United States
Lincoln University
PA
flag msg tools
designer
badge
It's always my turn.
mbmbmbmbmb
In our excitement to get the game into your hands, it seems we made a few rules oversights! Solo play in particular needs a lot of clarification, because we edited a bit too aggressively trying to fit the rules onto 2 pages. Maybe your first editions with the faulty rulebook will have a high re-sale value like those rare baseball card misprints...

Errata
--
Page 7, MVP ability
MVP abilities may not be activated twice for a single swing, even if you have the option to "chose any two" abilities.
--
Page 8, Swing Chart - when the swing = control vs a strike, the result is a foul ball. Luckily, this is correctly identified on the hitting reference cards.
--
Page 12, Solo Play, Setup
The Home Opener scenario on the back of the Pitch Mitigation card should be the first scenario you play to begin Manager Mode. Subsequently, choose scenarios as described in the rules.
--
Page 12, Solo Play, Pitcher Deck and Fatigue - If the pitcher deck is depleted, finish the at-bat as normal, with the pitcher selecting tokens opposite of the Ace pitch during the staredown. Following the at-bat, select another pitcher randomly (or as dictated by the scenario) to become the new pitcher. Shuffle the pitcher discard pile to form the new deck, and then immediately Fatigue the pitcher 3 (discard 3 cards).
--
Page 13, Solo play, Pitch Mitigation - After the pitch dice are rolled or re-rolled, consult the chart. If any of the "Keep" results are obtained, do not use any further abilities that grant re-rolls. Instead, use all available abilities (including those granted by traits) to improve the result.

Note the exception that is listed correctly in the rulebook: if a pitcher throws the Ace, its ability will always be used, unless an S6, C1, or C6 can be obtained without it.
--
Haka - on the front of the card he is listed as a First Baseman, but he is actually a Catcher, as listed on the back side.
--
J. A. Kapowski - position should read First Base, not Bast.
--
Kido Hero - is actually Kido Hiro, as it says on the checklist. I'll spare you the long version, but "Hiro" in Japanese can mean generous or prosperous, among other things.
--

Edits and additions will be made as necessary.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Mullins
United States
Lincoln University
PA
flag msg tools
designer
badge
It's always my turn.
mbmbmbmbmb
Feel free to post questions here, or tweet them @bluedevilduke.

FAQ
--
Do I have to decide which abilities I am using before I roll?
No. All abilities are used after the pitch and swing rolls, respectively. These abilities are chosen one at a time, so if you had "choose any two" you could reroll first, and then decide if you needed another reroll or the +/- 1.
--
If there is a runner on second and first base is empty, what happens during the run phase?
The runner on second will try to go to third, and the batter will try to reach first. If the batter wins the Run phase and yells "Safe," there would be runners on 1st and 3rd. If instead the pitching player yelled "Out," the lead runner is thrown out, and the batter reaches first safely.
--
What about bunts? sac flies? steals? double plays....?
We hear you, we really do! Our goal with the initial release was to make an accessible game for gamers and baseball fans alike. This resulted in many of the nuanced plays being left out, because they created a rules load that tended to slow down what was meant to be a quick-playing game.

Advanced play rules will surely be a part of our next release, and you'll likely see them posted here on the forums before then.
--
Can you give me a few examples of how a pitch is resolved in solo play?
Let's use Wake Louder for the following examples. His Ace says that natural B5's and B6's become natural C6's, and we'll assume he wins both red and white pitch tokens.

1. He throws his Ace pitch, then rolls a S5 - he'd keep the result, and use the red ability to make the pitch a S6.

2. He throws his Ace, then rolls a B3 - According to the chart he'd simply keep that and use -1's, but the rules specify that pitchers always try to use the Ace pitch. In this case he'd reroll the control die once or twice, trying to get a natural 5 or 6.

3. He doesnt throw the Ace, then rolls B4 - Pitchers are designed to be aggressive, so consulting the chart tells us that Wake would reroll the pitch type die, looking for a S or C. If the reroll came up B, he'd roll it again. If it came up S, he'd +1 to S5. If it came up C, he'd reroll the control die looking for a 1 or 6.
--
What's the point of fatigue in the solo game?
As a player, you have perfect information; you know the exact contents of the deck. Therefore, the more fatigued the pitcher is (more cards are in the discard), the better your chances to make the statistically correct prediction. You can also use this situationally to decide whether or not to protect against a possible Ace, or side with the probabilities. This becomes *super* important for the Manager of the Year difficulty level, when you cannot choose the same 2 pitch tokens twice in a row.
--
Can you clarify how "natural rolls" work?
Any time a number is shown inside a box on a player card, such as S[5], that number must be rolled (or rerolled) and obtained without modifications like +/- 1, flipping the die, or setting the die to a particular face.

