Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Michael Bacon
United States
Farmington
New Mexico
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'll be buying\making cubes and will use these same cubes for all of my games (including non-print-and-play games. I'm trying to save on space) How many of one color do I need? (I'll probably just start with 4 or 5 colors for now.)

Another way of asking this question is: what games require more than 50 cubes/tokens/markers per player?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
'Bernard Wingrave'
United States
Wyoming
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Here are a few games that have lots of markers.
Caylus
Age of Empires III: The Age of Discovery
Steam
If you go to a game's page, you can often see the number of each component in the More Information section.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Bacon
United States
Farmington
New Mexico
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks, that's exactly the kind of information I was looking for!

I'm glad I'm not especially interested in those games. If I was, they'd have to be exceptions to my plan. Too many different kinds of tokens, though not a huge number of any one marker.

Maybe I should look at that section for every game on my wishlist and in my print and play to-do list.

This would be a nice thing to find a Geeklist for, but I doubt anyone thought it was worth the effort. Oh well!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
'Bernard Wingrave'
United States
Wyoming
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Here's a geeklist from a few years ago that might be of interest:
https://boardgamegeek.com/geeklist/61833/crap-load-cubes
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Bacon
United States
Farmington
New Mexico
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks! I was trying to find a list like that but couldn't. Nothing in there I'm interested in other than Agricola, which I'll probably never buy. Good.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
B C Z
United States
Reston
Virginia
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Back in the day when I pretty much owned the entire line of Cheapass Games, I built a set of components to be used with all of them.

In 6 colors:
Pawns: a few different "style" of pawns in each color. I had ended up with a nice assortment of things like car, plane, meeple, sorry style pawn, cylindrical fat-pawn, etc.
Markers: about 30 stones in each color; these were the tubes of glass markers that you can easily pick up in any hobby store.
d6 in each color (also usable as pawns or overflow markers or whatever)

And then generally available:
A set of poker chips in various colors with no denominations.
A set of poker chips with denominations (different size).
A set of paper money, but we didn't use that much when poker chips would do.
Various Polyhedral Dice

That seemed to cover most of the basic needs. Anything else we just pilfered from the bins of LEGO(r).

It's turned into a nice prototyping kit now.

TL/DR: ~30 markers and some differentiated pawns should serve you in most instances.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Lee
United States
East Meadow
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The upper end I've seen is Macao with 50 each of 6 different colored action cubes.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Bacon
United States
Farmington
New Mexico
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks, everyone! I ordered 5 sets of 50. Hopefully that is enough. If not, I'll have to buy more, eventually.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.