Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Chuck Dudschus
United States
Tucson
Arizona
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Played our first game last night with my 15 year old son, major good bonding time, we played the first battle he had 6 command cards I had 4 we found it difficult to move or battle someimes because the cards we had in our hands, there were no corrisponding troops in those sections, ? can you discard any other cards besides the one you just played. I read the rules quickly i did not see anything, if you cant discard more then one has anybody changed this up, and how is it working.soblue
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul DeStefano
United States
Long Island
New York
flag msg tools
designer
badge
It's a Zendrum. www.zendrum.com
mbmbmbmbmb
SaintsnSoldiers wrote:
can you discard any other cards besides the one you just played.

No.

This is where the challenge of hand management comes in and making sure you don't clump your resources and leave yourself in an 'uncommandable' position.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alex Martinez
United States
Irving
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
According to the rules, there is no discarding. You're stuck with a card until you play it. If you play it and it doesn't do anything, well I guess that's pretty close to discarding.

The intent of this rule is to reflect the difficulty in coordinating an army on the battlefield. It also reflects being outmaneuvered, since if you are severely weakened in one section, you are more likely to have command cards that accomplish very little. Personally, I like that because you have to make decisions of when to issue powerful commands and when to issue throwaways before they come back to hurt you.

As always though, Battlelore is your game. Play it the way you want. I think the easiest way to deal with the problem would be to allow players to optionally discard a command card at the end of their turn, then draw back to their maximum. That way, you wouldn't get stuck with a lot of command cards you don't want.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chuck Dudschus
United States
Tucson
Arizona
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb

The intent of this rule is to reflect the difficulty in coordinating an army on the battlefield. It also reflects being outmaneuvered, since if you are severely weakened in one section, you are more likely to have command cards that accomplish very little. Personally, I like that because you have to make decisions of when to issue powerful commands and when to issue throwaways before they come back to hurt you.

I like this didn't think about that, thanks for the input, this is a fun game
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chuck Dudschus
United States
Tucson
Arizona
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Above paragraph is supposed to be a quote from King Croc, not sure how to do that yet.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Morris
United States
Raytown
Missouri
flag msg tools
2nd, 6th and 7th Wisconsin, 19th Indiana, 24th Michigan
badge
24th Michigan Monument Gettysburg Pa
mbmbmbmbmb
Good hand management is key in this game. Don't fall into the trap of trying to play the best card in your hand every turn. Plan ahead. Let's say you like your set up on the right. Start saving up cards for the right and maybe move a unit or two from the center to that side. Then when you have three good attack cards for the right use them to deliver a nice 1-2-3 hammer blow. Also try to keep a flexible card in reserve that can be used in any section. Use that when an opportunity shows up for attack.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Josh
United States
flag msg tools
CHA was my dump stat
badge
Snob of the People
mbmbmbmbmb
And don't forget to preferentially move your units to the hexes split by the dotted line, as they are considered to be in two sections of the board. This give a huge increase in flexibility.

Also, don't know if you played with full morale and follow-on actions, but when there is nothing pressingly offensive that needs to be done it is always wise to get your units into support (bold).

Glad you enjoy it, I do too!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Niko Ruf
Germany
Schönaich
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
JoshBot wrote:
And don't forget to preferentially move your units to the hexes split by the dotted line, as they are considered to be in two sections of the board. This give a huge increase in flexibility.

Ansolutely. You need to manage your troop distribution as well as your hand. Try to keep at least one unit in each section, preferably on the split hexes or near the line, so they can move to fight in two sections if necessary. It can really by the wiser choice to forgo an opportunity to attack in order to set up your troops more effectively.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Smith
United States
Troy
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Niko Ruf wrote:
JoshBot wrote:

Ansolutely. You need to manage your troop distribution as well as your hand. Try to keep at least one unit in each section, preferably on the split hexes or near the line, so they can move to fight in two sections if necessary. It can really by the wiser choice to forgo an opportunity to attack in order to set up your troops more effectively.

It's a hard balance to strike between having good command position (i.e. spread out) with good defensive position (i.e. clumped together). In my first game I had to collapse my left flank to protect some weakened units, but this caused me to vacate the left section. Wouldn't you know, I kept drawing left-section-only cards, and eventually had 5 of 6 cards be useless. Fortunately (for me), my opponent had the opposite problem. Having vacated the right region to attack me, he drew a hand of right-region-only cards.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.