Subject: Which Witch? / Spookslot ~ Deranged Review rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Grand Marshall Deranged
Netherlands
Utrecht
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hello! Welcome to the review. Have a seat! Criticism is welcome - bitching isn't.

Many, many years ago, when I was just a little Deranged, my cousins had this spooky game that actually creeped me out so bad I did not want to finish the game. Later on as I became older, the game became less creepy, and when I found it as part of a second hand game lot, I was quite happy. It was definitely well-played and showed its age, but it still works.

Also, it's not called "Which Witch?", which is cute - it's called Ghost Castle in Dutch, with creepy candlewax letters on the box.

I'll be giving grades on several aspects of the game, such as discussed here.
For ART, I look at the big picture, and how that picture looks. EASE covers ease of play and learning curve, FLEXIBILITY covers the amount of free will you have and is therefore linked to replayability. FUN might be deceptive, as it's a gut thang, but I'll try and specify in the text, and COMPONENTS should be self-explanatory. I'll not say a lot about rules and specifics - you can find those out for yourself.

The Game Itself: Fireball Castle
Roll die, move, spin spinner, pray. First one on top of the stairs wins!

ART
-As I said, the game actually creeped me out when I was little. I seem to recall the tree was particularly scary for some reason. This version is not the kid-friendly one from the 70's, with the bald Cousin It stepping in through the window or the realy ancient one with what is clearly a kid in a blanket - this was te 80's one with ghosts with their head under their arm, R.O.U.S.'es and that *shiver* tree.

Not this one.

EASE
-It's easy like Sunday morning.

FLEXIBILITY
-You don't really have any options - there are some houserule variants that add Fate counters and such, but the game itself is pure Roll and Move with added bad luck.

FUN
-It's not just nostalgia - the game is pretty fun to play when the theme fits in, evenings like Halloween or Friday the 13th. The added skull factor, especially when multiple people can get hit, makes the game really tense - I'd have liked it if there were more Danger Zones, or perhaps just larger ones to make this effect more noticeable. Of course, the game could also very easily be made more interesting with adding a few more options, like nearly any Roll and Move.

COMPONENTS
-Very thick cardboard. Even after years of (ab)use, the game looks pretty good, although cardboard is not very suitable for parts that need to slide into notches :/. And, apparantly, the laminating machine cannot take on cardboard shake. I fixed it, though.

Pro's
Great game for themenights. Yes, there are better options out there, but few look as impressive as this one.
It has a wobbly floor that can launch your pawn! As seen in the commercial.
The skull glows in the dark, so you can play in the shadows.

Con's
The game has very few options.
That tree...

End result:
The theme of the game is very strong, and the illustrations are genuinly creepy, but the game is rather shallow. Like I said before, the inherent flaws of R&M games are present, but at least the skull adds tension. The line between tension and tedium can be very small, though, so you're probably best off playing this game when it heightens the atmosphere (so refrain from playing it on a sunny beach).

googoo
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thodesi
Netherlands
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Played this one many times as a kid. Still in good condition and looking great. Nowadays I play it on regular base with my own kids. Always great fun

Thank you for this review
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Grand Marshall Deranged
Netherlands
Utrecht
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
You're very welcome .

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John "Omega" Williams
United States
Kentwood
Michigan
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
The US version titled Ghost Castle also had that same melted wax logo.

Which was the version we had.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.