Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Contemptus Mundi
United States
Cedar City
Utah
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
On the fence about this one. It reminds me of a smoothie made with Talisman, Middle Earth Quest and Legends of Andor which should be pretty tasty, but I didn't like the timer/puzzle aspect of LOA; Is the Runebound mechanic pretty much the same?

Sounds like a great two player/solo game, which is exactly what I want, but I'm not a fan of timers. How oppressive is this mechanic in Runebound by not allowing you to fulfill quests or achieve personal awesomeness in time for the showdown?

Thanks in advance for any opinions.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Brown
United States
Alexandria
Virginia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
It's a timer, but not as apparent as LoA. The boss appears at a certain point and starts moving towards an objective, you lose if he reaches it. In LoA, you're constantly doing math in your head to see if you can do what you want in the time you have left because you can't see it on the board.

You'll notice when a dragon appears and starts moving on one of your cities...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Enon Sci
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
LoweringTheBar wrote:
On the fence about this one. It reminds me of a smoothie made with Talisman, Middle Earth Quest and Legends of Andor which should be pretty tasty, but I didn't like the timer/puzzle aspect of LOA; Is the Runebound mechanic pretty much the same?

No. Not by a mile.

The timer exists to remedy the Talisman issue of endless game cycles, and to better model the sense of urgency that is normally missing from cataclysmic scenarios in games.

However, Legends of Andor is a logistics puzzle at its core. I wouldn't say this is the aim with 3e, at all.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Johannes Benedikt
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Keep in mind I haven't played Runebound yet, but I have extensivly played LoA.

The thing that made the timer so unforgiving in LoA is the fact that it efectivly moves one space for each monster you kill. In Runebound the timer is much longer and moves regardless of what you do on the map, so I guess it's really more a timer you start to worry about near the end of the game and not something you have to keep in mind all the time.

I think the timer is just there to reward efficient and adaptive play instead of trying to get the super-powerhouse every game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Williams
Scotland
Elgin
Moray
flag msg tools
mbmb
If you really did find the timer too short and prefer a more relaxed game where the only time pressure is from other players, there's really nothing stopping you from ignoring the timer. At least not in the scenario we have played (Margath) as you could just let him sit on his last space until someone beats him.

I don't know about the Vorakesh one for sure, but I can't imagine it being that different.

Basically I'm suggesting the timer shouldn't really put you off all by itself. It just advances once per round, nothing complex, and so far as I can tell you could flex the time limit to suit your personal taste if you wanted to.

It does govern when other things happen like gem refreshes and story cards. But you can keep the gem refreshes going and just run out of story cards. Or ignore the first 1-2 story card triggers.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Julia
msg tools
admin
designer
We have dragged Reason from her Throne and set in her place the Empress of Dreams [liber Endvra]
badge
Amor, sola lex
mb
Agreed with David. The timer in RB is used to trigger story cards during gameplay and to set the time for final battle. If you believe the time is too short, you can easily give you as many extra turns you want, no probs.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Contemptus Mundi
United States
Cedar City
Utah
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thank you all for the great feedback! I think this is a great time to get into Runebound, having never played the previous versions. I'm really lacking a good fantasy adventure game that isn't horribly complicated. Really glad to hear the timer is not too rigid, and can even be adjusted.

Do you think the expansions will bloat the base game, kind of like Talisman, so that you give up even setting up the game because of setup complexity? Did old Runebound expansions include new boards, or just figures and scendarios?

Thanks again!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Julia
msg tools
admin
designer
We have dragged Reason from her Throne and set in her place the Empress of Dreams [liber Endvra]
badge
Amor, sola lex
mb
The game will certainly receive expansions (it's enough to check the code on the rulebook - RB01 - to imagine that); there are elements in the game that let imagine coming

- new skill cards
- new item cards
- new scenarios, heroes, and so on
- new maps - probably not with every expansion

Anyhoo, the really important thing - I believe - is that the game appears to be modular, so that it's likely (in my opinion, at least, but it's something shared also by other "RuneBounders" around) that the new stuff will be added by swapping out some of the old stuff. In this way the game would not become overbloated and the setup will be kept short

(so far I setup the game in 5-10 minutes tops, which is awesome)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Williams
Scotland
Elgin
Moray
flag msg tools
mbmb
LoweringTheBar wrote:
Do you think the expansions will bloat the base game, kind of like Talisman, so that you give up even setting up the game because of setup complexity? Did old Runebound expansions include new boards, or just figures and scendarios?

I cannot speak to the older editions, but for this edition they seem to be actively working against it.

It looks like expansions will include new item sets of 20 cards, which you swap for a similar set of 20 from the base game. Same for skills.

Scenarios so far include 10 of each adventure card type which you mix into the 'core' decks, plus 10 story cards and a boss of some sort. While they will hopefully play around with the final goal, I suspect the scenarios themselves will use a similar set of cards.

I suspect the likely expansions might be:

- New scenarios of ~40 cards plus a scenario card.
- New items and skills coming in 20 card sets to swap with the core sets.
- New heroes, obviously.
- New terrain is hinted at in the rules. This could mean a whole new or expansion board and dice, or perhaps just adding hexes.

Wit hthe exception of new terrain, depending how it's implemented, none of these should bloat the game or dramatically increase setup time once you have the decks set up.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Contemptus Mundi
United States
Cedar City
Utah
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
This is sounding perfect. I'm all in... gonna add it to my Christmas list!

Thanks again for all of the input!

Cheers!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bernie Smith
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Scarlet Witch wrote:

(so far I setup the game in 5-10 minutes tops, which is awesome)

That's it?

That's great if so. One thing that sucks about Andor is the set-up time.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.