Jim Bourke
United States
Corvallis
Oregon
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
Saw the earlier thread and couldn't help myself.

What games would you assassinate if you had a time machine?

Jim
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Szarka
Canada
Waterloo
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
When it is your turn to send a VASSAL move, the wait is excruciating. When it's my turn, well, I've been busy.
mbmbmbmbmb
If somebody killed baby Hitler we'd have a lot fewer Bulge and Market-Garden games.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James McHaffey
United States
Rancho Santa Fe
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I presume since this is in the wargames forum, you are referring to wargames only...

Memoir '44 - I get that it is a gateway game but it's still rubbish...
Every Axis & Allies game since the 2004 Revised - talk about beating a dead horse...
UpFront (reprint) - No explanation needed...
Small World - I want to punch the next eurogamer that calls this a "wargame"...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Yodlaf Peterson
United States
Ohio and West Texas
Пиндостан
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb

Case Blue
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pelle Nilsson
Sweden
Linköping
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
mcszarka wrote:
If somebody killed baby Hitler we'd have a lot fewer Bulge and Market-Garden games.

But I like Market-Garden games.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Barry Setser
United States
Millersville
Maryland
flag msg tools
badge
Developer - "Bayonets & Tomahawks" and "Imperial Struggle"
mbmbmbmbmb
Smallworld is a wargame? That's a first time heard here. It's quite competitive (hence the name), but never thought of it as a wargame. Not sure I'd punch someone over the miscategorization, but there would certainly be words of correction coming after their declaration.

heinz_guderian wrote:
I presume since this is in the wargames forum, you are referring to wargames only...

Every Axis & Allies game since the 2004 Revised - talk about beating a dead horse...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sam Carroll
United States
Urbana
Illinois
flag msg tools
Soli Deo Gloria!
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
bsets wrote:
Smallworld is a wargame? That's a first time heard here. It's quite competitive (hence the name), but never thought of it as a wargame. Not sure I'd punch someone over the miscategorization, but there would certainly be words of correction coming after their declaration.

That's the thing. It isn't, but yet somehow it won the Golden Geek award for best new wargame when it came out. Cue brouhaha.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Janik-Jones
Canada
Waterloo
Ontario
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
Up Front fan, Cats were once worshipped as gods and they haven't forgotten this, Combat Commander series fan, The Raven King (game publisher) ... that's me!, Fields of Fire fan
badge
Slywester Janik, awarded the Krzyż Walecznych (Polish Cross of Valour), August 1944
mbmbmbmbmb
Okay, I have a can of gas for this fire ...

ASL.

(Only partly kidding.)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pokey 64
United States
Niagara Falls
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The GMT COIN Series.

Take a eurogame, give it historical theme and it becomes accepted as a wargame?

Small World does the same thing and did it FIRST and because it's so good it doesn't have to hide behind some historical theme.

The next wargamer I hear say that Small World is not a wargame, I'm going to pee on his shoe.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Edward Pundyk
Canada
Ontario
flag msg tools
panzer6 wrote:
The GMT COIN Series.

Take a eurogame, give it historical theme and it becomes accepted as a wargame?

Small World does the same thing and did it FIRST and because it's so good it doesn't have to hide behind some historical theme.

The next wargamer I hear say that Small World is not a wargame, I'm going to pee on his shoe.

I don't even know what Small World is, but you hit the nail on the head regarding COIN.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Burt
United Kingdom
Cambridge
UK
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
I agree on ASL - Squad Leader plus Cross of Iron had all the detail anyone could need. Everything after that (including ASL) jumped the shark.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Stuart
United States
Los Alamos
New Mexico
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
To each his or her own; if people like it, it's fine by me.

The only games I wish really did no longer exist are the psychological ones, along the lines of Games People Play!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Wendell
United States
Yellow Springs
Ohio
flag msg tools
Si non potes reperire Berolini in tabula, ludens essetis non WIF.
badge
Hey, get your stinking cursor off my face! I got nukes, you know.
mbmbmbmbmb
I really don't like tactical games. But I don't wish them not to exist.

As for calling COIN "eurogames". That's just ignorant. Yeah, yeah, yeah, you don't like 'em. Fine, I get it. But (shock!), the presence of wooden cubes does not make a game a euro any more than the presence of cardboard counters or hexes or paper maps makes a game a wargame.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Carl Paradis
Canada
montreal
Québec
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
wifwendell wrote:
I really don't like tactical games. But I don't wish them not to exist.

