Santa Cruz
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
ogoctopus wrote:
Those display cases are dope!

I just keep my stuff in Sterlite drawers on the bookshelves. My cats love to climb so bookcases are out, and we don't have space for glass cabinets.

I do need more terrain storage, though... I'm at the point where I need another under-bed storage container.

Thanks!

Almost all my stuff is in Sterlite drawers and bins. Just bought some more for "big" mini storage. My dad made those cases so he could see them more, besides when I finish painting them.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris
United States
Burnsville
Minnesota
flag msg tools
Lorenthia is gone, The Shadow Deep has swallowed it whole.
badge
"Like a monkey, ready to be shot into space. Space monkey! Ready to sacrifice himself for the greater good. Without pain, without sacrifice, we would have nothing!" -Tyler Durden
mbmbmbmbmb
sixthecat wrote:
ogoctopus wrote:

I just keep my stuff in Sterlite drawers on the bookshelves. My cats love to climb so bookcases are out, and we don't have space for glass cabinets.

I do need more terrain storage, though... I'm at the point where I need another under-bed storage container.

Thanks!

Almost all my stuff is in Sterlite drawers and bins. Just bought some more for "big" mini storage. My dad made those cases so he could see them more, besides when I finish painting them.

That's a really awesome way to showcase your favorites. And, such a thoughtful gesture, in more ways than one, not only did he make that for you, but he did it because he wants to see more of your work!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Josh Malbon
United States
Santa Cruz
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
ogoctopus wrote:
sixthecat wrote:
ogoctopus wrote:

Thanks!

That's a really awesome way to showcase your favorites. And, such a thoughtful gesture, in more ways than one, not only did he make that for you, but he did it because he wants to see more of your work!

My dad's awesome! So grateful for my family.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Derek Winning
United States
Missouri
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Those are all some great ways to display your work everyone! I’m just starting to think of how I’m going to display mine. Right now I just have a sheet tray on my desk with all my IA minis. whistle

Speaking of IA minis I just finished my E-Web Engineers. I went for a quicker paint job on these since I’ve already used these same techniques on the other stormtroopers. I’m pretty happy with how they turned out. I will be trying out the new citadel contrast paints on my final set of stormtroopers. I figure having multiple sculpts of similar figures is a good time to try some new techniques and new paints/products.

So I’m nearing the end of the baddies for the IA core game. I’m in the middle of painting the sandpeople, I have four more stormtroopers, and Darth Vader. After that all I have is the heroes. I have the Jabba’s Realm expansion but I was thinking about switching to something else for a while in between. Well lo and behold something showed up at my door the other day that I think will prove an exciting challenge for me. I feel a little overwhelmed by the detail and how tiny some of the pieces are, but I’m up for the challenge. I’m really going to have to step my painting game up though to do these figures justice. Don’t expect any of these painted soon, but they are in the pipeline. First I have to crack that 100+ page rulebook though.....

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Josh Malbon
United States
Santa Cruz
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb

Some mechs. The purple on the first mech's rocket launcher bled a bit into the white. Decided to go with it and spread the pink to the other parts. It's my girl Icicle's mech now. She likes pink and blue.

I had to hold off on the Battletech kickstarter that just ended recently. There's a few mechs I really want doubles of, but I decided to wait until they reach retail. Most of the stuff they were offering didn't really grab me, except for a few sculpts that I adore.

Really wish the Battletech rules were more solo-friendly. I hope the Valkyrie solo mech game lives up to the promise. I'll use my Battletech mechs there.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Josh Malbon
United States
Santa Cruz
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Donutz McGoo wrote:

Those cats look sweet!

I so wish that system was 28mm. I like to bleed my minis over to different games.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kristin .
United States
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
ogoctopus wrote:
How much were they on sale? Micheals periodically has sales on craft storage. I've seen something similar to that.

Usually, when they do that I'm picking up replacements for board game boxes that have too many expansions to fit, and occasionally terrain and actual crafts storage.

I never thought about minis.

