Shadows over Camelot» Forums » Strategy

Subject: Shadows Strategy rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
bev harrelson
United States
North Carolina
flag msg tools
In a Shadows game recently, all the nights stayed at the roundtable exhausting life points but drawing two cards until they had reached 12 or 13 cards. We believe this made for an easier victory since we almost exhausted the white card stack allowing us to have almost all the special white cards and all the merlins in play before we went out to the quests. Since we had several newbies in this game, we squeaked out a win but the "veterans" agreed that this was a great strategy. There were several Morgans early on that we had to "Merlin", but since the white card stack was exhausted and we had to reshuffle the stack that included Merlins, we received Merlins and special white cards almost each time we drew from the white stack replenishing our war chests.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
mike hibbert
United Kingdom
Gloucester
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
bevcat10 wrote:
In a Shadows game recently, all the nights stayed at the roundtable exhausting life points but drawing two cards until they had reached 12 or 13 cards.

I thought that there was a limit to the number of cards you could hold in your hand? Isn't it about 7 or so?

Otherwise, yes this would be the best strategy to use! (which I guess is why there is a hand limit)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Craig Wheatley
United States
Irmo
South Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
There is no hand limit (thus allowing the traitor to hold onto useful cards), but you are not allowed to draw cards in Camelot if you have 12 in your hand at the start of the turn.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
mike hibbert
United Kingdom
Gloucester
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
statman1 wrote:
There is no hand limit (thus allowing the traitor to hold onto useful cards), but you are not allowed to draw cards in Camelot if you have 12 in your hand at the start of the turn.

Wow - I had no idea it was so many! Well there you go - thanks!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Oh you seekers of the new who run terrified from history into the clutches of an eternal life where no electric shaver can be built to last.
United States
Riva
Maryland
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
    This is the generally accepted Achilles Heel of the game.

Sag.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Derek H
South Africa
Johannesburg
Gauteng
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
mikehibbert wrote:
bevcat10 wrote:
In a Shadows game recently, all the nights stayed at the roundtable exhausting life points but drawing two cards until they had reached 12 or 13 cards.

I thought that there was a limit to the number of cards you could hold in your hand? Isn't it about 7 or so?

Otherwise, yes this would be the best strategy to use! (which I guess is why there is a hand limit)

Interesting. In another thread here, http://boardgamegeek.com/thread/76529/page/1 players said:

Quote:
I'm just wondering how the heck you all survived everyone initially just sitting in Camelot and drawing to 12 cards. We would have been down to 2 life and up to 8 siege engines right off the bat...

and
Quote:
...If your group places 6 siege engines before any white swords come out, a siege engine victory for the traitor is far more likely than a black sword victory.

These comments together would seem to imply that this is not a viable strategy (unless you are the traitor)?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Travis Hall
Australia
Brisbane
Queensland
flag msg tools
Try it with 4 players, rather than 6 or 7.

A really good Shadows strategy should survive the more challenging forms of the game, rather than simply exploiting a quirk of the easiest form.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Persson
Canada
Edmonton
Alberta
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
There is no limit to the cards you can have, but you can only perform the same action once a turn. So, burning life each round to draw cards is impossible as you'd be doing the same action twice.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jerry Wang
United States
Flushing
New York
flag msg tools
mbmb
Another benefit of the 'draw before you act' strategy is that you get to see the progression of some of the quests before you tackle them. For example, it is more efficient to complete a Pict/Saxon quest when there are three baddies on the board than when there are none. By spending a few turns putting black cards in play before you start, you are in better position to fulfill quests 'just in time.'

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
SoCal
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
statman1 wrote:

During my session, the host mentions the limit you can draw to at Camelot is 12, so 10 is the last turn u could draw since, 11 + 2 would give you 13

Kinda stinks for Gawain (green) since he has that special power. The wording doesn't imply he can turn it off.
"i fu choose to draw at Round Table, draw 3 instead of 2".

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Bauer
United States
Gilbert
Arizona
flag msg tools
badge
Bazinga!
mbmbmbmbmb
To lazy to go check right now but I am pretty sure the rule is you can not take the draw action if you have 12 or more cards in your hand so yu can draw to 13 or 14 if you are the knight that draws 3.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
SoCal
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
sbauer9 wrote:
To lazy to go check right now but I am pretty sure the rule is you can not take the draw action if you have 12 or more cards in your hand so yu can draw to 13 or 14 if you are the knight that draws 3.

....eh, that works for me

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.