7 Posts

BoardGameGeek» Forums » Introduction » New User Questions

Subject: Best way to find reviews? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Adam Parsnippany
msg tools
First post, first impressions

Came to the site to find boardgame reviews . Couldn't find an easy way to do so:

I can scroll through the reviews section off the main page, but cannot search for a specific game title there.
I can't easily conduct a search as the search feature up top pulls up a lot of impertinence or mere mentions the word "review".
I found a way to navigate to the reviews section of the forum, but couldn't figure out how to search only threads therein.

Finally found the best way: search for game title, scroll down 10 feet to the forums section and filter by "reviews". Took 15 minutes to find it. Make me irascible. Seems obtuse.

Otherwise impressed with the site.
thanks

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tony Go
United States
New York
NY
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
If you're having hull problems I feel bad for you son, I've got 99 problems but a breach ain't one.
badge
TauLeaderGames.com
mbmbmbmbmb
Welcome to the site!

PugnaciousPal wrote:
Finally found the best way: search for game title, scroll down 10 feet to the forums section and filter by "reviews". Took 15 minutes to find it. Make me irascible. Seems obtuse.

That is pretty much the best way. Boardgamegeek is more a database/aggregate site rather than editorial. Finding content requires some filters.

Eventually, you may find a reviewer that you like, and they might have a Geeklist you can subscribe to and be notified of when they do a new review. The Geeklist itself also serves to catalog past reviews.

Is there another site that you find has a good navigation system for the content you're looking for (not necessarily board games)?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bryan Thunkd
United States
Florence
MA
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The site has some challenges. There's a redesign in process, but honestly, the new format isn't going to change the things you're complaining about.

Shortcut:
At the top of the game page there are links that jump you down the page. If you click on Forums, it'll jump you to that section (instead of you having to scroll down "ten feet".

Advanced Functionality:

Instead of just looking at the list of forum threads from the main game page (which is just a conglomeration of recent threads from all the forums for that game), you should click the item at the top of the forums section that says [Forums »]. That will take you into the forums section for that game and you'll see a list of the different forums, like here.

And then you can click into the forum that is specifically for Reviews, like here.

There's a lot of great content here. It's often hard to get to, but that's in part because there is so much of it. There's probably some ways they could make it easier, but realistically with this much stuff, it's bound to be a little awkward to get to everything.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Walt
United States
Orange County
California
flag msg tools
Before terraforming Mars, Surviving Mars is required: Paradox Interactive; Steam.
badge
Please contact me about board gaming in Orange County.
mbmbmbmbmb
Welcome to BGG!

Yeah, it's a crazy-complex site. It's loaded with features, but safe. When you go to a new section of the site, try hovering your mouse over any icons: you'll usually get a tooltip telling what the icon does. Click on those or blue numbers to get different lists and data.

One good way to find reviews is to click on the games in The Hotness in the left column below the BGG Store ad. Those are games people are paying attention to today. Then when you get to the game page, as Thunkd says, click on Forum in the jump to list, then click on Reviews to see only reviews. You might also like Sessions, which are session reports, a report on a single play.

If you go to the Stat(istics) section, you can find user comments on games. Some aren't very informational, but some are mini-reviews. All those blue numbers and icons in the statistics section? They're all clickable, giving various sorts of information.

Have fun and feel free to ask questions. It's a very helpful community!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tomello Visello
United States
Reston
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Here is a simple way to find a massive stack of reviews all in one place using a technique that even long-time users probably don't think about.

Way up top of this page, somewhat to the left side, look for "Board Games" in yellow and mouse over that.

Then click on "Recent Additions" when you see it displayed.

On the resulting page click "Filter By Type »", then scroll down the list that appears to make a check mark for the box that says "Review" near the bottom.

Then click "apply"

This will give you a list of the reviews submitted Today, plus some more backwards from there.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rain
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
You can also customize the layout of game pages here so that the forums box comes at the top

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adam Parsnippany
msg tools
Thanks guys. I am trying some of the methods you suggested now.

Now that I have an idea how to do it, it's no biggie. Just an annoying fumble the first time through. Like vaginas

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.