United States
Gilbert
Arizona
flag msg tools
designer
badge
“Whilst I count my schnookels”
mbmbmbmbmb
There were a couple comments about how nice it would be to have a minis painting thread. So here we are.

This can be a central place for the 1 Player Guild to talk about minis. Ask questions, give tips, post pictures, whatever you want.

So let's get to it, and I'll start.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ryan Mayes
United States
Gilbert
Arizona
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
How do you prefer to mount your minis while you're painting them?

I like to use the plastic lid from a soda bottle. I dab a little bit of white glue to hold the mini. It works well, and comes off easily. Also, it doesn't matter if I get paint on the plastic lid. I just toss it out when I'm done.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Brown
New Zealand
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
this video series is really good: Sotrastro's Painting
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin L. Kitchens
United States
Gainesville
Georgia
flag msg tools
designer
Snowflakes Melt
badge
Snowflakes Melt
mbmbmbmbmb
Malaiser wrote:

I like to use the plastic lid from a soda bottle. I dab a little bit of white glue to hold the mini. It works well, and comes off easily. Also, it doesn't matter if I get paint on the plastic lid. I just toss it out when I'm done.

I bought some mini wooden spools and use blue poster putty to hold them to them. Or prescription bottles. Or film canisters (from when cameras used film).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nick Wade
Australia
Melbourne
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I use tongue depressors (you can get big packs from craft shops) and use craft wood glue to hold them in place while I paint.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nick Wade
Australia
Melbourne
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The other tip I would suggest on painting is to say that Army Painter quick shade is your friend, especially for people who want to paint their minis but think either they can't do it or they don't have time.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sheldon Lanes
Canada
St. Albert
Alberta
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Malaiser wrote:

Up to this point i've been a savage and just held them in my hand, but the thought of attaching them to a cork or a lid sounds pretty good.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthew Galer
United States
Atlanta
Georgia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
depends upon how good the base is.

If the mini has a large stable base, i generally just go with it

Smaller bases need something - film canisters are great (and I still have a bunch in my painting toolkit). Use glue for plastic minis, or modelling putty for metal ones.

I have done assembly lines before just using a strip of cardboard long enough to hold 3 minis in a row. But I'm more of a 1 at a time kind of painter so dont do this often, even though it would probably help me get through the MANY primed but unpainted figures I have.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Hal Martin
Canada
Edmonton
Alberta
flag msg tools
Love my Oilers!
badge
I miss my boy :(
mbmbmbmbmb
Yeah I use my hand for larger bases but for small bases I use old paint pots or corks, and like Kevin, I use the blue poster putty. Take a small ball, put it under the base and mash it to the surface. Comes off after and is reusable. I just keep it in a small game baggy in my paint kit so it stays fresher.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ulfengaard Hrafnson
United States
Cameron Park
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Malaiser wrote:

There are two screws with large plastic heads for my rolling laptop table. I put sticky tack on them and use them to hold and rotate the minis.

I just want to mention my support for this thread. I enjoy this hobby quite a bit and look forward to sharing it with the 1PG.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Breckenridge
United States
Richmond
Rhode Island
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I've painted scores of metal RPG miniatures, but I want to get started on doing plastic boardgame minis. I'm going to begin with Shadows of Brimstone, because figures you have to assembly just makes it more fun. Maybe I'll eventually get confident enough that I'll be able to do games with prettier figures.

My only problem is that I probably picked the wrong time of year to use spray primer. I think maybe I'll run a space heater in the garage for a while to heat it up, then turn off the heater before spraying the figures, and then bring them into the house to dry, setting them on a dropcloth or newspaper. Does this plan sound feasible?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andreas
Germany
flag msg tools
badge
Diet Coke!!!
mbmbmbmbmb
Love that idea! I haven't been painting much these past weeks. I only painted one mini as a birthday gift:

For our new Pathfinder RPG party. That female gnome druid is the first member of it.

I really like the idea of this thread and I hope I can get some good information to improve my painting.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sheldon Lanes
Canada
St. Albert
Alberta
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
That's some nice work J.P and Andreas.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andreas
Germany
flag msg tools
badge
Diet Coke!!!
mbmbmbmbmb
Thank you Sheldon! I think I am not the best painter but I am really happy with my results.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sheldon Lanes
Canada
St. Albert
Alberta
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I hear you on the stressful and fun bit. I've lost count of how many times I break out all the paints and tools and pick a game to work on then just get overwhelmed by the total number of figures in the game and play the game instead. . . ninja

The eyes always give me grief, yours look so good Andreas.

