Popular Tags: [View All]
Aaron Gelb
United States
Los Angeles
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Inspired by this geeklist http://boardgamegeek.com/geeklist/19135, I wanted to ask everyone out there a question.

Gaming, like any hobby, has its following, and the people that enjoy it range from casual to obsessed. But I'm a fairly new gamer, and I already feel that weird obsessive feeling coming over me...putting games on my wishlist, even if i know I don't have the time or people to play them with quite yet. I also have read numerous times on this website about people that buy games but have yet to play them, open them, etc! Some people are very addicted, and I'm wondering why this hobby lends itself to people like us?! I mean, if one was into photography, i'm sure they could become obsessed and buy multiple cameras, lenses, and the like, but i've been on photography websites and have never seen the equal to the likes of a gamer. Gamers getting banned from bringing home new games, etc! I'm sure part of it is due to a wonderful site like bgg that makes it so easy to encompass, but i feel like this hobby, over most that i know of or take part in, makes for more addicted and collection happy hobbyists. I dunno if its all true, but the gamer is a special breed...like i said, i consider myself casual, but already feel ''the fever''.

thoughts?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel Danzer
Germany
Stuttgart
southwest
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
asgelb wrote:
the gamer is a special breed...

To be honest, I don`t think of "gamers" as being so special. I know people addicted to Computer Games or Flying R/C Helicopter-models or they ride a Harley and work every single minute of their spare time on making them more beauty or build in a special technical gadget no one but them and there friends know of or would recognize...

I like Boardgaming, because i`t seems very open to me - boardgames can be more indvidual - IMHO - than PC games or Harleys or Helis (I know some of these people would not only contradict, but maybe get angry) and I like the live and "real presence" communication between human beings. The whole scene is rather open-minded and not very fanatic.

So, that`s what I like, the question why people getting addicted to something is more complex in this society. Alcohol, drugs, religions, ideologies, netsurfing - many things offer a hold to people who otherwise cannot stand the senselessness of our lives in this world not made for men and a society that doesn`t care for you as an individual. Of course, the means do not offer any truth, only a life belt for a second. That`s why you need more, and more, and more ...

IMHO
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alexander B.
United States
Austin
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmb
Fans are fanatics, that is the meaning right?

I've seen people be real fanatics of many, many things from music, to cars, to stereo equipment.... etc. etc.

Why do I personaly find games so addictive? I believe it is because they are a sort of mental athletics. Some people enjoy working out at the gym... feels good to get their body moving.

For me, it feels good to get my mind moving... also, there is a creative element to games: the art on the board, the creativity of the mechanics, the interaction with other players, the creativity needed to play skillfully...

...creativity is what makes us humans appararently: it is what we do best. Gaming is enjoyable for me because there is no "purpose" to it beyond it being fun... seems like a great way to spend my time off from doing serious things to survive
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul DeStefano
United States
Long Island
New York
flag msg tools
designer
badge
It's a Zendrum. www.zendrum.com
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm in it for the chicks.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Farr
Australia
Sydney
New South Wales
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
An excellent question! I was thinking about this myself, as I have got the "fever" bad, and can't seem to shake it.

I discovered the Games Workshop Lord of the Rings range in June 2004, leading to many hours spent painting minis and searching out stores that stock them. Initially, I purchased everything from a hobby store that did not stock boardgames at all, but I found a few stores that stocked boardgames around June 2006. Since then, my boardgame collection has gone from around a dozen games to 95, and counting.

So, 95 games? That's probably not a lot to many here, but to have bought them in 6 months? I have played less than half of them, yet always want more. I have a wishlist of around 14 games at present, games that don't seem to make it to South Africa. The standouts on my wishlist are older Knizia games: Ra, Taj Mahal and Lord of the Rings. I want newer games too, like Marvel Heroes, Shogun, Tide of Iron, and... too many, really.

I have been unable to explain the urge to return to the games store, the fascination with unopened treasures. Yet, as soon as I acquire them, for the most part, it's on to the next one I don't have yet. I couldn't wait for BattleLore, or so I thought. The moment I got it, I laminated the reference sheets (bit OCD, me), sorted out a suitable Plano container for the minis (after using the hot water method to straighten them), gave the dice a lacquer coat to protect them, ordered the replacement dice, then shelved the game. I have since purchased Commands & Colours: Ancients, because many say it's the best of the Borg games that employ the C&C system, but I wouldn't know, as all I've every played of the "series" is Memoir '44!

While I am certain I will appear sad and pathetic to those that are careful with their money, and to those that truly love playing their games, I have to think I am not alone. In my defense, I would play a lot more, I think, if I had people that shared my interest. My wife humours me, and actually enjoys games like Lost Cities, but she's never going to get into the heavier fare. My son is still a bit young for what I want to play (he's 7), but he readily plays HeroScape, Sword & Skull, Blokus, Carcassonne and Alhambra, along with some others. I think he'll be a fine gamer, oneday.

