Subject: Where best to play it online rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
CARL SKUTSCH
United States
New York
New York
flag msg tools
Agricola, Sekigahara, Concordia, Innovation, COOKIE!!! (and Guinness)
badge
SANJURO: You're all tough, then? GAMBLER: What? Kill me if you can! SANJURO: It'll hurt.
mbmbmbmbmb
Please tell me the best place to play it online? (I know it must have been discussed elsewhere but all that searching hurts my small brain. Which is why you need to get me online quickly; think of all the easy wins you'll score against me.)

Also, I don't suppose anyone's working on an iOS version?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Henry
United Kingdom
Wellington
West Midlands
flag msg tools
CGE are working on an iOS version of Through the Ages: A New Story of Civilization which is due in the spring I think.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jon W
United States
Aurora
CO
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I like it best here, as I like the interface better and there are official and unofficial variants to keep things fresh: http://www.boardgaming-online.com/

But this site also has it: http://en.boardgamearena.com/
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jack Francisco
United States
Cumberland
Rhode Island
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
It's very well implemented on Boardgamearena. Then again, pretty much everything is.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Albritton
United States
Tupelo
Mississippi
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I agree with Jon that Through the Ages is much better on BGO than BGA.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave Roy
Canada
Vancouver
BC
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
senorcoo wrote:
It's very well implemented on Boardgamearena. Then again, pretty much everything is.

This is true, but my communication with them seems to indicate that they won't be updating to the new version anytime soon.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
CARL SKUTSCH
United States
New York
New York
flag msg tools
Agricola, Sekigahara, Concordia, Innovation, COOKIE!!! (and Guinness)
badge
SANJURO: You're all tough, then? GAMBLER: What? Kill me if you can! SANJURO: It'll hurt.
mbmbmbmbmb
So board game arena is smoother but boardgaming online is more likely (has already?) to implement the new version?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Albritton
United States
Tupelo
Mississippi
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Well, BGA is more clunky to play on, has no variant options, and doesn't seem to have plans to update to the new version.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Albritton
United States
Tupelo
Mississippi
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I also should mention that if you want to play a lot of other games besides just Through the Ages, BGA will be more convenient to play on.

Last I looked, BGO only has Through the Ages, where BGA has around 80 games.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Grant
United States
Cuyahoga Falls
Ohio
flag msg tools
One of the best gaming weekends in Ohio since 2010. Search facebook for "BOGA Weekend Retreat" for more info!
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
skutsch wrote:
So board game arena is smoother but boardgaming online is more likely (has already?) to implement the new version?

BGO has already implemented the new version for a select group of play-testers (supposedly the code was rewritten from scratch for this purpose). It has been announced that it will be opened up to the public at some point, but no word on exactly when.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Fabrice Essner
France
Nissa
FR
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Boardgaming online. Definitely.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Fabrice Castellon
France
flag msg tools
mbmb
Kubigaruma wrote:
I also should mention that if you want to play a lot of other games besides just Through the Ages, BGA will be more convenient to play on.

Last I looked, BGO only has Through the Ages, where BGA has around 80 games.

You don't care about other games once you experienced TTA with BGO !
Ergonomy is perfect for mobile and web play and BGO is my day-to-day companion for almost 2 years now. No plan to move anywhere else or to quit playing.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ido Abelman
Israel
Hod Hasharon
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
In BGA there is no undo button which is a huge problem IMO. I had several games destroyed by misclicks/blunders.
You also can't see other players civil card hands and the events you've played, adding some memory element (opinionson this may vary).
However BGA is better for real time play IMO. When I have the time (it's not as long as you expect with the time limits) I like to play real time there. And I do play some other games there.
So I play on both sites.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave Roy
Canada
Vancouver
BC
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
CBpegasus wrote:
In BGA there is no undo button which is a huge problem IMO. I had several games destroyed by misclicks/blunders.
You also can't see other players civil card hands and the events you've played, adding some memory element (opinions on this may vary).
However BGA is better for real time play IMO. When I have the time (it's not as long as you expect with the time limits) I like to play real time there. And I do play some other games there.
So I play on both sites.