However, you can modify out of a natural roll, if for example you rolled a B[1] with Leslie Lou and didnt want to hit the batter with the pitch.
--
What does "any 2" mean?
Choose any 2 allows you to pick any combination of (W), (R), and abilities listed on your card. All bonuses, with the exception of the , can be stacked. So you could reroll twice, or get +/-2.
--
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Orme
United States
Illinois
flag msg tools
What I'm really missing from the solo rules are a few example pitches to show the pitch mitigation table at work. From what I can gather:

If the pitch card has the pitcher throw his Ace Pitch, then it is activated, unless the pitch is modified by the table, or do pitch abilities take effect first?

Also, the table says that if a corner pitch is thrown, I keep modifying it until I get a C1 or a C6. Am I understanding that correctly? So basically any corner pitch is a C1 or C6 (unless a batter can change the corner pitch into a ball or strike?)

And as for balls and strikes on the pitch die: I keep a B 1-3, but reduce the control die by 1; keep a S 4-6, but increase control by 1; Reroll the pitch die for a B 4-6; and Reroll control die for a S 1-3. Is this right? Do I reroll constantly until I get a S6, C1, or C6, or do I only reroll once?

Sorry for the mountain of questions, and maybe my understanding is dulled and I'm just missing obvious interpretations, but I just can't seem to wrap my head around the pitch table without a few examples.

Thank you for such a great game...really thrilled when it came in the mail!

Chris
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Mullins
United States
Lincoln University
PA
flag msg tools
designer
badge
It's always my turn.
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for the questions. You have the main idea as far as when to use the mitigation, but the pitchers are still limited to the abilities they have on their player card, or have earned via the staredown. This is all tucked into the phrase "if possible" in the rules, which I concede is easy to miss.

I'll put the examples you requested in the FAQ I'm compiling; I want to keep the errata post somewhat short so rules are easy to find.

Thanks for the Q's
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Orme
United States
Illinois
flag msg tools
Ok, so the table just shows you how to use the earned pitching abilities (guiding the AI towards a better Ball, Strike, or Corner pitch), and aren't something that happens with every pitch?

Thank you for the quick response!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Mullins
United States
Lincoln University
PA
flag msg tools
designer
badge
It's always my turn.
mbmbmbmbmb
Exactly.

I'm happy to respond; we want everyone to enjoy the game, and appreciate everyone asking questions.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
henry angels
msg tools
Nitpicking but just in case you print more of these out the card checklist misspells Kido Heros last name Hiro
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Don Riddle
United States
Leesburg
Unspecified
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Maybe I'm being thick but I just don't get Fanatic's trait. It says, "Fanatic cannot modify LOW *pitches*, and gets [filled circle] on all HIGH *pitches*."
But Fanatic isn't a pitcher and has no abilities that would affect pitches.
Please explain. Does this mean she can't modify her *swing* if in response to a LOW pitch?

Follow ups: Does re-rolling count as "modifying"? If her trait gives her [filled circle] AND she guesses the pitch's Location correctly, would she be able to use the [filled circle] bonus twice?

EDIT: I also couldn't find where it is explained how the Home Opener situation (on the back of the Pitcher Mitigation card) is to be used. ?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Combs
United States
Spring Lake Park
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
riddle13 wrote:
Maybe I'm being thick but I just don't get Fanatic's trait. It says, "Fanatic cannot modify LOW *pitches*, and gets [filled circle] on all HIGH *pitches*."
But Fanatic isn't a pitcher and has no abilities that would affect pitches.
Please explain.

I think it means you can't modify your swing roll against LOW pitches, but you always get to use her '+1/-1 to Swing' ability against all HIGH pitches.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Mullins
United States
Lincoln University
PA
flag msg tools
designer
badge
It's always my turn.
mbmbmbmbmb
riddle13 wrote:
...I just don't get Fanatic's trait.

I'm going to throw together a separate Card FAQ this morning, to address individual cards.

