Recommend
 Thumb up
 Hide
9 Posts

BoardGameGeek» Forums » Board Game Design » Design Contests

Subject: Wibbell++ (game system) design contest rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Wibbell++ is a 48-card deck. Each card has 2 letters and one of 6 borders. I have 8 games I consider worth publishing and up to 5 will be included in the box, each game explained on one single card (front/back). Later on, I will release additional games digitally, sending rulesheets through a mailing list, adding them to a list on a website and recording 'how to play' and 'example game' videos for each one.

You don't need to test or develop your idea, although you are welcome to do so. You will be submitting initial concepts to this geeklist. All ideas will be played and considered for their potential.

Any submissions that I like will get 4 copies of the deck and be credited. They will be further designed, developed, have their rules laid out and then released (probably digitally).

One submission will potentially be the 5th game in the box.

Half of one card will be set aside to thank folk who spent time submitting their ideas.

ABOUT ME:

Last summer, I released In A Bind, which has been enjoyed by thousands of folk in the UK and has been reprinted. I am also soon printing a Junior version and will be soon getting the expansion pack into retail.

WIBBELL++ COMPONENTS (specs):

There are 48 cards.

Each card has 2 letters, a border and 1-5 dots.

The top letters are more common in the English language and each one appears 6 times. The lower letters appear 1-5 times each (according to relative frequency of use in the English language) and the number of dots denotes how often the lower letter appears.

There are 6 borders, each appearing 8 times. The top letters each appear 0-2 times (mostly 1) within each set of borders. The bottom letters only appear up to once within each border.

You can download a spreadsheet showing the exact mechanical distribution of cards here.

There are indices on top left and top right so the cards can be fanned either way.

WIBBELL++ HISTORY

This deck was originally created for a word game that has now been tested hundreds of times, and nearly always enjoyed. At the time, I was inventing a game every day (for 84ish days) and I later found another fun game that could be played using the same deck.

At UK Games Expo 2015, I playtested 3 games playable with the deck and they were shown to all be fun and worth tightening up the rulesheets/cards and developing. Andrew Dennison suggested an idea which we played about 4 times that evening and I have since continued testing and developing.

Several people, including developers at Modiphius and the designer of Key Market, have suggested that I run a contest to see if other people would like to suggest ideas.

CONTEST TIMELINE (and rules):

Entries should be added to this geeklist for easy commenting on each entry. Deadline is the end of 2015.

Every game idea will be played in London. We will try the games as many times as they deserve and we are able. Those that I think could be developed into fun experiences will be taken 'on the road' and shown off to the general public around the UK in mid to late January. All these games will be winners, getting 4 production copies and credited.

By mid-February, I will have laid out a first draft of rules for any games on the shortlist. I will launch my KS for the game in late February. If I'm undecided, maybe I'll let KS backers help decide which should be the 5th game in the box.

In April, the game will be printed. You will receive prizes in May or maybe June.

I would be the judge and make all the decisions.

Maybe folk could also vote on geeklist entries by thumbing and the most thumbed would get all the geekgold I have (currently 39.56, so not much, but I promise not to spend any until then, and will probably accrue some more).

EXISTING GAMES:

(If you make one of these games, you will not win. Similar games are allowed as long as they're different enough to be worth 'having' both.)

Wibbell: shout a word that contains at least one letter from each card in front of you and in the middle. (Extra letters are allowed, like Prolix.)

Phrasell: make up a 4-word phrase using 4 letters as initials. A judge selects their favourite.

Faybell: make up stories. First, the pairs of letters should be used as the initals for story elements. Then, you begin the storytelling. Each player flips one card and says a sentence starting with the top letter, then using the bottom letter as the initial of a word that the FOLLOWING player must use in their sentence.

Alphabeticell: push your luck. Collect or pass on cards. They should be added to the start or end of an alphabetical sequence, considering only one letter from each card. You can skip letters, but never insert letters into the middle of your sequence.

Grabbell: Speed pattern recognition. Grab cards matching either a letter or the border of the previous card in your pile.

