Subject: Create a custom base deck! rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Canada
Ottawa
Ontario
flag msg tools
mb
So I was playing this recently and I noticed that I am basically picking 20 bases, shuffling those and playing with that. So I thought it might be fun to create a deck of 20-30 base cards that you think are the best! There are a couple of rules though, just to make it interesting.
1. First you must post if you own any expansions and which ones you have.
2. Your base deck must use at least 2 bases from each expansion that you own (Not including the Geek faction, but you may use their bases if you so choose.)
Have fun!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andre Oliveira
Brazil
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Got only AW900 SDF PP atm.

I'd pick: (wiki order)
Quote:
1 The Homeworld - breakpoint 23 - VP's: 4 2 1 - After each time a minion is played here, its owner may play an extra minion of power 2 or less.
2 The Mothership - breakpoint 20 - VP's: 4 2 1 - After this base scores, the winner may return one of his or her minions of power 3 or less to his or her hand.
3 Jungle Oasis - breakpoint 12 - VP's: 2 0 0 - (no ability)
4 Ninja Dojo - breakpoint 18 - VP's: 2 3 2 - After this base scores, the winner may destroy any one minion.
5 The Grey Opal - breakpoint 17 - VP's: 3 1 1 - After this base scores, all players other than the winner may move a minion from here to another base instead of the discard pile.
6 Factory 436-1337 - breakpoint 25 - VP's: 2 2 1 - When this base scores, the winner gains 1 VP for every 5 power that player has here.
7 Cave of Shinies - breakpoint 23 - VP's: 4 2 1 - After each time a minion is destroyed here, its owner gains 1 VP.
8 Mushroom Kingdom - breakpoint 20 - VP's: 5 3 2 - At the start of each player's turn, that player may move one other player's minion from any base to here.
9 Evans City Cemetery - breakpoint 20 - VP's: 5 3 2 - After this base scores, the winner discards his or her hand and draws five cards.
10 Rhodes Plaza Mall - breakpoint 24 - VP's: 0 0 0 - When this base scores, each player gains 1 VP for each minion that player has here.
11 Field of Honor - breakpoint 18 - VP's: 3 2 1 - When one or more minions here are destroyed, the player who destroyed them gains 1 VP.
12 Tsar's Palace - breakpoint 22 - VP's: 5 3 2 - Minions of power 2 or less cannot be played here.
13 The Dread Gazebo - breakpoint 20 - VP's: 4 2 1 - Players cannot play actions on this base.
14 The Greenhouse - breakpoint 24 - VP's: 4 2 1 - The winner may search his or her deck for a minion and play it on the base that replaces this one.
15 Workshop - breakpoint 20 - VP's: 4 2 1 - When a player plays an action card on this base, that player may play an extra action.
16 Monkey Lab - breakpoint 23 - VP's: 4 2 1 - Minions here get +1 power for each action played on them.
17 The Vats - breakpoint 15 - VP's: 3 1 1 - You may not play a minion here that has the same name as another minion here.
18 The Nexus - breakpoint 19 - VP's: 3 3 2 - The winner replaces this base with a base of his or her choice from the base discard pile, if possible.
19 Enchanted Glen - breakpoint 20 - VP's: 4 2 1 - After you play an action on a minion here, draw a card.
20 Fairy Circle - breakpoint 26 - VP's: 4 3 2 - After the first time you play a minion here each turn, you may play an extra minion here or play an extra action.
21 The House of Nine Lives - breakpoint 20 - VP's: 4 2 1 - If a minion at another base would be destroyed, its owner may move it here instead.
22 Pony Land - breakpoint 18 - VP's: 3 2 1 - If you have two or more minions here, your minions here cannot be destroyed.
23 Ice Castle - breakpoint 15 - VP's: 3 2 2 - Minions cannot be played here.

