Laramie
Wyoming
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
It looks interesting.

It has interesting art.

It has an expansion Kickstarter going.

But why is there so little action and discussion about it here?

Is it just overlooked or does it have issues?

Are MoV and Firefly just better options?

Can anyone help me out with a bit more info?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Trevor Taylor
United Kingdom
FARINGDON
Oxfordshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I backed it, but still haven't played it yet. It's certainly a different beast compared to MoV. It's a little more like Firefly, but still fairly loosely. I think it might be the fact that the dice are too important, with little true luck mitigation for a game style which is usually more 'crunchy' so it's a kind of hybrid that doesn't appeal to some.

I love space themed games and tend to get them to the table as soon as possible (especially solo possible games). Yet this one still lingers...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Cox
United States
Archdale
North Carolina
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
Good question but we at KnA Games there there are two main reasons:

1) This game is still very new. We are a small company and don't have the means to do a big release like the larger companies. So there are only 1000 copies of Space Movers currently on the market. Of those 1000 only about half are in the hands of players. As we all know there are so many games to play and so little time to play them, so most likely a lot of those copies that are in the hands of players have yet to be enjoyed. With this latest Kickstarter we are raising funds to do a second printing of the game with a few minor changes. Hopefully next year we will get more buzz with more people being familiar with the game.

2) The die roll mechanic is so different that its causing some die hard tabletop gamers to judge the game before playing it. In the hundreds of plays we have done over the past year the die roll mechanic has been a huge hit and players are surprised at the level of fun and tension it creates. Every game is not for everyone, but those that enjoy the type of experience Space Movers creates are having a great time with it. We have seen a lot of skeptics converted during gameplay.

Hope you give it a try!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Trevor Taylor
United Kingdom
FARINGDON
Oxfordshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Okay, a post from the Designers has 'got' me. My wife has had to work late at home each night this week. So if she has to again tonight, I'll play it and even come back and tell you what I thought from one play!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Barry Miller
United States
Saint Charles
Missouri
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb

DegenerateElite wrote:

Can anyone help me out with a bit more info?

(Everything that follows is my personal opinion). To answer your overall question...

Bottom Line: Timing.

When Space Movers released this year, there were already two other gang leaders on the block: Firefly and Xia. Space Movers fits exactly with these games, and thusly had to compete for attention with both.

Unfortunately, the core Space Movers as released, simply didn't have what it takes to successfully compete for player share against those two established titans. Realize that I've been won over, and am extremely impressed by Kevin and April's enthusiasm, skills, passion, and drive! All of which shows in the game, their KS campaigns, and their interaction with their fan base.

The good news is that Space Movers is their first table top game (as far as I can tell). So given their attributes described above, they can only go up. And that's where the current Kickstarter campaign comes into play. With their gained experience and willingness to listen to their fans, the new campaign is adding new elements to Space Movers which will enhance it to a higher level.

I played the new enhancements with Kevin at Gen Con and was impressed. The enhancements will knock Space Movers up a tier in game play. And IMHO, will knock it up enough to compete with Firefly and Xia. Though I think it's too late to fully compete with both those games, the new twist that Space Movers brings to the genre will attract a new audience, and will entice enough of the Firefly/Xia players to hold its own.

Bottom Line: Timing. If Space Movers had been released before Firefly (or at least before Xia, as the Firefly brand attracts a huge fan base no matter what), then I think it'd be a much bigger game today. Also, it can't be ignored that the new Space Movers will find that audience that if it wasn't for it's steep price, would've otherwise gone to Xia. Xia is an expensive game, while Space Movers is priced for the average gamer. So I think the difference in price points will help attract the players that otherwise might've gone for Xia instead.

EDIT: I've neglected to point out one HUGE distinguishing factor between Space Movers and the other two games... Space Movers is a Cooperative game, while the other two aren't. This can't be ignored when comparing the three games (or even Merchants of Venus, for that matter). As a coop game, Space Movers stands alone in this genre (after all, I'm not aware of any others, but my knowledge of other space-themed co-op games is limited). Thusly I think, as a Space-Themed Co-Op game, is where it has the opportunity to shine.

BTW, I've been promising a written review for a long time and am ashamed that I've let the rest of my life take priority. But you can be looking for it soon.

