Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
David Matson
United States
St George
Utah
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I know that most of the mechanics are different between Survive: Escape form Atlantis! and Black Fleet. But it seems there are some mechanics that are somewhat similar. For example:

In Black Fleet, one ship is carrying goods to other ports to sell for money. In Survive, you can use boats to carry meeples and deliver them to safety.

In Black Fleet, you can use pirate ships to attack cargo ships. In Survive, you can use creatures to attack boats.

So my question: is the "feel" and gameplay experience of the two games different enough to justify having both in my collection?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthew Roskam
United States
Birmingham
Alabama
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Black fleet is more of a pick up and deliver game with a gotcha aspect to it. Escape is almost pure gotcha. Both are a lot of fun. I own and play both, and do not feel that they are redundant.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Turner
United Kingdom
Farnham
Surrey
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Completely different games in feel.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan Thorpe
United Kingdom
Birkenhead
Merseyside
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
They are totally different indeed. (Hi Mark)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Xiong ie
Malaysia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Nah, it's very different.

In Survive you have several boats, but not every boat you send is important, only the ones with your highest points, so part of the fun is trying to quietly trick others to not sinking your boat.

In Black Fleet you have 1 boat with cargo, it doesnt really die when attacked, just gets annoying because the money you get will be lesser and lesser the more time it's attacked, so part of the fun is trying to avoid ever being attacked.

Similarly in Survive, you attack others hoping to get their most valuable people, and if possible, not even let others have a chance off the map.

In Black Fleet, you have 1 pirate that is hitting any other cargo ship just to steal their cargo and then avoiding the navy as long as possible until you bury the cargo for a huge amount of money.

So yea, very different feeling I will say, you do similar actions but for very different reasons.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gab Pal
Australia
Brisbane
QLD
flag msg tools
The best games ingeniously blend Euro and Ameritrash styles
badge
THE CAKE IS A LIE !!!
mbmbmbmbmb
I guess it has really all been said, but I will just add...

Black Fleet will very likely appeal to a person who likes Survive: Escape from Atlantis.

The mechanics are definitely very different, but both games are simple and easy to learn.

I personally bought Black Fleet because I was tiring of Survive with the in-laws. I have only played a game or two of it but I think Black Fleet is a better game.

Hope that helps

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
WD Yoga
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I think Black Fleet is the better game. I found it more exciting and fun to play than Survive from Atlantis.

The quality of the components is just superb! The map, the ships, the coins... These bits make the game play better.

The player ability cards that you have to buy before winning the game also increase the replay value. These cards give various powers to players, give bonus, break game mechanics in a very fun way. Each player will have different power and each game will have different feeling and strategy because of the cards. At one game, your navy ship can attack merchants, at another your merchant ship can attack another merchant, yet in another, your pirates can sell the captured goods instead of burying them etc!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Hugo Haas
Brazil
Rio de Janeiro
RJ
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I think both games scratches the same itch, but I think Black Fleet is easier to play (less rules to explain) and have more consistent rules but I still like Survive for the chaos...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Infinger
msg tools
I have both and they are completely different experiences. They also both have completely different themes as well... but this does make me want to mash them up.. throw some pirate ships on my Survive the island board instead of Sea-serpents...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.