points and two Power Points.

If it ever dies, you can resummon it on the field by paying his summoning cost (4 PP for the Hound by example)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sandy Petersen
United States
Rockwall
Texas
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
I wrote the first-ever Lovecraft game.
mbmbmbmbmb
They act just like Monsters in almost every way. The only differences are:

1) abilities that specifically reference Monsters do not apply to them.
2) the cost to gain their loyalty card is different from that of a neutral Monster.

They also have some standard features, but these are not strictly speaking a formal rule. All of the Terrors released to day include only a single creature per type, and all cost 4 Power to summon if killed.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nick R. Nielsen-Doss
United States
Hudson Falls
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Can Terrors capture cultists? Monsters? What about Ferox? How do GOO's affect this structure?

edit- Just re-read Pit's answer. That's official then?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bernard Gourion
France
Paris
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
sakerio wrote:
Can Terrors capture cultists?

YES

sakerio wrote:
Monsters?

NO, it's a Sleeper's ability.

sakerio wrote:
What about Ferox?

Cultits can't be captured by any units (So Terror included).

sakerio wrote:
How do GOO's affect this structure?

No change, i guess. In particular, Sleeper can't capture Terrors with his Capture Monster ability.

sakerio wrote:

edit- Just re-read Pit's answer. That's official then?

Yes, The Terrors capture like monsters but aren't monsters neither are considered to be monsters.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adam Starks
United States
Austin
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
bengougou75 wrote:
sakerio wrote:
What about Ferox?

Ferox Cultists can actually be Captured by GOOs.

Also, technically it only refers to Monsters, which do not include Terrors. So while the spirit is clearly that Terrors are affect, the rules as written don't support that.

Maybe something to add to the Errata?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kolby Reddish
United States
Nampa
Idaho
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
AdamStarks wrote:
bengougou75 wrote:
sakerio wrote:
What about Ferox?

Also, technically it only refers to Monsters, which do not include Terrors. So while the spirit is clearly that Terrors are affect, the rules as written don't support that.

If the spell book specifically refers to Monsters, then Terrors are not intended to be affected. (That's kind of the point of having them).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrés Santiago Pérez-Bergquist
United States
Mountain View
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
AdamStarks wrote:
bengougou75 wrote:
sakerio wrote:
What about Ferox?

It's not even clear that it runs counter to the spirit, as I was under the impression that Terrors are intended as not-GOOs flavor-wise that behave mostly like GOOs as far as the rules are concerned. It's the "mostly" that's the area of contention.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adam Starks
United States
Austin
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
reddish22 wrote:
If the spell book specifically refers to Monsters, then Terrors are not intended to be affected. (That's kind of the point of having them).

But they've said elsewhere that Terrors are supposed to be identical to Monsters when it comes to Capturing Cultists. That could imply that a restriction on Monsters Capturing Cultists is intended to apply to Terrors as well.

This is something we'll want a specific ruling on.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kolby Reddish
United States
Nampa
Idaho
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
AdamStarks wrote:
reddish22 wrote:

But they've said elsewhere that Terrors are supposed to be identical to Monsters when it comes to Capturing Cultists. That could imply that a restriction on Monsters Capturing Cultists is intended to apply to Terrors as well.

This is something we'll want a specific ruling on.

Eh - they mean the mechanics of capturing cultists is the same based on the context of that discussion.

Bottom line - if the spell book specifically says "Monster" it doesn't apply to Terrors. (that's the whole point).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adam Starks
United States
Austin
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I know it says that, but the Spellbook was written before the concept of Terrors existed, so it's certainly possible that they didn't intend it to work that way. For instance, the Hound of Tindalos would almost completely negate Ferox, which I would not assume to be the intent.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nick R. Nielsen-Doss
United States
Hudson Falls
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Arthur did clarify this for me via geekmail:

"Terrors can capture cultists, but not monsters (no one can capture monsters, except Tsathoggua due to a specific spellbook). Ferox reads "only GOOs" so Terrors cannot capture Feroxed cultists, I believe. "

This is all I have atm.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pierre Lanrezac
France
Chatou
Yvelines
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
sakerio wrote:

"Terrors can capture cultists, but not monsters (no one can capture monsters, except Tsathoggua due to a specific spellbook). Ferox reads "only GOOs" so Terrors cannot capture Feroxed cultists, I believe. "

This is all I have atm.

I'm 100% aligned with that

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kolby Reddish
United States
Nampa
Idaho
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
sakerio wrote:

This is all I have atm.

Actually, Ferox says "Enemy monsters cannot capture your cultists"

Unless they changed the wording from the proofreading document (which is really entirely possible).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kolby Reddish
United States
Nampa
Idaho
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
AdamStarks wrote:
I know it says that, but the Spellbook was written before the concept of Terrors existed, so it's certainly possible that they didn't intend it to work that way. For instance, the Hound of Tindalos would almost completely negate Ferox, which I would not assume to be the intent.

Possible. But I'd go with it as written unless we hear otherwise.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pierre Lanrezac
France
Chatou
Yvelines
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
reddish22 wrote:

Unless they changed the wording from the proofreading document (which is really entirely possible).

Yes, an Terror rule specify: Terrors are equivalent to Monster for Cultist capture purpose...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Arthur Petersen
United States
Texas
flag msg tools
designer
it's your sister Cheryl!
badge
I work for Petersen Games. AMA
mbmbmbmbmb
reddish22 wrote:
sakerio wrote:

This is all I have atm.

Actually, that is true as to how it is worded. Therefore, under the meaning of "Terror," they CAN capture Feroxed cultists. After all, one of the ideas behind "Terrors" is that abilities that reference monsters do NOT refer to Terrors.

robot

However, the ability ALSO reads "they are still vulnerable to Enemy Great Old ones" - thus specifying a particular unit type (GOOs) that CAN capture them. By specifying a unit type that CAN capture them, it is at a minimum implying that no other unit types - including Terrors - can do so.

This is different than most other abilities which refer to either "monsters and cultists" OR "great Old Ones" but not both. Since this refers to both a ruling is needed.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adam Starks
United States
Austin
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
While we're on that topic, what's the wording of the Yithian ability? Specifically, can Yithian's Capture a Ferox Cultist?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Hound Tindalos
msg tools
Can a polyp make a terror invisible?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alex Hobbit
Greece
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmb
Hound_of_Tindalos wrote:

No, they are not affected by stuff, that affects monsters or GOO´s. Only by stuff affecting units.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adam Starks
United States
Austin
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Hound_of_Tindalos wrote:

Invisibility specifically calls out Cultists and Monsters, which means it can't be used on Terrors.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tiago Gouveia
Brazil
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
AdamStarks wrote:
While we're on that topic, what's the wording of the Yithian ability? Specifically, can Yithian's Capture a Ferox Cultist?

I would say yes!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Arthur Petersen
United States
Texas
flag msg tools
designer
it's your sister Cheryl!
badge
I work for Petersen Games. AMA
mbmbmbmbmb
AdamStarks wrote:

I would say yes. The basic concept of the Yithian's ability is that NOTHING protects a cultist from capture (not even a GOO). This is an obvious FAQ issue (or, more properly, we should probably word the ability's text to include the idea that NO ability protects from them, which is a sort of thing we've never used in CW before).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.