Popular Tags: [View All]
Jake
United States
West Hollywood
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb

I have Battles of the Bulge: Celles being delivered. Ardennes '44 on p500 (a ways off). So I got something on the lighter side and heavier. Im on the fence as to whether or not to get Bitter Woods: Designer Edition as well?

Being in the middle of the two mentioned, will it hit the table? Is it substantially different enough to warrant purchase? Other threads seem to have those in the camp that Bitter Woods and Ardennes 44 both deserve a spot in everyones collection. Others say Ardennes 44 is the one stop shopping Bulge game.

Do I have too much Bulge?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Randy Mauldin
United States
Texarkana
Arkansas
flag msg tools
mbmb
You can never have enough Bulge......I have 8 Bulge games. Ardenne 44 is probably the best of the lot, but it is big and involved. I like FAB: Bulge too, a little lighter but still a great gaming experience. I have three of the four Bulge games Avalon Hill put out (Bitter Woods the only one I don't have). I've never played Celles, but I've been tempted.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Roger Reisinger
msg tools
mbmb
You might want to add Enemy Action: Ardennes to the list, has really positive reviews.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jon Gautier

Rhinebeck
New York
msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
As far as I'm concerned, you are at least 25 or so games short of a respectable collection. So yeah, get DBW. That said, for my money EAA is now the one Bulge game to have if you're having only one.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jake
United States
West Hollywood
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Lowecore wrote:
You might want to add Enemy Action: Ardennes to the list, has really positive reviews.

cry
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ron A
United States
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb

More Bulge is usually better than less Bulge.

It is OOP, but you might want to try and acquire a copy of Bulge 20.

Why, you ask?

For one thing, Antwerp, the actual target of the attack, is on the map and may be an objective. I say may be because the Germans get to pick their objective, they can go whole hog for Antwerp, or choose between 2 lesser objectives: Luxembourg City or Aachen (the so-called baby Bulge).

The cool thing is that the German choice is secret and the Allies have to try and determine what the objective really is, just like Eisenhower. If you bring in Patton as a reinforcement but the Germans are only going for Aachen, you lose points.

Long story short, it is a very cool game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Hunga Dunga
Canada
Coquitlam
British Columbia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
jakece wrote:
Ardennes '44 on p500 (a ways off).

Given the game's reputation, I'm surprised how slowly the P500 is going...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Brosius
United States
Needham Heights
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
My favorite 18xx game for six players is two games of 1846 with three players each.
mbmbmbmbmb
How could you possibly have overlooked Last Blitzkrieg?!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Carl Fung
United States
Old Greenwich
Connecticut
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hungadunga wrote:
jakece wrote:
Ardennes '44 on p500 (a ways off).

Given the game's reputation, I'm surprised how slowly the P500 is going...

It already has two print runs. Anyone who wanted a copy got a copy. Anyone on the fence may not commit to waiting for it to get over this new hump. If it ever gets closer to 500, I'm sure it'll pick up steam.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Peter Collins
Canada
Prince Rupert
BC
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
crap, thought this thread was about how to stay in physical shape while at the same time indulging a sedentary boardgaming hobby.

guess i'm not a grognard after all. soblue
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Arthur
Australia
New South Wales
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb

Iron Tide: Panzers in the Ardennes and Ardennes are not too bad but both have problems..

Dark December was ok too but probably very hard to get these days
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jake
United States
West Hollywood
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb

Thanks for all the options! And here I thought this thread would help narrow down my choices surprise

I should know better by now.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Randy Mauldin
United States
Texarkana
Arkansas
flag msg tools
mbmb
I second the call for Enemy Action: Ardennes. Prepare to lose, but it's a great game..
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Stuart
United States
Los Alamos
New Mexico
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Since you asked the question, yes, you should get it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tim Cockitt
United Kingdom
MANCHESTER
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Quick thought from UK.

Jim Dinningan's SPI game Bulge
Bulge

Is a brilliant design, in a small box. There are various Sudden Death possibilities - so the game is unlikely to play through to the end.

