Rat Tooth
United Kingdom
Chesterfield
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi guys. Looking for some recommendations. All help greatly appreciated
thought I would tackle two requests in one thread so feel free to answer either or both.

1. Talisman but quicker - A lot of my gaming group enjoy Talisman, but with the last game taking 6 hours and not finishing (we get distracted...) I would love to find the same kind of experience in a distilled form. Maybe if you suggest a 60-90min game we can get it done in 2 or 3 hours.
I think what we like about Talisman is:
- The back and forth/interaction between players, messing with each other, making uneasy alliances, seeking revenge
- The role playing, we like to build up our characters, giving them names and backstories etc
- randomness, you never know what will happen from turn to turn, very little AP and gives people falling behind a chance to catch up
- Building up your characters stats, equipment etc, this is always fun

2. Easy to learn game with good social interaction to play Christmas day.
I play board games a fair amount with my family, our favourite games to play are Alhambra, Carcassonne South Seas, Age of War or trivia games like Tension or Pointless. My folks asked for ideas for a game to play Xmas day, so I said I'd buy them one. Any ideas?
Pretty much we are looking for:
- something not too heavy (alhambra they can manage but took a while to grok it, something lighter than that)
- something easy to get people involved with when they are sleepy from Christmas dinner or a bit drunk...
- Socially interactive, something to get each other talking and laughing together, but hopefully not arguing.
- Board games generally go down well, can't see dexterity or purely social games working with the group (social games meaning stuff like resistance or werewolf). Card games have been a hard sell with the family in the past, but something more akin to traditional playing card games may go well, like a trick taking game or something.

Thanks guys

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Life is a lamp-flame before a wind.
msg tools
badge
mu
mbmbmbmbmb
As for #1, I think Drakon (fourth edition) fits the bill.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Gustafson
United States
Warsaw
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
β€œThe elements of good trading are: (1) cutting losses, (2) cutting losses, and (3) cutting losses. If you can follow these three rules, you may have a chance.” – Ed Seykota
mbmbmbmbmb
#2 - Codenames
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Brudz
United States
Connecticut
flag msg tools
mb
For Christmas - 12 Days

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rat Tooth
United Kingdom
Chesterfield
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
PBrudz wrote:
For Christmas - 12 Days

good idea, would be very fitting, but I think they'd like a game they can play all year round

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Martin Larouche
Canada
Longueuil
Quebec
flag msg tools
Melting souls with cuteness since 2007
badge
Lovin' N-16
mbmbmbmbmb
The obvious answer to that question is Relic.

The game is essentially Talisman 2.0.

One of the element they "fixed" is that now, since there are much more monsters in the decks it means quicker levelling up, it's easier to control where you end up with power cards, it's easier to predict what kind of encounter you'll get and the levelling system is not based upon which kind of monters you are defeating...
There's also no PVP, which essentially just served to lengthen the game. PVP is reserved to the expansion, but then it's a everybody against one single player that makes for a different dynamic.

It all results in a shorter (and much more tight) game than Talisman is.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alex Cannon
United Kingdom
Hassocks
West Sussex
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
cmdaltgamer wrote:

60-90min game

back and forth/interaction between players, messing with each other, making uneasy alliances, seeking revenge

- The role playing, we like to build up our characters, giving them names and backstories etc

- randomness, you never know what will happen from turn to turn, very little AP and gives people falling behind a chance to catch up

- Building up your characters stats, equipment etc, this is always fun

I never thought this would happen but I'm going to recommend Munchkin.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Timothy Young
United States
Ogden
UT
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmb
A lot of people compare Runebound to Talisman. I've never played Talisman though, so I can't really vouch for this opinion.

Runebound (Second Edition)
Runebound (Third Edition)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pauly Paul
Canada
Calgary
Alberta
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Not sure what to recommend for your first request, however for Christmas I would say maybe

Unnamed Object: High player count (8) and the push your luck aspect gets people involved cheering or groaning. Inexpensive and small to store.

For Sale: Good player count (6) with simple logical rule set. Short play time lets you play one or two games when you don't have time (or desire) for something longer. Inexpensive and small to store.

Concept: A different sort of "party game" (no trivia and no making a fool of yourself). Can really have any player count and rules are fluid and adaptive. Make it competitive by forming teams and having a time limit. Make it relaxed by having individual clue givers, no points or time limit and the sheer enjoyment of playing something unique (I once played this method for 3 hours).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rauli Kettunen
Finland
Oulu
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Relic and Runebounds both fail pretty badly at this point the OP did like in Talisman:

Quote:
The back and forth/interaction between players, messing with each other, making uneasy alliances, seeking revenge
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dustin Taylor
United States
Somerset
Kentucky
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Prophecy

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rat Tooth
United Kingdom
Chesterfield
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
thanks guys, some good ideas. Relic and Drakon look interesting, but with 180mins play time according to it's BGG page, relic may still be too long.

thinking incan gold (good theme for mother and step dad since they went round mexican ruins for their honeymoon) and for sale may suit my family, or what would you think to games like sushi go or diamonds to fit the bill?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Martin Larouche
Canada
Longueuil
Quebec
flag msg tools
Melting souls with cuteness since 2007
badge
Lovin' N-16
mbmbmbmbmb
cmdaltgamer wrote:
thanks guys, some good ideas. Relic and Drakon look interesting, but with 180mins play time according to it's BGG page, relic may still be too long.

thinking incan gold (good theme for mother and step dad since they went round mexican ruins for their honeymoon) and for sale may suit my family, or what would you think to games like sushi go or diamonds to fit the bill?

We played Relic a lot with 2 or 3 players.

Never took us over 2 hours, even when we were just beginning with it... usually it's around 1.5.

This said, we prefer the basic scenario. The other ones do tend to be longer.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pauly Paul
Canada
Calgary
Alberta
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
cmdaltgamer wrote:

Sushi Go is a fine game, but not better than For Sale or Incan Gold in my opinion.

Can't speak for diamonds but if your family enjoys card games it might be a good choice as they may be more likely to play it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.