Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Dave Rathbun
United States
Dallas
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Are X-Wings interchangeable or are they pilot specific? Meaning can I put Luke in a newer T-70 X-Wing to take advantage of the better dial, or is he stuck on the original?

My assumption is that yes, Luke is stuck, since the pilot card and the ship dial are exact matches, but I figured I would at least ask.

Thanks

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bryce K. Nielsen
United States
Elk Ridge
Utah
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
SPOILERS?!?!

Oh wait, you're asking if we can put the existing X-Wing in the T-70, not saying that Luke flies a T-70 in the new movies?

X-Wing ties the pilot to a ship, which IMHO is perfectly fine. Star Trek Attack Wind does not, and then you get weird min/max crossovers like Picard flying a Bird of Prey, etc. What I hope to see is the cross-over pilots have their own pilot card, like seeing Corran in an X-Wing card, etc.

-shnar
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave Rathbun
United States
Dallas
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Right. I was asking if I could put Luke as a pilot into a T-70 for a game session tomorrow night. I'm a rookie, so I'm trying to think outside the box.

Haven't seen the movie yet.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Minnesota
flag msg tools
Test Candidate (sans Deadly Neurotoxin)
badge
Warming up the deadly neurotoxin...
mbmbmbmbmb
Each named pilot is specific to a craft type. They are balanced and their cost in points is based on the ship they are in. Luke is in an X-Wing (T-65). He would be super broken in a T-70.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Dunford
Canada
Kemptville
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Or, have a look at Poe. He's got something very similar to Luke's ability and he's in a T-70. Sure, he requires a Focus token, but there's no shortage of ways to make sure a Rebel ship has a Focus token, and his ability works on both offense and defense, and he combos about as well with R5-P8 as Luke does with R2-D2.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave Rathbun
United States
Dallas
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
... but... it's Luke. Luke has to be flying.

I'm one of those guys where following a theme makes the game better. It doesn't feel right if Han isn't flying the falcon, and Luke has to be in an X-Wing. I know it's not always the best strategic move, point wise.

I'm also one of "those guys" who likes the original better than the recut release.

All kidding aside, I could not fit Luke - in either version of the X-Wing - (or Poe) into my build for the session tonight, but I am flying at least one X-Wing. I'm flying the blue rookie (or whatever he's called) in the T-70. I am still a raw noob so I expect to get my rear kicked but I'm flying two B's, a T-70, and an A. The B's are my tanks, and I hope to do major damage with them, and the T-70 and A are going to fly around the outside and hopefully chip away at the attackers who I anticipate will be focusing on the B's. I used Veteran Instincts on both of the rookie pilots to try to keep them from being completely outclassed as far as pilot skill. (PS = Pilot Skill, right? I'm still learning some of the acronyms.)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Dunford
Canada
Kemptville
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
If you want to get Luke flying, try this squad, with which I had mixed results (played a couple casual nights and a recent tournament with it):

Luke Skywalker / Push the Limit / R2-D2 / Engine Upgrade (39)
Poe Dameron / Push the Limit / R5-P8 / Autothrusters (39)
Airen Cracken / Wingman (21)

Cracken ensures the others get actions (and clears a stress), while the main guns boost around and regenerate shields. And all 3 pilots activate at PS8, which is especially convenient when you want Cracken to shoot first to pass off an action. It can be a really tough squad to play against for non-swarmy squads. The trick is making sure Cracken can keep up with his faster wingmen.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave Rathbun
United States
Dallas
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The league rules for the next month or so are for 120 points / 4 ship minimum. Do you have suggestions for what to do with the extra 21 points if I start with your list?

I know Luke and Poe; I haven't read up on Cracken yet. *goes off to X-Wing wiki to read...*

Thanks!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J Chav
United States
Taylorsville
Utah
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Offically you can't move pilots to other ships. However during an interview with I think Frank he was all for causal games flying them how you want to. This was specific to Mareek Steele if I remember right and people wanting him in the Defender, Or it could have been Luke to an E-Wing.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel Rodriguez
United States
Rochester
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Danath wrote:
Offically you can't move pilots to other ships. However during an interview with I think Frank he was all for causal games flying them how you want to. This was specific to Mareek Steele if I remember right and people wanting him in the Defender, Or it could have been Luke to an E-Wing.

If you are doing OP then you have to follow the rules. Casual play, do what you like! It's your game, your game table. As long as you and your crew are having a good time, that's all that counts.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J Chav
United States
Taylorsville
Utah
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
danrodz wrote:
Danath wrote:

If you are doing OP then you have to follow the rules. Casual play, do what you like! It's your game, your game table. As long as you and your crew are having a good time, that's all that counts.

That's almost exactly what he said.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rick Ricken
Sweden
Stockholm
flag msg tools
Hmm, you just put an idea into my head: What if the upcoming T-70 X-Wing pack has "old Luke" as a pilot?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Patrick Reynolds
United States
Vermontville
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Rickenbacker69 wrote:
Hmm, you just put an idea into my head: What if the upcoming T-70 X-Wing pack has "old Luke" as a pilot?

I'm kind of hoping that Luke still has his original X-Wing in the new movie. Like how some guys will keep a favorite 30-year-old car in their garage or barn, and bring it out for parades or car shows.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.