Puzzell: 1-player solitaire/patience-style. Each turn, you draw a card, remove a card from one of 4 stacks, then play 2 cards onto a stack. Playing cards requires that those 2 and the previous one form a 3-letter fragment of the alphabet (when considering either of the letters from each card).

Unnamed: use 2 top letters. Within 60s, shout as many words as you can that feature both letters. When your 2 letters are guessed, your turn ends.

Unnamed: reverse grabbell: collect groups of 4 cards. Each group must match NOTHING (letters, border or even dots).

TIPS:

You can use a subset of cards as long as they can be easily divided. You can ask people to sort the cards by pattern or number of dots. Puzzell only uses 24 cards (3 patterns).

You could potentially make games that use multiple decks, but I would like to avoid such games.

You can use pencil and paper or other common components but preference will be given to games that don't.

Of the 8 named games, none use the dots. That might be an interesting thing to make use of.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ghislain LEVEQUE
France
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Re: Discussion for upcoming Wibbell++ design contest
Bezman wrote:
There are indices on top left and top right so the cards can be fanned either way.

Indices should be on the 4 corners to support left handed players (or players that just fan their cards the other way).

It would also be nice to explain how to convert your deck to another language. I'd be interested to translate any created game to french if you are interested but the deck should "work" in french too.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
courtjus wrote:
Bezman wrote:

Indices should be on the 4 corners to support left handed players (or players that just fan their cards the other way).

As they are on both top left and top right, cards CAN be fanned either way.

What they cannot be is rotated 180 degrees like typical playing cards. I might have to add a picture to get across the concept, but the dots are on the bottom, so there is a 'top' and 'bottom' of each card (not to mention the orientation of the main letters). The 'border' runs across 3 sides (not the bottom).

courtjus wrote:

It would also be nice to explain how to convert your deck to another language. I'd be interested to translate any created game to french if you are interested but the deck should "work" in french too.

I'm not sure what you mean. The letters are applicable to much of the western world - there are no words.

I don't think any 'conversion' is required.

Whilst the letters are arranged according to usage in English, I hypothesise that this wouldn't make the language-based games terrible if you were playing them in French.

I probably won't have a PnP to show until very early December, but would happily share that privately with anyone who asks. If you want to try out some of my games whilst playing in French, that would potentially be very helpful indeed.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ghislain LEVEQUE
France
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Bezman wrote:
courtjus wrote:
Bezman wrote:

As they are on both top left and top right, cards CAN be fanned either way.

I misread, my bad !

Bezman wrote:

I'm not sure what you mean. The letters are applicable to much of the western world - there are no words.

The letters distribution is not exactly the same. English words use a lot more "w" than french ones for example.

Bezman wrote:

I probably won't have a PnP to show until very early December, but would happily share that privately with anyone who asks. If you want to try out some of my games whilst playing in French, that would potentially be very helpful indeed.

Yes, why not, that should give us a good idea of how well it works with french
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Apollo God
Australia
Brisbane
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm finding it difficult to picture the cards. can you provide an image please? 1 sheet should be enough to get the idea doesn't have to be the full PnP.

I have some ideas but need to see the cards to see if they work.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
I've uploaded a couple of images that were just-now accepted by geekmod. :-)

I'm excited to read your ideas when the competition starts!

I am thinking Dacember 1st seems like a decent date to set the geeklist up and be accepting entries.

Of course, the length of this competition is quite short (based on proposed end date of end-of-year, but that's because I only need folk to submit initial ideas/concepts, not even necessarily tested ideas.

Should I write some 'example pitches' for existing games, to show what I'm after?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel J Isom
United States
Smyrna
Delaware
flag msg tools
designer
Send me a geekmail if you'd like to buy a copy!
badge
I have to return some videotapes.
mbmbmbmbmb
This contest has been added to the Current Contest Info thread.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
As a postscript for anyone checking this - both Aaron and David Brain are winners. They will both get 4 copies of the game, as well as a mention in the deck. The game will probably be released Q1/Q2 2017.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Apollo God
Australia
Brisbane
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Oh, Awesome. Thanks for that. I just noticed this on Kickstarter. I'm going through all the videos now.

Link to KS for those who are interested.

Great work mate!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.