You can undo your entire turn on BGA.

Though one thing you can't undo is once you pass the Political Action phase, you can't go back to it.

But if you play your cards in the wrong order, or figure something else out, you can take it all back and start over.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Benjamin Wack
France
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
hist wrote:
You can undo your entire turn on BGA.

In turn-based mode only.
I think it's a pertinent restriction, but it often leads people to believe there is no Undo at all.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ido Abelman
Israel
Hod Hasharon
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hmm I only played real-time on BGA (as I said I use BGO for turn based) so I didn't know you can undo in turn based. I can understand why they would disable undo in real time (prevent delaying the game) but I think it should be like their implementation of tash kalar, where you can rewind but it still counts towards your time limit.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Walter Kolczynski
United States
College Park
Maryland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
BGA is prettier, but I find BGO more functional. A pull-down selection isn't sexy, but it is straightforward and gets the job done. You will rarely find yourself wondering how to do an action on BGO. And undoing is far more straightforward.

Also, as mentioned, BGA only has the original base game, whereas BGO has a number of different expansion options and small tweaks. We also know that BGO already has A New Story working (and quite well, for the most part), was used for playtesting, and will be making it available for the masses at some point. As yet it is unclear if/when BGA will implement the new version or if CGE would even license them to do so.

BGA is a great website overall, and I play lot of other games there, but for TtA there is a better option.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chuck Mitchell

Peoria
Illinois
msg tools
mb
Is there a resource that makes clear all the iconography in BGO? I am fairly new to the game and would love a bit more info about what I'm looking at.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Albritton
United States
Tupelo
Mississippi
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
chuckm1961 wrote:
Is there a resource that makes clear all the iconography in BGO? I am fairly new to the game and would love a bit more info about what I'm looking at.

You can usually just mouseover whatever it is and it will tell you.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chuck Mitchell

Peoria
Illinois
msg tools
mb
Caveat that I have played the game once and am still learning ...

At BGO, in my current game, there is an orange (I think?) bar across the top half of screen and it shows what looks like one unhappy face. When I mouse over it, it says "corruption."

What is this telling me? I can see under the Blue Resource section that I am at risk for 2 Corruption penalty under certain circumstances. Why would there be 1 unhappy face up there?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Albritton
United States
Tupelo
Mississippi
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
It's just warning you that if you don't spend enough food/resources this turn, you will face corruption.

1 person icon = 2 resources, 2 person icons = 4 resources, etc

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chuck Mitchell

Peoria
Illinois
msg tools
mb
Thanks much!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pierre Beri
France
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
I’ve peeked on some BGO tables but it seems I was unable to see the card row. How to?

Thanks!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Albritton
United States
Tupelo
Mississippi
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
beri2 wrote:
I’ve peeked on some BGO tables but it seems I was unable to see the card row. How to?

Thanks!

If you view a "classic" game, the cards are on the bottom left.

I think only the players themselves can see the cards in the new layout.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marcus Aurèle
msg tools
In my mind, Board game arena is vastly superior to BGO. Moreover, the fact that the interface is simpler is more userfriendly accounts for very little in my appreciation of BGA. I find the players to be much stronger in BGA and I suspect that the rating/ranking system, which uses the same system as for chess (ELO ranking), is a big factor in that observation. The fact that one can restrict the access to a game one creates to players of a certain ranking (for example, experts) is also a major bonus. By comparison, on BGO, you can mention how many stars (from 1 to 4) you want the other player (s) to be, but it's up to their own appreciation of their caliber and really doesn't mean much. Moreover, on BGA, there are penalties for players who leave who fail to play within the required time, which once again favours more serious play. Now, I am not saying that BGA is only for better players but rather that if one seeks more competitive players, it is the place to go. Besides, there are tournaments which can be a lot of fun as well.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.