Love Letter» Forums » General

Subject: love letter with a 6 year old girl rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Andreas Tyrberg
Sweden
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
I'm thinking of giving love letter to my childs order cousin, 6 years old.
Actually I bought the game and then saw 8+on the package.

So what is your suggestion?

Should I begin the indoctrination this year, or let the game 'wait' in my bookshelf?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Mohnkern
United States
Germantown
Maryland
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I've talked to a number of people that have played this with kids younger than six. You might have to do some explaining, but if they can count, and you think she can understand the rules, its a great game for youngsters!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jerry Martin
United States
Loveland
Colorado
flag msg tools
badge
1 Million Shogoths Killed and Counting.
mbmbmbmbmb
It's fine. I have played with 6.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David K.
United States
Pflugerville
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Maybe even consider the Munchkin Loot Letter edition for kids around that age?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Convento
United States
flag msg tools
mb
Shadowen wrote:

I would also suggest looking into the other editions of Love Letter. My kids like the game but not so into the theme. I had purchased Letters to Santa last winter, and they get a kick out of playing that more. Same game, just different images.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Cornixt
msg tools
badge
Cheap as chips
mbmbmbmbmb
Their ability to read is really the only thing holding them back from a simple game like Love Letter at that age. If they are a strong reader then you should have no reservations, otherwise it will take a little time for them to learn the game, which would be mostly memorizing what each card can do.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andreas Tyrberg
Sweden
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Shadowen wrote:

As Cornix did write are reading a good skill for love letter.
And as we are from sweden she learns swedish first, and a 6 year old have enough in reading her own language. IF she had been 10 english had been fun and learning at the right level.

And original love letter am sadly enough the only version (yet), so that was the obvius version to buy. I thought also about other versions and asked for it in the shop.

Had bought the Santa version if a swedish translation had existerar.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Donagh Molloy
Ireland
Limerick
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I thought my daughter love letter when she was a young 6 by her memorising what each picture did and she loved it. She tried play batman love letter with her sisters without me doing that and couldn't play. Ages are only guides and can be completely out. Try the games with your child and see what they are able for. I went on to teach the same daughter citadels using the same method for the characters and she got on well enough that she could play with us
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Peter Cooper
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
Mage Wars: Beastmaster's Pet
mbmbmbmbmb
I agree with the other responses - if the child belongs to a family that will play with her, there will be no problem.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Max DuBoff
United States
New Brunswick
New Jersey
flag msg tools
"My name is Ozymandias, king of kings: / Look on my works, ye Mighty, and despair!"
badge
Habeo in animo vivere in perpetuum aut mori dum conor.
mbmbmbmbmb
It's also worth noting that the recommended age on the package isn't always honest. Sometimes it's lower to encourage sales, but more often it's higher to make sure people don't think of the product as a "kids' game."
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Confusing Manifestation
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
MD1616 wrote:
It's also worth noting that the recommended age on the package isn't always honest. Sometimes it's lower to encourage sales, but more often it's higher to make sure people don't think of the product as a "kids' game."

Also, sometimes if a game or toy claims to be suitable for certain ages it has to go through a bunch of safety tests, and a lot of publishers don't want to go through that so they just claim the minimum age they can get away with (although in LL's case the wooden cubes might pose a choking hazard for the very young, so for them there's a risk they wouldn't pass the tests anyway).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Heine
United States
Waconia
Minnesota
flag msg tools
badge
Keep calm and game on.
mbmbmbmbmb
I almost never go off of the recommended ages on the box. I look up the game here on the Geek and see what others that have played it recommend.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andreas Tyrberg
Sweden
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
I can now give an afterreport on how it did go.

I did give my wifes niece Love Letter. On the visit at there house this summer we sadly didn´t have time to play (lot´s of playing outside and bathing) but I did take a look at t´he game in the shelf.

Sadly id do not looks like it have been played many times. It seems like the parents do not have taken the time to sit down and play together with there daughter and her friends, so they can learn the game.

Tried to suggest that it was a perfect game for there caravan, and the daughter looked like she liked the idea, but her parents looked a bit sceptic. I will see what happends.

But my tip is, if you ain´t sure that you will have the time to learn the child the game you probably shouldn´t buy it. Even if the girl could manage the game by herself after she learn´t the game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Melen
United States
Maryland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I think that if you play it with your wife's niece, she will love it. You can't expect the parents to be on board with the game if they haven't played it before. One suggestion: instead of 'love letters', make it pepperoni pizzas, or cookies. That makes more sense to a child! It also might make the game G-rated instead of PG-rated, in her parents' eyes.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andreas Tyrberg
Sweden
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
mjmelen wrote:
I think that if you play it with your wife's niece, she will love it.

Absolutly.
But the if have been a bit hard to overcome. (distance and taking care of my own children, that can´t play games) And the princess theme ain´t turning the family of. That´s a perfect theme for her so that´s no problem with that

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.