Popular Tags: [View All]
Colonel Mustard
Canada
Unspecified
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
We’ve had this expansion since Christmas but have just not taken the time to begin to explore its’ potential....until today.

Because there were only two of us, we chose to play Big Cities. This way, we assumed it would be most crowded (read: interesting) given that there were fewer destinations available. As it turned out, we were nearly always in each others way. It almost felt like a five player game. Of course the double routes only used as single ones, added to the claustrophobia as well.

Speaking of being in each others way...my opponent’s first move was to place trains on exactly the track I was going to take. This was a fine start. I scrambled for another route into Las Vegas and claimed a different option. (I learned at the end of the game that this move cut her off. She was never able to recover.) We spent a couple of turns replenishing our hands and I was ready to play out of New York. But she went first....and took the only route I had the cards for. I was left wondering for awhile how I would connect to New York, but later managed by coming south from Montréal.

The game played out that way for most of the time with us always on each others tail and taking what the other needed...without even trying. We assumed Big Cities would be like that....and we were not disappointed.

I figured I had held her back from completing at least one of her four destination cards. And I thought I was going to finish all of mine. But – can you believe it – as she neared the end of her train cars, she claimed the route I needed from LA. This cut me off and left me no time to recover.

She went out first with her trains...I had enough to claim a random route of five, which gave me ten points. The destination card in my hand that I could not finish, was worth ten. So they cancelled each other out. In the end...I was exactly two points ahead, for the win. It was a tight finish to a tight game. We liked it. The expansion did not strike us as earth shaking or revolutionary, but so far so good. We liked what we saw.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Clare C
United Kingdom
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Useful, thanks! I have this expansion and hadn't quite seen the point of the big cities version. Now I do. And I think in this version I might FINALLY be able to beat my boyfriend, who always seems to win and I can't for the life of me see how/why. (I always beat him at Carcassonne, but TtR is all his game). bluetrain

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John N.
United States
Lehi
Utah
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
A rather unfair way to start this game is to take both routes in to Las Vegas. My wife and her brother will automatically discard any Las Vegas routes because of the danger of this happening very quickly (and with no Stations in the USA game this can turn out pretty nasty). The funny thing being they were the ones who first noticed how nasty a maneuver this would be, and let everyone know that if you have a Las Vegas route then to do this first off.

Luckily we try and not play any sort of blocking game, and just go for our routes. Just keep in mind if you ever have Vegas in your hand though.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.