A recent tool I acquired that was cheap yet I find handy was a wet palette, it lets me take more time without worrying about my paint drying out (before that I used old margarine lid containers to mix/hold paint I was using shake). Really good for mixing up custom colours too.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Hal Martin
Canada
Edmonton
Alberta
flag msg tools
Love my Oilers!
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
jbrecken wrote:

My only problem is that I probably picked the wrong time of year to use spray primer. I think maybe I'll run a space heater in the garage for a while to heat it up, then turn off the heater before spraying the figures, and then bring them into the house to dry, setting them on a dropcloth or newspaper. Does this plan sound feasible?

Absolutely fine. Prime them out there, and if it's a decent temp, let them sit there for a few minutes before running them inside, it just let's the prime settle and dry a bit.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Antonia
Germany
Wolfsburg
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Here are some resources that might be helpful.

Professional Tutorials
There are three very good tutorials one can buy out there. Additionally Sorasto's painting guide is quite good. But especially the first guide listed here gives a way deeper knowledge of the techniques, whereas Sorastro gives tips that might be not as easy transformable to other miniatures/color schemes.

- Citadel How to Paint Minatures
This is a very good guide from Games Workshop explaining the different painting techniques in detail. You can buy a book with DVD. Fortunately somebody uploaded the videos on Youtube and made a complete series of them:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dSx8ZBQlM_s
The very first video is very important for me. I always see people here on BGG who have nicely painted figures and did not remove the mold lines. As a perfectionists that drives me crazy.

- Jérémie Bonamant Teboul
He is a French guy who specializes in sculptures. He wrote some tutorial books and they are supposed to be very good. Sadly I did not get the chance to take a look at them. Here is his website:
http://jeremiebt.com/en/welcome/

- Angel Giraldez
He paints the miniatures for Infinity the game. He is an incredible artist and really knows how to handle the airbrush. For everybody proficient in the airbrush who wants to get more tips (for example how to do his non-metallic metal): Read his "Masterclass Vol. 1" book. For people only working with a brush this is not the perfect resource.

My (Descent) Painting Guide
I made a small painting guide that basically describes the drybrush technique. It is not the best worded out there but it might be helpful for some of you guys.
As stupid as it sounds: The stuff I painted looks way better than in reality, to make a good photograph of miniatures takes some talent in my opinion.

Here is one of the two examples shown there:

Additional Miniature Pictures
And this one of my Infinity guys. And yes, the background was a stupid idea for the photos I just photographed him right where he stood.

And some zombies from Zombicide, sadly there are some molding lines I forgot:

Tradoshian hunter from Imperial Assault:
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Hal Martin
Canada
Edmonton
Alberta
flag msg tools
Love my Oilers!
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Having troubles adding pupils to eyes? A fine tipped permanent marker works perfectly. Nice, round and exactly where you want them.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brad Rochford
United States
Summerfield
NC
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I currently rely on my game group members who have picked up painting to paint the minis in my collection. Unfortunately, they have started picking up their own sets of the games and are painting their sets now so I figure I should learn how to paint mini's and rely on my own skills instead of the generosity of others ;-).

What beginners paint set would you guys recommend? I have watched Sorostros Imperial Assault tutorials and think I can use those as guides. Another idea I had was to go buy some army men and practice on them but am not sure if the cost of practicing would be worth it or just jump in and paint the actual game mini's.

I have also thought of possibly getting one of our game nights to be a paint/tutorial night for the group but haven't tested the waters yet.

TIA for any direction or input.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin L. Kitchens
United States
Gainesville
Georgia
flag msg tools
designer
Snowflakes Melt
badge
Snowflakes Melt
mbmbmbmbmb
I use craft paints... I prefer the "Ceramcoat" brand personally. I made a solution of Finish floor wax (acrylic) and water (80:20) and thin the paints with that.

Much more affordable and yep, just as good.