BEST of all - go visit the Ardennes, beautiful location. I recommend having a driver from USA - such people are used to driving on the right!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin L. Kitchens
United States
Gainesville
Georgia
flag msg tools
designer
Snowflakes Melt
badge
Snowflakes Melt
mbmbmbmbmb
Randy Mauldin wrote:
I second the call for Enemy Action: Ardennes. Prepare to lose, but it's a great game..

Arrives tomorrow

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Magister Ludi
Australia
Fremantle
Western Australia
flag msg tools
Roll low!
badge
You are a paradox to me, a contradiction You're a predicament for me, and a prediction
mbmbmbmbmb
timbanana wrote:
Quick thought from UK.

Bulge

Is a brilliant design, in a small box. There are various Sudden Death possibilities - so the game is unlikely to play through to the end.

BEST of all - go visit the Ardennes, beautiful location. I recommend having a driver from USA - such people are used to driving on the right!

Seconded...great little game and easily solitaired.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Seth Owen
United States
Norwich
Connecticut
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Aussie550 wrote:
timbanana wrote:
Quick thought from UK.

Bulge

Seconded...great little game and easily solitaired.

I have Winter Thunder on the way.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ron A
United States
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
wargamer55 wrote:

I have Winter Thunder on the way.

You know, I just saw that, and it IS Brian Train, but there isn't much written on it. OTOH, it isn't very expensive.

Guess I'm still on the fence.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Barry Setser
United States
Millersville
Maryland
flag msg tools
badge
Developer - "Bayonets & Tomahawks" and "Imperial Struggle"
mbmbmbmbmb
Oh joy - one of my favorite threads!!
I've got 300ish games (with over 200 actual wargames) and have ZERO Bulge games. Had one once for about 2 weeks and promptly traded it away. Saved myself some money over the years by avoiding certain topics - Bulge, Normandy, US Civil War, East Front games and tactical scale WW2.

Shudder to think what the collection would look like if I had those topics on the pile as well
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Walters
United States
Chesterfield
Virginia
flag msg tools
badge
"...the art of manoeuvering armies...an art which none may master by the light of nature. but to which, if he is to attain success, a man must serve a long apprenticeship." -- G.F.R. Henderson
mbmbmbmbmb
I must admit I did have too much bulge at one time and had to cut back. While it was difficult in some cases, I sold/auctioned off:

America Triumphant: The Battle of the Bulge
The Last Blitzkrieg
Hitler's Last Gamble: The Battle of the Bulge
The Ardennes Offensive: The Battle of the Bulge, December 1944
Bastogne
Ardennes
Tigers in the Mist
Earlier editions of Bitter Woods
The first edition of Ardennes '44
The initial edition of DG's remake of Wacht Am Rhein

Other titles that are "in the closet" because I cannot yet part with them are:

The Battle of the Bulge -- out of nostalgia
The Battle of the Bulge -- also out of nostalgia
Dark December -- also out of...well...you get the idea
Earlier editions of Battles for the Ardennes -- yep, got the SPI version and the TSR version sitting in there!
Battle of the Bulge -- Smithsonian Edition -- worn and well loved from teaching newbie wargamers
Axis & Allies: Battle of the Bulge -- worn and well-loved from teaching kids how to play
Bitter Woods (fourth edition) with Bitter Woods (fourth edition): Expansion Kit, only because I've got the newer Compass edition out on the shelf!

What's left on the shelf is still pretty extensive:

FAB: The Bulge
Battles for the Ardennes -- DG Edition
Bitter Woods: Designer Edition
Enemy Action: Ardennes
Wacht Am Rhein
Bulge
Iron Tide: Panzers in the Ardennes
Battles of the Bulge: Celles
All those postcard games on KG Peiper: Paying the Peiper, A Dash of Peiper, Just a Peiper Dream?, The Bagged Peiper
Bastogne: Screaming Eagles under Siege
Bastogne: The Desperate Defense, December 1944
Bastogne: Crossroads of Death
Wave of Terror

