Alastair Cornish
United Kingdom
Bromley
Kent
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi we've been playing that since you access all cards you can after a successful run but may choose the order you access them in, we've had the Runner drawing all the cards he may access from R&D, look at them then pick the order in which they are actually accessed.

Is that right or wrong? Should it be draw > access that one > draw next > access it > draw next access it etc.

Thanks.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lisa Laser
Germany
flag msg tools
mb
One by one!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Taylor Kitto
United States
Idaho
flag msg tools
mb
when I first saw this question, I thought the answer was obvious and looked it up in the rules to quote it, but it is really ambiguous how it's worded.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Taylor
United States
Downers Grove
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Yeah, it's one at a time. You choose on each individual access whether to trash a trashable card. If you choose no, then you don't get to change your mind later.

You might be thinking of accessing on Archives, where you do flop all the cards and then access them in any order of your choosing.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lech Karol Pawłaszek
Poland
Szczecin
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
taylor20k wrote:
when I first saw this question, I thought the answer was obvious and looked it up in the rules to quote it, but it is really ambiguous how it's worded.

ANCUR to the rescue!

http://ancur.wikia.com/wiki/Access_Phase#Accessing_Multiple_...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Allan Clements
Norway
Oslo
flag msg tools
badge
Turns out Esseb did touch the flag. Don't tell him I said so though.
mbmbmbmbmb
For accessing R&D or HQ (the deck or hand), you access one at a time.

Choosing the order only applies to accessing installed cards in a remote server and upgrades protecting central servers (where you can choose to access the upgrades before or after accessing cards from HQ or R&D)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave Kudzma
United States
Millsboro
Delaware
flag msg tools
designer
People are...
badge
SPOCKED!!
mbmbmbmbmb
taylor20k wrote:

I'm not sure what's ambiguous. Under the subsection on Accessing Multiple Cards on page 18 of the rules state:

Quote:
When accessing multiple cards from R&D, the Runner must
draw them in order from the top of the deck, and must return
any cards not scored or trashed in reverse order, so as to
preserve their positions in R&D.

The Runner must fully resolve his access to a card (steal it, pay
to trash it, etc.) before accessing the next card. If the Runner
scores an agenda that gives him seven or more points, he
immediately wins the game, even if he would otherwise access
more cards.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Allan Clements
Norway
Oslo
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Drawing a card from R&D is not the same as accessing it. You can easily draw X cards from R&D, then access them one at a time in the order of your choice and still obey the text you quoted. (which is how it works if you access archives)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Grant Whitesell
United States
Oklahoma
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The order in which they come up is absolutely important, and I do not know of any game effect currently that allows the runner to access in any order from R&D.

Say the Runner is at six agenda points, two cards in hand, with a Medium up with four counters. They run R&D, make it to the root of the server, and elect to access cards.

The three cards that come up are Snare! - ICE - 1 Point Agenda

If you do as some are suggesting, draw your cards off R&D and then *access* in any order, the Runner could then access the agenda, steal it and instantly win the game, disregarding completely the effect of the Snare! This is incorrect as the position of cards in R&D must be maintained - for access as well.

In the above scenario and within the rules of the game, the Runner would be flatlined.

There may be resources in coming cycles that allow Runners multi-accessing R&D to treat it like an Archives run, but right now there isn't.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave Kudzma
United States
Millsboro
Delaware
flag msg tools
designer
People are...
badge
SPOCKED!!
mbmbmbmbmb
Kamakaze wrote:
Drawing a card from R&D is not the same as accessing it. You can easily draw X cards from R&D, then access them one at a time in the order of your choice and still obey the text you quoted. (which is how it works if you access archives)

In Netrunner, Drawing is an action that costs a click to perform. While you do "draw" cards during a run, that's not the terminology that is used, which is important for certain effects and cards.

Runners either Access or Look at corp cards. Accessing a card in R&D is the act of drawing a card or cards as the rules described, one at a time, in order then on-access effects happen. Looking in R&D is different, as in the case with Keyhole or Index for example given they instruct specifically otherwise, and in addition on-access effects do not trigger.

Accessing from Archives is not the question here. However, since you are trying to compare the two types of Access, they are performed differently.

Quote:
The Runner accesses all cards in Archives and any
upgrades in its root. The Runner turns all cards faceup when
accessing them, and does not need to keep them in order. The
Runner steals all agendas in Archives and cannot trash cards
that are already in Archives. After accessing Archives, all
cards in Archives return to Archives faceup.

That's entirely different from accessing R&D:

Quote:

more cards.

These two sections describe their respective types of Access in an entirely different manner.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Allan Clements
Norway
Oslo
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I know what "draw" means as an action, I was just using the term used in your example in this case though. No where does it say access cards one at a time from R&D, it says to first take the top X cards, then access each card fully before moving on.

There is no indication from the first paragraph that the order in which you took the cards, is the order you access them.

I know how accessing actually works, but I can see how the rules are ambiguous.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Allan Clements
Norway
Oslo
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb

Quote:

The Runner must access each card in the order drawn, and fully resolve his access to a card (steal it, pay
more cards.

Something like the above change would make it clearer.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave Kudzma
United States
Millsboro
Delaware
flag msg tools
designer
People are...
badge
SPOCKED!!
mbmbmbmbmb
Kamakaze wrote:
No where does it say access cards one at a time from R&D, it says to first take the top X cards, then access each card fully before moving on.

Quote:
draw them in order from the top of the deck,

Quote:
to trash it, etc.) before accessing the next card.

This, I believe, is the root of the issue. Too many people are thinking "draw" and just drawing whatever they are allotted, and not understanding "access". That's not rules ambiguity, but a learning curve. Getting used to the terminology of NR is definitely a challenge initially. Many players try to apply practices from other games they have played before, but NR is much more technical than most; the unevenness of their card templating aside.

In any case, I don't think there's much of a point to our back and forth. Things were clarified to the OP a few responses in.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Taylor Kitto
United States
Idaho
flag msg tools
mb
Kamakaze wrote:
I know what "draw" means as an action, I was just using the term used in your example in this case though. No where does it say access cards one at a time from R&D, it says to first take the top X cards, then access each card fully before moving on.

There is no indication from the first paragraph that the order in which you took the cards, is the order you access them.

I know how accessing actually works, but I can see how the rules are ambiguous.
that's exactly why I was saying it was ambiguous. I knew the rule beforehand too.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alastair Cornish
United Kingdom
Bromley
Kent
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks all.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.