Simon Paulton
United Kingdom
St. Andrews
Fife
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hey,

Super dull topic but I'm trying to look after the environment here

Took all the clans/monsters/mystics/gods and sorted them all into various ziplock bags and managed to get everything into the base box nice and easily. Only problem is I now have a whole load of plastic trays left which I don't need.

Where I live we have bins for everything it seems including cans and plastics but I can't see any sort of recycling logo on the trays! Anyone know if they are recyclable or should I just chuck them in the normal bin?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Becq
United States
Cerritos
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I thought that if something wasn't clearly marked as recyclable or compostable, the correct response was to throw it out the window of a moving vehicle?

Hm. I hope I haven't been wrong all these years...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Laine
United States
Whittier
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
That's something you'll need to clear with your local recycling agency. Policy varies from one recycler to another.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mitch Zuleger
United States
Madison
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
When in doubt, recycle. Recycling facilities sort through and look for garbage. But everything in a garbage truck ends up in a landfill even if it's recyclable.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel Hausknecht
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
We have big bins for plastic only on a many places in every town, so maybe you need to look around?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jon Snow
United States
New York City
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
arrrh As far as I know plastic is plastic. I've never heard of certain kinds of plastic being excluded!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sam K
United States
North Carolina
flag msg tools
Not all plastics are the same. Most plastic products (in the US) have a recycling symbol with a number inside it. That number tells you what type of plastic is used; you can look up this number on your city's recycling page to find out if they recycle that type of plastic.

Unfortunately, things like plastic inserts for toys and other products are often not labeled, so it can be difficult to determine if they're recyclable. Thermoformed or vacuformed plastic trays are often not recyclable, but check with your city's recycling page to see if they have more detail.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonan Jello
United States
Newark
California
flag msg tools
badge
♫ As the masters rot on walls ♫ And the angels eat their grapes ♫ I watched Picasso Visit The Planet Of The Apes ♫
mbmbmbmbmb
Those covers that come taped to the vacuuformed (is that the word?) trays, I keep for dice rolling (not for BR, obviously), but everything else - the collapsed cardboard boxes and the plastic leftovers - go into my recycle bin. I sure hope it's all sorted.

Yes all plastic is not the same for recycling purposes.

I also put everything in zippable baggies. Everything fits into the base game's box!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Simon Paulton
United Kingdom
St. Andrews
Fife
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Wow, that was more responses than I was expecting!

We have the same numbered plastics over here in the UK too although I forget what half of them mean and the local council site is terrible for info - no surprises there though

That said after finding my local recycling centre via Google and not the council site it just says they take plastics with no mention of grading.

Recycling bin it is
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rob Bradley
United States
Belleville
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
chas59 wrote:
arrrh As far as I know plastic is plastic. I've never heard of certain kinds of plastic being excluded!

Deep breath in: there are dozens of varieties of plastics all with differing attributes in reusability, recyclability, compostability, and toxicity. I am pretty sure the vast majority of board game trays are made of some type of styrene or LDPE. Styrene and low density polyethylene are some of the most recyclable plastics. Polystyrene for example can be melted and re-blended up to 20 times before it degrades. I would think that boardgame trays are on the low end of the quality scale (think food containers as being made from high quality or virgin material) so I would reckon that the majority of boardgame trays are produced from recycled materials.

As far as recycling, Mitch is right when in doubt recycle. However, there should be a recycle symbol on the container. 1: PET, 2: HDPE, 3: PVC ...al the way to 7 which is "other". Your municipality will only use 1,2,4, maybe 5,6, and almost never 3 and 7. They probably won;t complain to you if you toss these in your bin. but it causes more work for the sorters (which are manual, yes, a person has to sort each piece) so if you know they won't take it its best to put in the trash.

sigh.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.