Subject: Question on contributing to buildings rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Gary Bradley
United Kingdom
Unspecified
Scotland
flag msg tools
1) When a player contributes to a building, can he pick any free space on it, or do the spaces get filled left to right (e.g in a 5 3 2 building, must the 5 be filled first)? In my first ever game, we played that we needed to fill the spaces from left to right as it simply seemed logical, but on re-reading the rules later I could see no rule that actually said you have to do it like this.

2) On a single turn, can I place more than one cube on the building I am sitting on? This seems an obvious yes, perhaps, but the rules make a meal of it by pointing out that I can make as many contributions as I want to a building, as long as each is done seperately, with seperate cards. I'm not sure if that "seperately" means in seperate turns as well. Could I, for example, contribute to all 3 spaces on a 3-space building and "buyout" the whole thing on one turn, if I can afford to?

3) Now, the Dragons. I ask this question assuming the answer to question (2) is 'yes'... There is comment in the rules about each Dragon awarding one scale, no matter how many contributions I make to a building. How about this example...

I move to building X and manage to engineer that all 3 Dragons land on the building with me. I buy a single space and place one cube. Next turn, the Dragons do not move, and I simply stay put and contribute another single cube to the same building. I get 6 scales total (2 x 3), correct? Whereas if I had placed both cubes in a single turn (assuming I could afford to do this), I'd only get 3 scales total, yes?

4) Again assuming question (2) is 'yes', when contributing 2 cubes in a single turn, can the contributions be constructed in different ways? E.g contribution #1 is a basic 3 Red + 1 Red on a red '4', and #2 is 3x 1 Green on a Red '3'. Legal?

5) Finally, assuming (2) is yes again... if a building has spaces 4 2 free, and I have the two '3' cards in that colour, can I buy both spaces for the 6 total in a single turn?

Thanks in advance. Great game, I really love it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve K
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
badge
GaryB wrote:
1) When a player contributes to a building, can he pick any free space on it, or do the spaces get filled left to right (e.g in a 5 3 2 building, must the 5 be filled first)? In my first ever game, we played that we needed to fill the spaces from left to right as it simply seemed logical, but on re-reading the rules later I could see no rule that actually said you have to do it like this.

You can pick spaces in any order.

GaryB wrote:
2) On a single turn, can I place more than one cube on the building I am sitting on? This seems an obvious yes, perhaps, but the rules make a meal of it by pointing out that I can make as many contributions as I want to a building, as long as each is done seperately, with seperate cards. I'm not sure if that "seperately" means in seperate turns as well. Could I, for example, contribute to all 3 spaces on a 3-space building and "buyout" the whole thing on one turn, if I can afford to?

Yes, you can place in multiple spaces. What the rules are saying is pay for each placement individualy. You therefore cannot use a 4 card + a 2 card to pay for a 3 space + a 3 space (since no change is given when you pay for that first 3 space with a 4 card.

GaryB wrote:
3) Now, the Dragons. I ask this question assuming the answer to question (2) is 'yes'... There is comment in the rules about each Dragon awarding one scale, no matter how many contributions I make to a building. How about this example...

I move to building X and manage to engineer that all 3 Dragons land on the building with me. I buy a single space and place one cube. Next turn, the Dragons do not move, and I simply stay put and contribute another single cube to the same building. I get 6 scales total (2 x 3), correct? Whereas if I had placed both cubes in a single turn (assuming I could afford to do this), I'd only get 3 scales total, yes?

Correct - its one scale per dragon per turn, however many cubes you place.

GaryB wrote:
4) Again assuming question (2) is 'yes', when contributing 2 cubes in a single turn, can the contributions be constructed in different ways? E.g contribution #1 is a basic 3 Red + 1 Red on a red '4', and #2 is 3x 1 Green on a Red '3'. Legal?

Correct - each placement is independent, and no change is given.

GaryB wrote:
5) Finally, assuming (2) is yes again... if a building has spaces 4 2 free, and I have the two '3' cards in that colour, can I buy both spaces for the 6 total in a single turn?

No - you can only place 1 cube since each placement is a seperate transaction, with no change given.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Halleran
United States
Monona
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Gary...

