Michael Hartman
United States
Kentucky
flag msg tools
mb
Hello everyone,

My studio, Frogdice, is building an mmorpg that has a tabletop/boardgame style aesthetic and gameplay style.

Here is an image from the overworld. As you can see your character is basically a figurine/miniature, and the same is true for monsters, dungeons, caves, etc:



Combat is turn based on a grid, like many of our favorite pen and paper RPGs:



Our dungeons also have a very tabletop/wargaming type feel to them:



Without going into tons more detail about all the game's features, a couple questions:

1) Do you think this type of game would appeal to boardgamers/tabletop gamers/warhammers? Or is the medium (computer game) too much of a negative for them?

2) If you do think our game would appeal to these types of gamers, what are some of the best ways to reach them?

We have 4 days left on a a kickstarter for the game right now (http://stashkickstarter.frogdice.com), but even beyond that we take pre-orders/backers via our web site (http://stash.frogdice.com) so people can always jump on board. We want to reach out to more boardgame/tabletop/wargamer folks over the next few months. We're hoping to build up a great community in advance so when the game launches we have a wonderful core group of players to get us off the ground.

Thanks,
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sean Colombo
United States
Raleigh / Durham
North Carolina
flag msg tools
BlueLineGameStudios.com
badge
BlueLine Game Studios - Digital Tabletop games since 2011
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Congrats on the Kickstarter being funded! It looks like progress is coming along pretty well, too.


I make digital versions of board games, so we're in a similar boat. For #2, you might be able to get some interest over at: https://www.reddit.com/r/digitaltabletop (but reddit hates self-promotion, so be careful). The only other way I know of that you could reach boardgamers (without actually having a board game) is to buy ads in a few spots. No paid advertising we've ever done was profitable, but the closest to it was buying ads on BoardGameGeek.com (I'm not affiliated with them, I just use the site).

Good luck with everything!
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Hartman
United States
Kentucky
flag msg tools
mb
SeanColombo wrote:
Congrats on the Kickstarter being funded! It looks like progress is coming along pretty well, too.


Thank you!

SeanColombo wrote:

I make digital versions of board games, so we're in a similar boat.


That's cool. I will definitely have to check your games out!

SeanColombo wrote:

For #2, you might be able to get some interest over at: https://www.reddit.com/r/digitaltabletop (but reddit hates self-promotion, so be careful).


This is basically why I completely avoid reddit. It just isn't worth it. Far too easy for some cliquey mods to flip out because you did something so "terrible" as promote one of your own projects.

SeanColombo wrote:

The only other way I know of that you could reach boardgamers (without actually having a board game) is to buy ads in a few spots. No paid advertising we've ever done was profitable, but the closest to it was buying ads on BoardGameGeek.com (I'm not affiliated with them, I just use the site).


Same experience. That's why I generally stay away from buying ads. They've never worked well for us.

I prefer things where it is possible to have a conversation with the gamers who might see the post or article about our game rather than a static ad.

SeanColombo wrote:

Good luck with everything!


Thanks again!
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nicolas Guibert
United Kingdom
London
London
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Same experience for me with ads. What cost per 1000 views would made advertising worth it for you?
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.