Sorry, I went on a bit there. I didn't mean to take over your thread! Take it as a compliment. Your question is one that has been nagging me for some time now. I would love to hear how one might cure this affliction. I am running out of space to store the games.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
"that's a smith and wesson, and you've had your six"
mbmbmb
The boxes are made of crack.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Potter
United States
Edwardsville
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
First, with life one must survive. Survival is boreing and repititious. In todays society it is defined as a job.

Boardgaming is a diversion. An ever changing deversion. It breaks up life with something short, sweet and satisfying. It also allows you to experience it with other people. There is no real preasure to succeed, only to enjoy yourself.

It is easy to socialize when you are gaming. There is already a focal point of the conversation so there is no need to know the plot of 24 or the stats of the Colts in last weeks game. Outside influences are removed and you become a cohesive group.

So, go out and 'Get high on gaming'.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Brown
United States
Colorado Springs
Colorado
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I wrote a geeklist on compulsive buying of games and why I was trying to stop.

http://www.boardgamegeek.com/geeklist/17497

It is a hard thing to do and can be very addictive.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
George Kinney
United States
Bellefontaine
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
FWIW, my experience on BGG leads me to believe that collectors, and those that seemingly can't control their buying habits are a small minority. Vocal maybe, but not common.

And believe me, there is exactly the same kind of behaviour you describe in just about every hobby I have ever been exposed to. Modelers, comic/card collectors, astronomy buffs, car restorers, it just doesn't matter. In any given crowd, there is at least one person who just owns massive heaps of stuff related to the hobby for reasons that may or may not make sense to anyone else.

You mention be tempted to buy games you can't play, lacking time, players, etc. My advice, whatever its worth, is to fight that urge passionately, 'cause your just going to convert your cash into dusty cardboard boxes. Be realistic about your gaming options and what fits in them.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bruce Chiriatti
United States
Boston
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
This is an excellent question; it's one that I've tried to answer for my wife (with no success).

I know that people like to collect as a rule. Almost everyone I know seems to collect something, coins, stamps, remember bennie babies?

Like many on this site, I have bought games and still haven't opened them. Just thinking about this makes me think I'm crazy! Speaking of crazy, I also must confess to reading new rules and enjoying it. I like to play the game out in my head while learning it, understanding how players would interact, etc.

I now have a personal rule which is that I'm not allowed to open a game until I have time to open it, learn it, and play it. (not necessarily at the same time) This tends to stifle my purchasing.

I'm saddend by the number of people who say that they can't get people together to play games, and I count myself as one. In my group I'm the "games guy" and my close friends just don't seem to want to learn new games. Familiar phrases, "why don't we just play hearts" or "will this be difficult to learn" are often heard.

Undaunted, I still buy games... maybe my friends will catch up...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Aaron Gelb
United States
Los Angeles
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Geosphere wrote:

haha, and i like most of us have good senses of humor.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Meeple Steeple
Belgium
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Geosphere wrote:

Ditto ...

This is my devil side speaking :

Count the number of people amongst your friends/family/colleagues that own more than 50 dvd's that they saw only once. Isn't that even more stupid than collecting boardgames? I've bought about 10 boardgames in the past 4 months, but i spent a lot of hours playing those 10 games with friends/family. Those games couldn't have cost me more than 5€ per hour of game play. That's 5€ well spent don't you think? Heck, if they prevented me from going to the much more expensive cinema/pub/whatever, they might have even saved me some money

Geek-devil says : keep buying those games

edit : i'm probably going to hell for this

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul DeStefano
United States
Long Island
New York
flag msg tools
designer
badge
It's a Zendrum. www.zendrum.com
mbmbmbmbmb
SgtSpoon wrote:
Count the number of people amongst your friends/family/colleagues that own more than 50 dvd's that they saw only once.

1) How in the world would anyone know the viewing history of their family, friends and neighbors?

2) Buying a DVD is cheaper than going to the movies with the family.

3) Having a DVD allows you to share it with others.

4) If you own a DVD, you can go a view it again, perhaps 10 years from now. Just because someone hasn't, it doesn't mean they won't.

5) Anyone with small children will attest that many DVDs are watched 50, 100 or more times in a year. Far more often than a game gets played by the same audience and most definitely more time per usage.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Hedke
United States
Gibraltar
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
Most problems can be solved with either a stiff drink, a bowel movement, or a bullet.
mbmbmbmbmb
Its a perfectly acceptable reason/excuse to drink freely?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.