David Chapman
United Kingdom
Aberdeen
flag msg tools
Oh, alright - except for Codenames
badge
No, this is NOT my bloody "fursona"
mbmbmbmbmb
Simple question: can effects that kill an enemy unit be used to directly eliminate a Priest?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ian Clévy
France
Strasbourg
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Jedit wrote:
Simple question: can effects that kill an enemy unit be used to directly eliminate a Priest?

I think the controller of the troop decides which unit dies, I play the same way when units are lost in battle.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tito Head
msg tools
mb
From my reading, the Smite DI card and Initiative power both kill unit of the user's choice, compared to Deadly Trap and units lost via bleed in battle, which explicitly state the player who owns the troop chooses the unit.

Smite: "Destroy 1 enemy unit."
and
Initiative: "When you are attacking, destroy 2 units from the target troop before the beginning of the battle."
VS
Deadly Trap: "As soon as an opposing troop moves into a space occupied by one of yours, your opponent chooses one of his units and destroys it before the Battle starts.""

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Hamish Hector-Taylor
Australia
flag msg tools
Hi there

The French version of the description for Deadly Trap doesn't say 'your opponent chooses one of his units and destroys it'.

It says: 'une unité adverse est détruite avant le début du combat.' which translates to 'one opposing unit is destroyed before the battle starts'.

There isn't an explicit statement of who picks the units in any of the descriptions.

The wording to Smite and Initiative say

Smite: 'Détruisez une unité adverse' - Destroy an opposing unit

Initiative: 'Quand vous attaquez, détruisez deux unités ennemies...' - When you attack, destroy two enemy units.

It reads to me that the same rule applies to all.

It doesn't help with clarifying who chooses though. I can think of arguments for either way. I guess it depends if you want to favour the owner of the card/tile vs the opponent. I imagine it should favour the owner given the way Kemet encourages and rewards positive action.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Hamish Hector-Taylor
Australia
flag msg tools
Havign said that, I actually prefer the way you suggested and how the English rules read - in each situation it's the attacker/agressor who gets to choose.

Smite - the player playing the card chooses
Intitiative - the attacker chooses
Deadly Trap - also the attacker who chooses.

That seems in keeping with the spirit of the game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matagot Contact
Switzerland
flag msg tools
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi everyone,

Sorry I completely missed this thread and another one with a similar question.

The official answer is that everytime a unit has to be killed/destroyed, it is the owner of the targeted troop who decides which unit dies.

That way, you can always protect your priests.

Cheers,

Fabien

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.