Popular Tags: wargames [+] [View All]
Jayson Abbott
United States
Unspecified
Unspecified
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
I've played both. To answer your questions - the components of FITZ are certainly eye-catching but I didn't feel they made an impact on the game either positive or negative. I was more impressed that the FITZ counters were on thick, quality cardstock and were huge (1"). I do not think that EOTS played better because of the cards - in fact, I felt the opposite. EOTS is basically unplayable solitaire. FITZ made a very good solitaire game.

I have not played SW, but I thought it looked too fussy and table-driven to be very interesting as game, and it's quite expensive. The only other strategic sub game I can think of was SPI's Wolfpack (which was a complete dog) and I can't see that SW is going to put any pizzaz into the topic.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jayson Abbott
United States
Unspecified
Unspecified
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
FITS isn't as simple as Risk or even War At Sea/Victory in the Pacific (both excellent titles even though out of print), but it probably leans towards the easy end of the scale. It has all the play aids it needs: two identical player aid sheets that only differ by having the set-up for that side on each (US/Japan), and a battle board that allows you to track a somewhat involved combat system very elegantly. The naval combat system is unique (and I've played 'em all, Bunky!), the land and air systems aren't anything new, and I picked it all up after a couple of turns of solitaire play.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Brown
United Kingdom
STOCKPORT
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mb
I assume FITZ is Fire in teh Sky, if it isn't ignore this post.

FITS has the potential to be a brilliant game but and it's a big but the rule book is awful. It's a real shame because it appears to have a lot going for it.

EOTS is a very complex game but has some very clever mechanics, I don't think the cards make it too un-solitairable. But beware this game is not for the faint hearted. One of my friends, who live and breaths the Pacific war sold this game as he felt it didn't represnt important aspect of the conflict accuratley enough.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Wolfgang Kunz
Germany
Netphen
flag msg tools
badge
I'm German. That's what we do...
mbmbmbmbmb
Haven't played FitS (Fire in the Sky).

EOTS is fun but a double step up from WW (Wilderness War) that we played last year. It is a good game but more complex than WW. I found it really fascinating but I also like CDGs. The solitaire playability is - as usual with CDGs - hindered by the FoW (Fog of War) which is non-existent. Still not something that keeps me away from playing these games solitaire but something that one should know.

Silent War is GREAT - but IMHO it really shines in the full Campaign game - which means: 200 hours+ and the need to keep it set up (unless you want to note every position of your subs (and there are a lot) and set up the game whenever you have time to play. The rules are very easy to comprehend with a lot of nice examples and if you make your own "flowchart" for the game you can play smooth. It is a simulation - not just a "shooter" and has a fine "pressure of time" so to say because in the Campaign game you have to sink x tons of ships or "you're out".

So beat your own record.

The smaller scenarios are great but didn't grip me as much as the full campaign - so I jumped in it with both feet and not tried to get only one wet.

You see my direction: If you can get Silent War - GO FOR IT. If you want to learn EotS and like to play it this autumn or via cyberboard (as long as we are able to figure out the Card - mechanism) go for EotS.

As much as I enjoy the Pacific War - the map of FitS has turned me off and let me choose EotS instead (something I don't regret concerning EotS).

But I assume if Devils Cauldron comes out before autumn the game is set

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Donald Wilbur III
United States
Sacramento
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Hopefully, since I've got it on preorder, the best answer will be: Asia Engulfed!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Wolfgang Kunz
Germany
Netphen
flag msg tools
badge
I'm German. That's what we do...
mbmbmbmbmb
Me too, but unless you have a split personality block-games work best with two.

But I confess - I play Europe Engulfed solitaire too.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adam Starkweather
United States
Commack
New York
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
The FitS rulebook is 16 pages long - not including the optionals and notes...

Haven't heard a lot of people having trouble with the base mechanics - but the little or rare things could have received better exposition.

It is a little "different" from the other games on this topic so for gamers that assume things that aren't there based on other games, it can be a tough learn.

You can read the rules and find out for yourself: http://www.multimanpublishing.com/IGS/prodfits.php

As with any of my games, I am happy to help out if you need something answered.

Adam

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jon Gautier

Rhinebeck
New York
msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Owen, reading these posts just shows me that you have to see for yourself.

I think the FitS rulebook is very, very good. In admittedly limited play I have found EotS difficult and fiddly (and I love Mark Herman's other games). I also don't like Silent War (you can read my comments on it here on BGG). Moreover, Silent War is totally different from FitS and EotS--there is no comparison between SW and the other two other than the fact that the three games are based on the Pacific War.

If you know one of the people posting here and whether their tastes resemble yours or not, then perhaps their comments have more meaning for you. Otherwise, our words are not very useful.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.