As for calling COIN "eurogames". That's just ignorant. Yeah, yeah, yeah, you don't like 'em. Fine, I get it. But (shock!), the presence of wooden cubes does not make a game a euro any more than the presence of cardboard counters or hexes or paper maps makes a game a wargame.

Featureless colored wooden cubes are a sure path towards Eurogame madness... shake

Edit: How many non-wargames use hexes, cardboard counters and paper maps? Yep...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Carl Paradis
Canada
montreal
Québec
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
bsets wrote:

heinz_guderian wrote:

OH I see Small World as a wargame for sure!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Carl Paradis
Canada
montreal
Québec
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
pelni wrote:
mcszarka wrote:

But I like Market-Garden games.

We don't care what you like! devil

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Wendell
United States
Yellow Springs
Ohio
flag msg tools
Si non potes reperire Berolini in tabula, ludens essetis non WIF.
badge
Hey, get your stinking cursor off my face! I got nukes, you know.
mbmbmbmbmb
licinius wrote:
bsets wrote:

heinz_guderian wrote:

OH I see Small World as a wargame for sure!

Small World Is a Wargame! Small World Is Not A Wargame!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Carl Paradis
Canada
montreal
Québec
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
wifwendell wrote:

It's obviously a wargame: I took the trouble to glue two copies of the counters together for that game to get double-thick counters. Like I do for most *crap* wargame counters, event if the Smallworld ones were quite thick already...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tim Korchnoi
United States
Richmond
Virginia
flag msg tools
badge
My Little Man's first real wargame play: Barbarossa Solitaire
mbmbmbmbmb
Chess!!
Depending on the day of the week
(I have such a love/hate relationship with this game that's it not even funny!)

Bosworth
Perverted chess

Acquire
Lenny Henry best sums up my feelings at 1:20
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Carl Paradis
Canada
montreal
Québec
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
catosulla wrote:
Chess!!

Let's design a chess game with a paper map, thin counters and hexes: WARGAME!!!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tom Willcockson
United States
Woodstock
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
steveburt wrote:
I agree on ASL - Squad Leader plus Cross of Iron had all the detail anyone could need. Everything after that (including ASL) jumped the shark.

Agree that ASL goes a little too far with the detail at times and frankly I hope that ASLSK becoming a fuller simpler subset system, but so glad they scrapped the accumulating mess that was SL to start over.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Canada
Ottawa
Ontario
flag msg tools
mb
Since the question is phrased about games in general, and not specifically wargames, I'm going to say D&D. Back-in-the-day a huge chunk of my wargaming circle got siphoned off into D&D, never to return.

Also, Warhammer's existence is a bit of an embarrassment.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ben Delp
United States
Franklin
Tennessee
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
rayofsunshine wrote:
Since the question is phrased about games in general, and not specifically wargames, I'm going to say D&D. Back-in-the-day a huge chunk of my wargaming circle got siphoned off into D&D, never to return.

Also, Warhammer's existence is a bit of an embarrassment.

Careful there. Some of us discovered wargames at the local hobby shop while buying D&D stuff!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave Capozzi
United States
Andover
Connecticut
flag msg tools
badge
“Here’s to long life and a merry one. A quick death and an easy one. A pretty girl and an honest one. A cold beer — and another one!”
mbmbmbmbmb
The next newest game that I have to buy before some of my other games have even hit the table.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Janik-Jones
Canada
Waterloo
Ontario
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
Up Front fan, Cats were once worshipped as gods and they haven't forgotten this, Combat Commander series fan, The Raven King (game publisher) ... that's me!, Fields of Fire fan
badge
Slywester Janik, awarded the Krzyż Walecznych (Polish Cross of Valour), August 1944
mbmbmbmbmb
rayofsunshine wrote:
Since the question is phrased about games in general, and not specifically wargames ...

It is?

Agricola!!!!

Banish it back to the inner circles of Dante's hell from whence it slithered. Mash it, squish its guts out, mangle and tear it, rend it asunder with horses, toss its cards into the open sewers of Moria, let maggots crawl over its rotting, pestilent flayed carcass and let ravens pick its eyes out, kills it in nasty ways.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.