For primer, I get Krylon spray on.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Erskine
United States
Alexandria
Kentucky
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Great idea for a thread. I just hold them. I feel so barbaric.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Antonia
Germany
Wolfsburg
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Agen7_0range wrote:
What beginners paint set would you guys recommend?
Company-wise I highly recommend Vallejo.
For several reasons:
- a little bit more liquid than the Citadel (GW paints)
- do not dry so fast
- easy to dose

They have complete paint sets that are quite costly and a lot of smaller ones to start with. Just have a look at some of them, one example would be this paint set:
http://www.amazon.com/Game-Color-Intro-Set-16/dp/B000PHCTRK/...
Additionally I would recommend to buy at least one washing paint to finish up faces.

They have three different lines
- Color: This is the paint line most of you want to get, it has some bright colors and is quite similar to the Citadel color range
- Model: Paints that are more "discreet" and are not that bright. Highly recommend for painting army models
- Air: Very thin paints, should be only used when working with an airbrush

My second choice would be the Games Workshop paints. Their paint sub-company is called "Citadel".

At least in Germany/Europe Citadel paints are more expensive than Vallejo paints and have several disadvantages like drying up quite fast and not being that easy to dose.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris C.
United States
Yardley
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Agen7_0range wrote:
What beginners paint set would you guys recommend?

I primarily use Citadel paints these days after using the cheaper hobby paints for awhile. I find that the Citadel paints go on more evenly and hold up much better to thinning. This makes it quicker and easier to to paint in layers and control the overall paint application. I've heard good things about Vallejo, but at this point I feel like i'm too invested in the Citadel line to switch. I would definitely recommend going with either one of these two brands if you have the extra cash and think you'll continue to paint.

For primer... I generally use whatever is cheapest at my local hardware store. This usually means something from the Krylon line.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ryan Mayes
United States
Gilbert
Arizona
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I also use craft paints, but I think I might switch to fancier paints if I really get into painting.

Hal, I like the idea of the poster putty. I'll have to try that out.

I've used Gesso as a primer before. I thinned out the Gesso and painted a thin layer on the minis. That worked well, and might be a good alternative to spray primer.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stu Garside
United Kingdom
Andover
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
This is such a great thread, top work all. :)

A couple of months ago I made the decision to have a go at painting some of my board game minis with the eventual aim of putting together the minis that come in the Malifaux Starter Set. Currently, the Malifaux minis are still on their sprues, I'm getting grips with painting but gluing and assembling still seems like a step too far. ;)

I've found that my best results have come from the minis in the Zombicide base set. I guess Zombies are pretty easy to paint. I've also done a couple of Skellies from Myth and a few zombies and a hero from Descent. I'm currently finishing up one of the Myth heroes and have started on one of the heroes from Super Dungeon Explore : Forgotten King. I'm kinda regarding it all as practice really so that I don't get too grumpy when I make a mistake. :D I've started to learn though, that making mistakes is kinda part of it and that most things are fixable given enough time. One quote that stuck with me from a different painting thread on BGG was that you don't really stop making mistakes, you just get better at dealing with them. :D

That said a few things I have learned from experience that might help anyone else around the same point of the learning curve as me:
- Be really careful when priming, too little is much much much better than too much. This is especially true of minis of a lower quality. ;)
- The same also applies when applying wash, some of the tutorials I watched just said to slop it on. That doesn't necessarily apply to all washes. Putting a coat of water on a mini before washing can help the wash to move to the appropriate areas.
- Get yourself some decent brushes, I tried to use some cheaper brushes from a hobby store but they were just awful compared to the more expensive ones from Citadel or Army Painter.
- Don't worry if you produce a duffer, it'll still look pretty cool on the table when you're playing.

My current struggle is getting things to look 'neat', especially on the fine detail or places that are hard to get the brush too. I think that's probably only going to get better with practice. I've used a whole range of different paints (Citadel, Vallejo and Army Painter) and, to be honest, for a beginner like me I'm struggling to tell the difference. The Army Painter Zombicide specific sets are quite nice if you're planning on painting minis from that game and I've found that they're not too pricey on Amazon. That said I'm likely to settle on the Citadel paints purely because, in the UK at least, they're so much easier to get hold of. Being able to walk into town on a lunch break and grab a couple of pots of the specific colour I need is much easier than having to put an order together from an online store.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2 , 3 , 4 , 5  Next »  [266] |