Popular Tags: [View All]
Brian Davis
United States
Hobbs
New Mexico
flag msg tools
This was a triumph
badge
But there's no sense crying over every mistake. You just keep on trying til' you run out of cake.
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm trying to paint the cover for my secret santa target and I think it's coming along ok. thoughts?

Any ideas to improve it before moving on to the next oarts?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Will Martin
United States
Arlington
Virginia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
That's pretty darn good and your secret santa target should be super happy to get this!

What is your usual style to painting? Full detail in the background then moving inwards to the foreground with the same detail? I was taught to paint one way, but knowing your style will help a lot more on commenting.

The clouds are brilliant (ABSOLUTELY FUCKING GORGEOUS) and I love what you did with the water. I can't wait to see the finished product. The only major issue I have is that in the box art, you can clearly tell it's a humanoid statue type thing moving towards the shore. In your version, I wasn't super clear on what it was. I thought it was a mountain at first.

But that's not a bad thing, just the only thing that jumped out at me.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ryan Laukat
United States
Sandy
Utah
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Caedmus wrote:
I'm trying to paint the cover for my secret santa target and I think it's coming along ok. thoughts?

Wow, this is super impressive! Nice job. You really nailed the colors. I'm excited to see it progress.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Davis
United States
Hobbs
New Mexico
flag msg tools
This was a triumph
badge
But there's no sense crying over every mistake. You just keep on trying til' you run out of cake.
mbmbmbmbmb
Rimewisp wrote:
That's pretty darn good and your secret santa target should be super happy to get this!

What is your usual style to painting? Full detail in the background then moving inwards to the foreground with the same detail? I was taught to paint one way, but knowing your style will help a lot more on commenting.

The clouds are brilliant (ABSOLUTELY FUCKING GORGEOUS) and I love what you did with the water. I can't wait to see the finished product. The only major issue I have is that in the box art, you can clearly tell it's a humanoid statue type thing moving towards the shore. In your version, I wasn't super clear on what it was. I thought it was a mountain at first.

It's been a challenge because this subject is so unlike my normal painting style, which is very little color blending, lots of outlining, hardening of the lines and some abstraction. I usually work background to foreground, but typically color blocking then outlining then detailing (highlights and shadows). This one I've done more detailing along the way because I wasn't sure how well I would do on the detailing of the clouds and water.

I'm trying to think of a way to make the Titan stand out more As a humanoid but not to still be subtly hidden by the clouds.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Davis
United States
Hobbs
New Mexico
flag msg tools
This was a triumph
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
mechanicalfish wrote:
Caedmus wrote:

Wow, this is super impressive! Nice job. You really nailed the colors. I'm excited to see it progress.

Thanks Ryan!

Imitation is the greatest form of flattery some say

Hoping I can do your original art justice!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Will Martin
United States
Arlington
Virginia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Caedmus wrote:
Rimewisp wrote:

It's been a challenge because this subject is so unlike my normal painting style, which is very little color blending, lots of outlining, hardening of the lines and some abstraction. I usually work background to foreground, but typically color blocking then outlining then detailing (highlights and shadows). This one I've done more detailing along the way because I wasn't sure how well I would do on the detailing of the clouds and water.

I'm trying to think of a way to make the Titan stand out more As a humanoid but not to still be subtly hidden by the clouds.

In the end, now that I know what it is, it stands out as what it is, so if it's too big of a deal, there is no issue keeping it the way it is. Was just making a comment since you looked like you were looking for feedback.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Davis
United States
Hobbs
New Mexico
flag msg tools
This was a triumph
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Rimewisp wrote:
Caedmus wrote:
Rimewisp wrote:

In the end, now that I know what it is, it stands out as what it is, so if it's too big of a deal, there is no issue keeping it the way it is. Was just making a comment since you looked like you were looking for feedback.

I appreciate the feedback as that was what I was looking for for sure. I did a little bit of subtle highlighting on the edges to help it stand out a bit this morning and mildly tweaked the clouds around him to help give him more shape. Made some very subtle changes but I think it helps! Very much appreciate the feedback!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Davis
United States
Hobbs
New Mexico
flag msg tools
This was a triumph
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Here's the progress I made today. Just have to paint the ships and do some clean-up and I think it'll be good to go!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ryan Laukat
United States
Sandy
Utah
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Caedmus wrote:
Here's the progress I made today. Just have to paint the ships and do some clean-up and I think it'll be good to go!

Beautiful! The elephant-titan looks awesome.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Davis
United States
Hobbs
New Mexico
flag msg tools
This was a triumph
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Wellp, here's the finished painting! I hope my target likes it!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Greg
United States
Lowell
Indiana
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Very awesome work Brian!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Will Martin
United States
Arlington
Virginia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I super wish you had been my Secret Santa now. Gosh, I would have framed this for like, ever.

Whoever is getting this is one lucky board gamer.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Davis
United States
Hobbs
New Mexico
flag msg tools
This was a triumph
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks guys! Appreciate it! Also will, thanks for the feedback!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls