Twilight Struggle» Forums » Rules

Subject: a couple questions about corner cases rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Richard Woods
United States
Maryland
flag msg tools
1. If Star Wars or Missile Envy pulls any of the following cards, do we ignore the conditional present on the card? (Some of these I believe I know the answer to from having read the FAQ or collected rulings, but I'm asking anyway to be completely sure.)
a. WARGAMES (If DEFCON 2)
b. NATO (Play only after 'Marshall Plan' or 'Warsaw Pact Formed')
c. The Cambridge Five (Cannot be played as an event in Late War)
d. Kitchen Debates (If the US controls more Battleground countries than the USSR)
e. "One Small Step..." (If you are behind on the Space Race track)
f. Our Man in Tehran (If the US controls at least one Middle East country)
g. Star Wars (If the US is ahead on the Space Race track)
h. Solidarity (Playable as an event only if 'John Paul II Elected Pope' is in effect)

2. For each of the cards listed in (1), can I headline the card without the condition being met? If so, what happens when that headline event resolves? (I'd assume nothing.)

3. (EDIT: This appears to be answered in another thread, which says that effects that modify Ops values of cards do indeed affect the choices available to you for Missile Envy.) If the USSR is under Brezhnev Doctrine, and the US plays Missile Envy, could they choose to give Cultural Revolution while they have Flower Power in hand since both are now 4-Op cards? Similarly, if they are under Red Scare/Purge, if their hand consists entirely of Romainian Abdication and Arab-Israeli War, could they choose to give Romanian Abdication since both are now 1-Op cards?

4. What's the actual consensus on the Missile Envy + Quagmire interaction? If someone under Quagmire has Missile Envy exchanged into their hand, are they "forced" to discard it or "free" to discard it? (I've seen both rulings!)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Kiefte
Canada
Dartmouth
Nova Scotia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
1. You never ignore the conditional.

2. Yes, and nothing happens.

3. Yes.

4. first card discarded must be Missile Envy.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jay Sachs
United States
Woodinville
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
Despite your hope, there is not even any inherent symbolism; gravity is simply a coincidence.
mbmbmbmbmb
For the edge cases of the corner case:

mkiefte wrote:
Quote:
4. What's the actual consensus on the Missile Envy + Quagmire interaction? If someone under Quagmire has Missile Envy exchanged into their hand, are they "forced" to discard it or "free" to discard it? (I've seen both rulings!)

4. first card discarded must be Missile Envy.

Unless they're under Red Scare/Purge or if it would force them to hold a scoring card.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Woods
United States
Maryland
flag msg tools
mkiefte wrote:
1. You never ignore the conditional.

I know this is flatly not true, because I have seen multiple rulings to the contrary. As I said, some of these I know the answer to, but for completeness I included all of them. For example, at https://www.boardgamegeek.com/thread/97390/collected-rulings, we have:

"If you play Missile Envy and pull an event whose effect includes a conditional part which is not met, like Wargames when DEFCON greater than 2, then the conditional part of the effect isn't applied when resolving the effect, as usual."

So I know that (at least) this applies to Missile Envy pulling WARGAMES.

The reason that I even ask question number 2 is that in the justification for the Missile Envy/WARGAMES interaction, it's stated (in other places) that the "if" is a "prerequisite for playing it as an event" that Missile Envy "ignores". If it really is a "prerequisite" required to "play" it, can I even play it? If I can't, can I headline it?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Kiefte
Canada
Dartmouth
Nova Scotia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Maybe I'm misunderstanding what you mean by "conditional part".

The part of the sentence that starts with "if" is never ignored. The event is only triggered when the conditional part is satisfied. There are no exceptions...

... except NORAD. The NORAD event itself always triggers. You only get the IP if the conditional is met.

EDIT: that quote you pulled from 2010 is worded miserably as it uses the expression "conditional part" inconsistently. The intention is what I said above.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bill W
United Kingdom
Warrington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Quick question.

I am USA and leading by 5vp going into late war. USSR plays we Will Bury You (WWBY) in headline and I play Missile Envy. He hands me Wargames. Do I lose?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Barnhart
United States
Columbus
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
No. War games is always optional. You just don't give him the 6Vp and call the end of the game. War games says "may."
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Valentine

Texas
msg tools
mb
billw147 wrote:
Quick question.

I am USA and leading by 5vp going into late war. USSR plays we Will Bury You (WWBY) in headline and I play Missile Envy. He hands me Wargames. Do I lose?

No. The "may" in Wargames has been interpreted to mean that the person playing the event (in this case the USA) has the option (assuming the "if" condition of defcon 2 has been met) whether to (1) end the game after giving 6 vps to opponent or (2) not. So, as long as you choose not to give your opponent 6 vps and end the game, then you don't lose right then.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Woods
United States
Maryland
flag msg tools
mkiefte wrote:
EDIT: that quote you pulled from 2010 is worded miserably as it uses the expression "conditional part" inconsistently. The intention is what I said above.

Are you saying that the intention is that, if you're handed WARGAMES for a Missile Envy, you can choose to give your opponent 6 VP and end the game only if DEFCON is 2?

If that's true, what about "conditionals" explicitly expressed as a play restriction (specifically: NATO, The Cambridge Five, Solidarity)? If I'm handed NATO for Missile Envy and neither Warsaw Pact Formed or Marshall Plan is in effect, do I ignore the "Play only after" on NATO?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Barnhart
United States
Columbus
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
1. Yes. Absolutely.

2. No. The event does not happen. The card just gets discarded with no effect.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Woods
United States
Maryland
flag msg tools
Honestly that's more sane than the ruling from the collected rulings thread anyway, so I'm glad for it ... but is there a source for that? The collected rulings thread cites a Jason Matthews post; is there somewhere he or Ananda Gupta has reversed that, which isn't updated in the rulings thread?

More generally, what *exactly* is meant by "it occurs immediately" on Missile Envy's printed text?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Barnhart
United States
Columbus
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I have no idea but that thread includes the examples of NATO Etc just being discarded. I can assure your 100% of games use the rule as I have described.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.