I want to say something like $15? Like most things at Michaels, too expensive at full price, but priced kind of about right during the very frequent sales. They are actually quite nice hard and very clear thick acrylic - not flimsy or cheap at all. While right now they have unpainted minis in them, I actually got them so I could store my painted minis and still be able to see and appreciate them all - I got like 3 or 4 of them. (I think they go on sale whenever they put craft storage on sale...)

What's nice is that the drawers (three sections per drawer, with multiple minis fitting in each section) are generally tall enough for most minis.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris
United States
Burnsville
Minnesota
flag msg tools
badge
"Like a monkey, ready to be shot into space. Space monkey! Ready to sacrifice himself for the greater good. Without pain, without sacrifice, we would have nothing!" -Tyler Durden
mbmbmbmbmb
sixthecat wrote:
I so wish that system was 28mm. I like to bleed my minis over to different games.
Is IA something goofy like 22mm like Descent?

I guess that's more of a problem when most of the minis are bipeds.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Derek Winning
United States
Missouri
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I think it’s more like 32mm
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris
United States
Burnsville
Minnesota
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Well, this just crept it's way back on my wishlist.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bryan
United States
Oviedo
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I copied what this fellow did with the magnetized bases and magnetic sheets. I was foolish enough to think I'd be playing with other people at the local Warhammer store. So portability was on my list, but it turned out to work very well and make a good storage system.
https://belchedfromthedepths.blogspot.com/2013/05/the-quest-...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jay Jasper
United States
New Mexico
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
That looks like a very practical storage set-up. I got a couple of pluck foam bags, and they’re ok, but a bit of a pain, and expensive.

I’ll have to look into the gem trays; my SoB collection needs to be able to travel easily. And it keeps growing! Don’t know what to do about their huge figures, tho’. But that’s in the distant future for now.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bryan
United States
Oviedo
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
DonkeyJay wrote:
That looks like a very practical storage set-up. I got a couple of pluck foam bags, and they’re ok, but a bit of a pain, and expensive.

I’ll have to look into the gem trays; my SoB collection needs to be able to travel easily. And it keeps growing! Don’t know what to do about their huge figures, tho’. But that’s in the distant future for now.

I have some foam storage as well. I had some issues with my smaller figures with point objects such as spears getting stuck sometimes.

There are draw backs to the magnets:
1. It takes a lot of time to magnetize bases
2. If figures get too close they may clump (only had happen once or twice)
3. It's not as protective. Large bumps or brake slamming may cause them to detach from the sheet.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jay Jasper
United States
New Mexico
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I find it rather remarkable that time is mentioned. It only takes a few seconds to glue a magnet on for me. What in the world are you all doing that takes so much time? Especially relative to the time it takes to paint the figure.

As for slamming on the brakes...well, I figure that’s pr’ly less likely than someone actually dropping the mini, which happens, but not often, so I’m good with the chances of that. But thanks for the heads up.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kristin .
United States
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
DonkeyJay wrote:
I find it rather remarkable that time is mentioned. It only takes a few seconds to glue a magnet on for me. What in the world are you all doing that takes so much time? Especially relative to the time it takes to paint the figure.

As for slamming on the brakes...well, I figure that’s pr’ly less likely than someone actually dropping the mini, which happens, but not often, so I’m good with the chances of that. But thanks for the heads up.

When I magnetize bases, the time component is drying time, not so much hands on time. So if you plan it right, it's not an issue, but if not, it gets in the way of the next step you might want to do...

I've now built four Warcry war bands as well as the chaotic beasts in the starter set, and they are ALL pointy/fiddly in a way that would definitely break if transported (or maybe even stored) in foam, so I'm definitely magnetizing the bases. But I've decided to do it at the end, because occasionally a tool or other item will attract itself to the base, and I'd rather not worry about that while painting, etc.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave J
United States
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
ogoctopus wrote:
sixthecat wrote:

IA is a bit odd and I hear it’s not the same scale as Legion but I’ve never seen them side by side. A lot of the sculpts especially the humans look a bit goofy to me. Really rounded edges. Looks more toyish style. Plastic is soft enough to have bendy sabers and guns. It’s the main reason I’ve never bought it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Derek Winning
United States
Missouri
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
typo360 wrote:
ogoctopus wrote:
sixthecat wrote:

IA is a bit odd and I hear it’s not the same scale as Legion but I’ve never seen them side by side. A lot of the sculpts especially the humans look a bit goofy to me. Really rounded edges. Looks more toyish style. Plastic is soft enough to have bendy sabers and guns. It’s the main reason I’ve never bought it.