Thanks for the questions!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Mullins
United States
Lincoln University
PA
flag msg tools
designer
badge
It's always my turn.
mbmbmbmbmb
hang less wrote:
Nitpicking but just in case you print more of these out the card checklist misspells Kido Heros last name Hiro

Added to errata. Thanks for alerting us!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bill Stull
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Any chance you'd post these to the GtG forums as well?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Mullins
United States
Lincoln University
PA
flag msg tools
designer
badge
It's always my turn.
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm sure the DHMG/GTG crew will collect and post these on the websites after BGG Con.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kyle S.
msg tools
mbmbmbmb
What do you do when the Fatigue deck runs out of cards? Would the Pitcher effectively throw his Ace-Pitch the entire rest of the game, allowing the Batter to guess correctly 100% of the time, nullifying the Ace?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe Salerno
United States
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
On page 9, the asterisk to the "Clean Up" header states "*This Phase only occurs between Batters (i.e. a Batter/Runner is out or walked)." Is this a typo, or does the pitcher not get to take relief after a batter gets on base or homers? We've been playing it as a typo and giving pitchers relief between all batters regardless of results. But, I'd rather be playing it correctly, if that interpretation is wrong.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Mullins
United States
Lincoln University
PA
flag msg tools
designer
badge
It's always my turn.
mbmbmbmbmb
Bigfoote wrote:
What do you do when the Fatigue deck runs out of cards? Would the Pitcher effectively throw his Ace-Pitch the entire rest of the game, allowing the Batter to guess correctly 100% of the time, nullifying the Ace?

from the errata above: If the pitcher deck is depleted, finish the at-bat as normal, with the pitcher selecting tokens opposite of the Ace pitch during the staredown. Following the at-bat, select another pitcher randomly (or as dictated by the scenario) to become the new pitcher. Shuffle the pitcher discard pile to form the new deck, and then immediately Fatigue the pitcher 3 (discard 3 cards).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Mullins
United States
Lincoln University
PA
flag msg tools
designer
badge
It's always my turn.
mbmbmbmbmb
2Ravens wrote:
On page 9, the asterisk to the "Clean Up" header states "*This Phase only occurs between Batters (i.e. a Batter/Runner is out or walked)." Is this a typo, or does the pitcher not get to take relief after a batter gets on base or homers? We've been playing it as a typo and giving pitchers relief between all batters regardless of results. But, I'd rather be playing it correctly, if that interpretation is wrong.

If I let my inner grammar nerd out, it's not so much a typo as it is the incorrect use of "i.e." in the sentence. It should read "e.g., a batter is out or walked." Other examples would of course include hits, hit by pitch, or in multi-inning games, a homerun.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe Salerno
United States
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Great. Thanks for the response.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Booth
United States
Cary
North Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Bookmarked.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Jonas

Oakdale
Minnesota
msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Is there a difference if it says any two with parentheses around the actions and without? For example, the difference between Ethan Roberto and Mully Nomah.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adam Laster
msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Just to make sure I'm doing this correctly...

Playing solo, say I roll a B4, but the pitcher has the red token, meaning he can +1/-1 to his Control. The chart tells me to reroll the Pitch die on that roll but the pitcher doesn't have access to that ability. Do I do nothing or do I reduce the Control die by 1, as another human would. The "if possible" in the book makes it sound like if NOT possible, I don't mitigate pitches.

Thank you for this great game. The 2-player has gone very smoothly!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Mullins
United States
Lincoln University
PA
flag msg tools
designer
badge
It's always my turn.
mbmbmbmbmb
aelaster wrote:
Just to make sure I'm doing this correctly...

Playing solo, say I roll a B4, but the pitcher has the red token, meaning he can +1/-1 to his Control. The chart tells me to reroll the Pitch die on that roll but the pitcher doesn't have access to that ability. Do I do nothing or do I reduce the Control die by 1, as another human would. The "if possible" in the book makes it sound like if NOT possible, I don't mitigate pitches.

Thank you for this great game. The 2-player has gone very smoothly!

Your intuition is right; if you can't reroll the B4, you try to make it as low as possible.

Glad you're enjoying it!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rick Teverbaugh
United States
Anderson
Indiana (IN)
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I am confused about what actually represents a 2-player game. Does one player take all the hitters and chooses 6 and the other takes all the pitchers and picks 2? Then the game boils down to one half-inning?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Mullins
United States
Lincoln University
PA
flag msg tools
designer
badge
It's always my turn.
mbmbmbmbmb
sirpoonga wrote:
Is there a difference if it says any two with parentheses around the actions and without? For example, the difference between Ethan Roberto and Mully Nomah.

I never noticed that! There is no difference between "Choose 2: " and "Choose 2 ( )"

I'll make fun of Darrell when I see him next for the graphic design inconsistency!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Mullins
United States
Lincoln University
PA
flag msg tools
designer
badge
It's always my turn.
mbmbmbmbmb
rickert wrote:
I am confused about what actually represents a 2-player game. Does one player take all the hitters and chooses 6 and the other takes all the pitchers and picks 2? Then the game boils down to one half-inning?

Exactly.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2 , 3 , 4  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.