I choose the bases I believe allow most strategic divergence. Might try it then.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Carey Dose
msg tools
mbmbmb
Hmmm, this is an interesting one since I have been trying to figure out which are the most neutral bases, but here is my list: (In no particular order)

1. Mushroom Kingdom (20) 5-3-2: At the start of each player’s turn, that player may move one other person's minion from any base to here.
2. Factory 436-1337 (25) 2-2-1: When this base scores, the winner gains 1VP for every 5 power that player has here.
3. The House of Nine Lives (20)4-2-1: If a minion at another base would be destroyed, its owner may move it here instead.
4. Fairy Circle (26) 4-3-2: After the first term you play a minion here each turn, you may play an extra minion here or play an extra action.
5. Faceless City (20) 4-2-1: Once per turn, after you play a minion here, search your deck for a copy of that minion, reveal it, and place it into your hand. Shuffle your deck.
6. Jungle Oasis (12) 2-0-0: (No Affect)
7. Innsmouth (23) 5-3-2: After each time a minion is played here, its owner may place one card from any player’s discard pile on the bottom of their deck.
8. Standing Stones (20) 4-2-1: During your turn, one of your minions here can use its Talent twice.
9. Birthday Party (20) 4-2-1 (1Mon): If you do not have a minion here, you cannot play a minion on another base.
10. Rhodes Plaza Mall (24) 0-0-0: When this base scores, each player gains 1 VP for each minion that player has here.
11. Antartic Base (24) 5-3-2: Players cannot play more than one minion on this base each turn.
12. Ninja Dojo (18) 2-3-2: After this base scores, the winner may destroy any one minion.
13. The Greenhouse (24) 4-2-1: The winner may search his or her deck for a minion and play it on the base that replaces this one.
14. Laboratorium (25) 5-3-3: The first minion played here each turn gets a +1 power counter.
15. Hotel of Holiness (15) 4-3-2 (2Mon): After this base scores, place minions here on top of their owners' decks, in any order, instead of the discard pile.
16. Equaria (25) 5-3-2: After you play a minion here, you may move one of your minions from another base to here.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Johny D
msg tools
mbmbmb
We are currently working on a list of approved bases for tournament play that are legal to be used at local tournaments. We include bases from each set with the exception of Obligatory Chtulu set and geeks (banned for tournament use). We further deliberating if Munchkin SU would be a fine inclusion for tournament play

By doing so we want to provide options for each factions, while limiting potential unpleasant situations or issues that contravene to the core gameplay of SU. Also we try to maximize utility of each base in order to provide reasons for people to actually play minions on that base and encourage strategic choices.

Ideally we want 24 bases (due to probabilistic reasons), but here are the bases we've chosen so far. The list will be further trimmed.

Base set - 8

The homeworld (still debating over it)
Mothership
Jungle Oasis
Tar pits
Factory 346
The central brain
The great library
Rhodes Plaza mall (still debating over it)

Awesome Level 9000 - 5

T'sar Palace
The dread Gazeebo
Hounted House
Inventor's Saloon
Workshop

SF double Feature - 3
Monkey Lab
Primate park
The Vats

Monster smash - 6

GOlem Schlob
Laboratorium
Castle Blood
Crypt
Moot site
Standing Stones

Pretty pretty SU - 6

Enchanted glen
Fairy Circle
Pony Land
Equaria (still debating over it)
The house of 9 lives
Beautifull castle

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Galen Kaup
msg tools
mbmbmbmb
rulezfin wrote:
We are currently working on a list of approved bases for tournament play that are legal to be used at local tournaments. We include bases from each set with the exception of Obligatory Chtulu set and geeks (banned for tournament use). We further deliberating if Munchkin SU would be a fine inclusion for tournament play

If you're playing 4P FFA, and you're banning more than just Geeks, ban Munchkin, or at least everything except Halflings, Orcs, and Clerics. The monster manipulation factions tend to create boring high-variance positions in 4P FFA.

How many players per game, and how are you picking factions? In many cases, you may find that the full base deck works just fine.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Johny D
msg tools
mbmbmb
Nelagend wrote:

If you're playing 4P FFA, and you're banning more than just Geeks, ban Munchkin, or at least everything except Halflings, Orcs, and Clerics. The monster manipulation factions tend to create boring high-variance positions in 4P FFA.

How many players per game, and how are you picking factions? In many cases, you may find that the full base deck works just fine.

WIth the exception of a single tournament, all tournaments so far have consisted of 4p FFA games.

We do a reverse round-robin that alternates banned faction (for that game) and picked factions (for that game).

We still experiment with Munchkin SU and it seems to integrate better than the Chtulu set at least.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jay Young
United States
virginia beach
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
You must not have an experience warrior player he can make the game anti-fun in a 4 player base by making every base over 35+ to score.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Johny D
msg tools
mbmbmb
zyocuh wrote:
You must not have an experience warrior player he can make the game anti-fun in a 4 player base by making every base over 35+ to score.

