Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Peter Sanderson
Australia
Melbourne, Aus
flag msg tools
designer
mb
Hi guys! I've recently started writing articles on board game design over on my website.

Heaps of the threads on BGG helped me out so I'm trying not to be a lurker any more and share my knowledge around.

This was one of the hardest things for me, getting custom 3D board game pieces while I was developing and using 3D tools for game mock-ups.

Free tools for making 3D game pieces and 3D mockups

It's mostly because of this forum my dream is becoming a reality, so thanks guys!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Arias
United States
Sanford
FLORIDA
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Never heard of tinkercad I'll have to check that out. My Sketchup experience was meh.

Other than local printing any best practices to keep costs down? I heard hollow designs are great but not clear how you'd do that.

Thanks for finding some stuff us unskilled can use!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Peter Sanderson
Australia
Melbourne, Aus
flag msg tools
designer
mb
Thank you! My sketchup experience was, and still is 'meh' as it's not the most user friendly program but as I mentioned in the article it's a great way for beginners to render artwork for their games.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Lee
United States
East Meadow
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
IT should be noted that Google sold Sketchup and there is no longer any free version of the program, only a paid or trial version.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jack Poon
msg tools
mbmb
One of my friends designs with tinker cad and 3d printed parts. It worked well but some parts did not merge correctly. Sculptris is another free software for 3d modeling that's great for faces and organic shapes.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Peter Sanderson
Australia
Melbourne, Aus
flag msg tools
designer
mb
klz_fc wrote:
IT should be noted that Google sold Sketchup and there is no longer any free version of the program, only a paid or trial version.

Is that true? I might be on an old version, but the website offers a 'pro' version and a normal version which says it's free.

mechapython wrote:
One of my friends designs with tinker cad and 3d printed parts. It worked well but some parts did not merge correctly. Sculptris is another free software for 3d modeling that's great for faces and organic shapes.

Sculptris looks awesome! Is the free version called something? I can't find a link to it on their website.

What's with all these companies so obsessed with money, amirite guys?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jack Poon
msg tools
mbmb
Looks like there is a free download on their website. Can't confirm as I'm on my phone at bgg con.http://pixologic.com/sculptris/

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.