And then there are the tactical games also on the shelf--

Lock 'n Load: Noville – Bastogne's Outpost
Darkest December: Battle of the Bulge
Panzer Grenadier: Elsenborn Ridge and Panzer Grenadier: Battle of the Bulge
Kampfgruppe Peiper I: ASL Historical Module 2
Kampfgruppe Peiper II: ASL Historical Module 3

Think I've got sufficient bulge, but some might say I've got too much. It happens as we grognards get older; we accumulate greater and greater quantities of bulge....
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Barry Setser
United States
Millersville
Maryland
flag msg tools
badge
Developer - "Bayonets & Tomahawks" and "Imperial Struggle"
mbmbmbmbmb
That's a mighty Bulge there sir. You actually have more Bulge games than I have WW1 naval games.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Roger Reisinger
msg tools
mbmb
Of this huge collection of Bulge games, which have given you the best games experiences?

ericmwalters wrote:
I must admit I did have too much bulge at one time and had to cut back. While it was difficult in some cases, I sold/auctioned off:

The Last Blitzkrieg
Bastogne
Ardennes
Tigers in the Mist

Earlier editions of Battles for the Ardennes -- yep, got the SPI version and the TSR version sitting in there!
Battle of the Bulge -- Smithsonian Edition -- worn and well loved from teaching newbie wargamers
Axis & Allies: Battle of the Bulge -- worn and well-loved from teaching kids how to play
Bitter Woods (fourth edition) with Bitter Woods (fourth edition): Expansion Kit, only because I've got the newer Compass edition out on the shelf!

Wacht Am Rhein
Bulge
All those postcard games on KG Peiper: Paying the Peiper, A Dash of Peiper, Just a Peiper Dream?, The Bagged Peiper
Wave of Terror

Think I've got sufficient bulge, but some might say I've got too much. It happens as we grognards get older; we accumulate greater and greater quantities of bulge....
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Walters
United States
Chesterfield
Virginia
flag msg tools
badge
"...the art of manoeuvering armies...an art which none may master by the light of nature. but to which, if he is to attain success, a man must serve a long apprenticeship." -- G.F.R. Henderson
mbmbmbmbmb
Lowecore wrote:
Of this huge collection of Bulge games, which have given you the best games experiences?

ericmwalters wrote:

The Last Blitzkrieg
Bastogne
Ardennes
Tigers in the Mist

Wacht Am Rhein
Bulge
Wave of Terror

There's several ways to answer this question as different games give you different reasons to play/experiences. So I'm going to provide a few categories and then tell the best game I played to provide it:

Storytelling narrative with high drama: Kampfgruppe Peiper I: ASL Historical Module 2 Particularly the campaign game, which I think is the best of the three in both HASL modules on KG Peiper's culmination.

Best competitive experience with a Bulge theme: Torn between Bitter Woods (fourth edition)/Bitter Woods: Designer Edition and Ardennes '44. FAB: The Bulge comes behind these. It may be that Enemy Action: Ardennes is a contender but I haven't gotten enough time with it yet.

Best one to get new wargamers interested in the Bulge: Battles of the Bulge: Celles.

Best one to play socially with friends: Battles for the Ardennes (2 Allied and 2 German)--big enough but not too big. GOSS/Wacht Am Rhein is a real beast to play--you and friends have to not only be seriously committed given the size of it, but it's a lot of work to play well. Can't say I've gotten there yet with it.

Best for historical insight: Gosh, that's a hard one. Among the "regular sized" titles, I'd say Ardennes '44 but again, Enemy Action: Ardennes might knock it off its perch. For the big games, I'd have to say the GOSS monster, Wacht Am Rhein with a boulder of salt as I've not gotten through a campaign game with it yet. Just a few scenarios.

Best Bulge title to solitaire: How can it be anything else but Enemy Action: Ardennes? HIGHLY ADDICTIVE!

Once Multi-Man Publishing releases Dean Essig's magnum opus on the Battle of the Bulge using his new Battalion Combat Series (BCS) system, that might hit the sweet spot regarding best one to play socially with friends and maybe even for historical insight, given what I'm seeing in the draft/playtest rules!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jake
United States
West Hollywood
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb

Ordered Bitter Woods: Designer Edition

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.