Had one of those games at home against one of my friends and my GF. She was playing warrior / ponies against our apes / steampunk and vampire /mages and that game was a pain to finish. Not a single base was broken under 26 points while we also reached an absolute record for a break point (Subterranean Lair - 43 break point)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jay Young
United States
virginia beach
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
One of my regular players, plays warriors almost every-time with mages and can bend the game however way he want's. If a bases power is great for other factions but not for him, he can almost always ensure that base won't score. In a 2 player game warriors are very powerful and just control bases and when they want they can get all the treasures they want.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Galen Kaup
msg tools
mbmbmbmb
zyocuh wrote:

Not in a 4 player game. Monster-nuking one base at a time isn't enough when there are 5 in the middle of the table.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Galen Kaup
msg tools
mbmbmbmb
rulezfin wrote:

WIth the exception of a single tournament, all tournaments so far have consisted of 4p FFA games.

We do a reverse round-robin that alternates banned faction (for that game) and picked factions (for that game).

We still experiment with Munchkin SU and it seems to integrate better than the Chtulu set at least.

Well, for what it's worth, Rhodes Plaza doesn't make a major impact in 4P. It tends to score about the same amount for everyone most of the time, except for occasional Innsmouth Zombies or Time Traveler Wizards craziness... and often when those decks try to take advantage of it, the other 3 players break four other bases while ignoring the Mall and end the game with the Mall sitting at 18/24 uselessly.

I do wonder what Golem Schob is doing in your deck. Is it there solely to give Aliens a Terraform target? It should never be correct to break this base because it offers too few points for 1st relative to 2nd and 3rd.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Johny D
msg tools
mbmbmb
Nelagend wrote:

Well, for what it's worth, Rhodes Plaza doesn't make a major impact in 4P. It tends to score about the same amount for everyone most of the time, except for occasional Innsmouth Zombies or Time Traveler Wizards craziness... and often when those decks try to take advantage of it, the other 3 players break four other bases while ignoring the Mall and end the game with the Mall sitting at 18/24 uselessly.

I do wonder what Golem Schob is doing in your deck. Is it there solely to give Aliens a Terraform target? It should never be correct to break this base because it offers too few points for 1st relative to 2nd and 3rd.

As I said.... We are still debating over a few of them. Also nothing is set in stone atm. GOlem schlob is indeed a bad base in my opinion that provides no incentive to play minions on it. I will certainly mark it for the next revision before holidays.

Regarding Rhodes Plaza Mall... the situation you describe might be a problem (not the fact that it scores too much as some may believe), but everytime this base was in play, we had some very interesting results with it.

Feel free to comment more about the list -- or what other bases you feel there should be on the list.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jay Young
United States
virginia beach
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
I was thinking of creating two custom base decks, taking 1 base from each faction for each deck. Then alternate between the two base decks.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Clarince Edjure
msg tools
So I have seperated bases out by importance which translates into premium (bases that give extra plays or extra vp), disruptive (bases that move minions), fast bases (bases that give power or have a low break point to vp ratio) average (bases with the standard 1 vp for every 5 break point), slow (bases with a higher break point to vp ratio), and finally undesirable (bases that hinder in some way or give 2nd place better/equal vp). I know that's a lot, but if you were to take a couple from each side of the spectrum and put more of the "average" bases in a custom base deck of 20,I think play would be more balanced. What do you guys think?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Clarince Edjure
msg tools
rulezfin wrote:
Nelagend wrote:

As I said.... We are still debating over a few of them. Also nothing is set in stone atm. GOlem schlob is indeed a bad base in my opinion that provides no incentive to play minions on it. I will certainly mark it for the next revision before holidays.

Regarding Rhodes Plaza Mall... the situation you describe might be a problem (not the fact that it scores too much as some may believe), but everytime this base was in play, we had some very interesting results with it.

Feel free to comment more about the list -- or what other bases you feel there should be on the list.

Don't forget that bases that no one wants to play on are perfect for factions that move minions, both for their own minions to sit patiently without fear of the base breaking (so they can move to the target base) and to move opponent's minions from good bases.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.