Sculpts are not great. A few figures have been really frustrating to paint due to this.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jay Jasper
United States
New Mexico
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Kush7 wrote:
DonkeyJay wrote:

When I magnetize bases, the time component is drying time, not so much hands on time. So if you plan it right, it's not an issue, but if not, it gets in the way of the next step you might want to do...

I've now built four Warcry war bands as well as the chaotic beasts in the starter set, and they are ALL pointy/fiddly in a way that would definitely break if transported (or maybe even stored) in foam, so I'm definitely magnetizing the bases. But I've decided to do it at the end, because occasionally a tool or other item will attract itself to the base, and I'd rather not worry about that while painting, etc.

Oh, I always magnetize last, after sealing. I use my various ink bottles to prop them upside down while they dry.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bryan
United States
Oviedo
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
DonkeyJay wrote:
Kush7 wrote:
DonkeyJay wrote:

Oh, I always magnetize last, after sealing. I use my various ink bottles to prop them upside down while they dry.

Time is relative. For a massive army it takes some time to get the glue to set and make sure it's placed properly, etc. It's time consuming but not as much as painting a mini.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jay Jasper
United States
New Mexico
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Ah...just another reason for me not to do massive armies!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Yan Bertrand
France
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Donutz McGoo wrote:
typo360 wrote:
Sculpts are not great. A few figures have been really frustrating to paint due to this.
Ah? Which ones? I'm surprised. I've been very impressed with them so far (but have alledgedly only started filing some, no primer applied yet). Nothing collector's level, but still very good sculpts (if I exclude the rendering of Han's and Leia's faces).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris
United States
Burnsville
Minnesota
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
DonkeyJay wrote:

Curious, how many people here do large armies? I think most of us are board gamers and skirmish gamers, or somewhere in the middle?

Anyone out there do large battle games?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris
United States
Burnsville
Minnesota
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm looking into basing with cork. So far I have never needed to pin anything but looks like its pretty necessary with Cork bases for rock outcrops.

Is there some go-to 1pg recommendation for drills and pinning?

I'm ambivalent about giving in to GW, as I've found their products useful but overpriced versions of existing crafting products.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave B
United States
Tigard
Oregon
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
ogoctopus wrote:
DonkeyJay wrote:

Curious, how many people here do large armies? I think most of us are board gamers and skirmish gamers, or somewhere in the middle?

Anyone out there do large battle games?

Not large, no.

I do own (and have played) Dragon Rampant: Fantasy Wargaming Rules and similar rules. In that set of rules units are generally 6 or 12 figures, although it has options for doing things like counting a major hero as if it were a unit of 6. Or use a smaller number of figures and kept track of losses. That said, I do have enough miniatures from all the years I have been painting to make enough units of 6 or 12 figures. But I never did get around to playing games with 20 figures or more per unit (except for a couple of games of The Sword and the Flame with 15mm figures back in the 80s. There was a time back then that I thought I would get into things like Warhammer, etc., but I didn't have local players and lost interest myself.

Aside from the time it takes to paint enough figures I also found I don't enjoy painting lots of practically identical figures. They also need a big table for a good battle. I find I get more enjoyment out of painting more different minis, and prefer smaller games without a lot of figures to push around.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris
United States
Burnsville
Minnesota
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I know we have at least one person here prepping for Minigeddon. That's more a large skirmish.

I'm hoping to get an epic scale (6mm) army worthy of NetEA going eventually too.

Seems it would be easier to justify a larger force at that scale.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
[1]  Prev «  264 , 265 , 266 , 267 , 268  Next »  [278] |