In the meantime, I hope my opinion above helps provide a possible answer to your question!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Cox
United States
Archdale
North Carolina
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi Taylor, didn't mean to pressure you into playing it. Hope you love it though! Also if you like it, the expansion mentioned here are currently on Kickstarter through Saturday.

Happy rolling!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Cox
United States
Archdale
North Carolina
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi Barry great to talk to you again. Had a great time gaming with you at GenCon.

We are finding it quite common for players to compare Space Movers to other games like Firefly. Its sci-fi, it has a pick up and deliver element, but that's about where the comparisons should end in my opinion. Space Movers is going to have some of the feel of the show Firefly, because that's one of the older fun shows it pays tribute too. When designing the game my wife and I wanted to create a love letter of sorts to classic FUN sci-fi. We paid direct tribute in the game to Star Wars, Star Trek, Battlestar and Firefly. There are reference to each, and the game is meant to feel familiar as a result. We hope we pulled that feel off and players leave the game with a smile on their face. If that happens we are happy!

Yes we are competing for attention against those other games and a ton more. And competing for attention with tons of other game companies large and small. We are trying really hard but it is slow going. We are going to keep plugging away.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Trevor Taylor
United Kingdom
FARINGDON
Oxfordshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Well, it was quite enjoyable. It basically felt like a cross between Firefly: The Game and Dungeon Fighter. I managed to drag the game out a bit too much by putting too much emphasis on Cargo (not enough on the objectives). But won out in the end with 6 supplies left (and half the UO tokens out).

I can see me getting this to the table again. Although for me, I don't feel a need to add anything to the game at the moment.

I also can see more clearly why people have divided opinions on this. As it's taking such opposite ends of the gaming spectrum (deterministic pick-up & deliver and luck/skill based dice dexterity).

If you don't enjoy both sides of the game (some will only like one or the other, or possible neither) then this isn't the game for you. But if you like both aspects, it's a nice original game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Cox
United States
Archdale
North Carolina
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks Trevor, glad you enjoyed it! As you get better at die rolling and using all the resources at your disposal through the game you will need to turn up the difficulty level a bit. Thats where the Kickstarter expansion comes in. It will be there when you need it to keep the game challenging!

Kevin

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Middleton
United States
Laramie
Wyoming
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for the replies everybody, they are all quite helpful.

Kevin, you mention that you are working on a second printing with some changes...

Is this the version you would get if you buy it through the current Kickstarter?

What do these changes entail?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Cox
United States
Archdale
North Carolina
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
John,

If you back the Kickstarter you will get one of the last first editions of Space Movers. It includes an exclusive Kickstarter roll mat and objective card set. The next printing won't include those items.

The second printing will have some minor quality upgrades that probably only I will notice.

Kevin
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Middleton
United States
Laramie
Wyoming
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Ahh...so it's just normal printing fixes and not any game changes.

Thanks for the info!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Barry Miller
United States
Saint Charles
Missouri
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
knagames wrote:
We are finding it quite common for players to compare Space Movers to other games like Firefly. Its sci-fi, it has a pick up and deliver element, but that's about where the comparisons should end in my opinion. Space Movers is going to have some of the feel of the show Firefly, because that's one of the older fun shows it pays tribute too.
Yes we are competing for attention against those other games and a ton more. And competing for attention with tons of other game companies large and small. We are trying really hard but it is slow going. We are going to keep plugging away.

Yes, agreed! But I perceive that Firefly players may not be taking the time to do a thorough comparison. My perception is that since Space Movers' released, they've heard that "it compares" to Firefly, so they say to themselves, "I already have Firefly so why would I want Space Movers?", then they move on.

But if they were to take a 2nd look, they'd release that Space Movers is a Co-Op (which I didn't even get around to pointing out in my earlier post till the end). Firefly is not. That's perhaps the biggest categorization difference between the two games. Then of course as you mentioned earlier, there are many other differences as well, which again, I'm not sure that Firefly fans have bothered to explore.

So until they do learn of those differences, is why I said it was a matter of timing, to answer the OP's question. Right now, the audience that would've been for Space Movers is still ga-ga over Firefly. And until they catch onto Space Movers and realize what it actually is, it will be an uphill climb to attract that portion of the market. I'm hoping that the current KS campaign will cause some of that market to take a second look!

Of course this is all my bloviated personal opinion.

(And for the record I have both games - because they are different)

BTW, Divad X looks cool!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Cox
United States
Archdale
North Carolina
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks Barry, we love DivadX too.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.