1. When a player contributes to a building, can he pick any free space on it? - yes

2. On a single turn, can I place more than one cube on the building I am sitting on? - yes

3. example is correct about 3 dragons at 2 turns = 6 scales

4. example is correct about being able to use different points and property cards for each contribution. Also note, if you have the white 1, up to four cards from one contribution can be changed (a white 1 can't change color of cards for both contributions).

5. no - You can't take one point off of the first contribution to use towards the second. Note - in your example, if the only way you could build both spots on one turn is by making contributions of 4 and 3 (instead of 4 and 2), you'd waste that point (spending 3 for a 2 spot contribution).

Regards, Chris
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gary Bradley
United Kingdom
Unspecified
Scotland
flag msg tools
Ta for the quick replies. One more question came to mind regarding the White cards, in particular the white '1' which transmutes the colour of up to 4 cards.

1) Do those 4 cards need to be the same colour to begin with? E.g Convert 4x Red 2's to get 4x Blue 2's? (= 8 Blue)

1a) If yes, could one or more of them actually be Green? E.g Convert 3x Red 2's and a Green 1 to get 3x Blue 2's and a Blue 1 (= 7 Blue). I guess it's irrelevant since the Green could be added to the white and 3 Blues in a final step, but I'm just curious.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthew M
United States
New Haven
Connecticut
flag msg tools
admin
8/8 FREE, PROTECTED
badge
513ers Assemble!
mbmbmbmbmb
GaryB wrote:

1) Do those 4 cards need to be the same colour to begin with? E.g Convert 4x Red 2's to get 4x Blue 2's? (= 8 Blue)

Yes

Quote:

1a) If yes, could one or more of them actually be Green? E.g Convert 3x Red 2's and a Green 1 to get 3x Blue 2's and a Blue 1 (= 7 Blue). I guess it's irrelevant since the Green could be added to the white and 3 Blues in a final step, but I'm just curious.

No...because green is a separate color. But, as you say, that is irrelevant.

-MMM

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Werner Bär
Germany
Karlsruhe
Baden
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Octavian wrote:
GaryB wrote:

Yes

Also note that, since you have to pay for each placement individually, you can't use these total worth of 8 blue to place two cubes.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Allen Doum
United States
Orange County
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
GaryB wrote:
Ta for the quick replies. One more question came to mind regarding the White cards, in particular the white '1' which transmutes the colour of up to 4 cards.

I find it easier to explain to say that the white cards turn other cards wild, rather than saying using the language of the rules by saying that they are turned into some other color.

That way there are three sources of wild cards: Green cards that are wild, brown pairs that become a wild 3, and white cards that turn other cards wild.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jack Wraith
United States
Ypsilanti
Michigan (MI)
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Octavian wrote:
GaryB wrote:

Yes

So, you couldn't change two black cards and two red cards to four blue cards? The Hoax 1s make thing wild but not THAT wild?

(And, yes, Matt. I've finally been converted. Wife and I played for the first time last night and really enjoyed it.)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Allen Doum
United States
Orange County
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Jackwraith wrote:
So, you couldn't change two black cards and two red cards to four blue cards? The Hoax 1s make thing wild but not THAT wild?

Correct. You could convert either the black or red cards, but not both with a single white 1.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gary Bradley
United Kingdom
Unspecified
Scotland
flag msg tools
Another 2 quickies if I may...

If I find myself in a position where I am to take 2 Dragon scales, and there is only one left, do I take one, score the scales, return all scales to stock (except those that didn't score), then take my second one?

If 2 people are to take a scale at the same time (note: not sure this is possible, perhaps via a neighbourhood bonus for example), and its the last scale, who gets it?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Neil Cook
United Kingdom
Burton on Trent
Staffs
flag msg tools
badge
I'd agree with everything you were saying, if only you were right...
mbmbmbmbmb
GaryB wrote:
Another 2 quickies if I may...

If I find myself in a position where I am to take 2 Dragon scales, and there is only one left, do I take one, score the scales, return all scales to stock (except those that didn't score), then take my second one?

No. You take the one scale left, and score the second "virtual" scale alongside it in the current round of scorung, before returning scales as necessary. Essentially, all scales won are taken before scoring (keeping a note of "extras" if necessary). None are carried over.

GaryB wrote:
If 2 people are to take a scale at the same time (note: not sure this is possible, perhaps via a neighbourhood bonus for example), and its the last scale, who gets it?

Same answer. They both get one tile and score them, before returning them to the supply.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.