Hide
11 Posts

Mice and Mystics» Forums » General

Subject: Starting Characters in M&M rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
King Quincy
msg tools
Going to start a campaign soon with the kiddos, was wondering what everyone's thoughts were on which four characters to take through? I know Lily is out at the beginning, do you recommend the classic fighter, mage, cleric(healer), and rogue setup? Or does the game steer you to the four characters you should use in each scenario? I know the mice don't really level up per say, but should you be using/rotating all of the mice to build their gear for the campaign?

Thanks in advance!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe Oppedisano
United States
Eau Claire
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
It's really a matter of personal taste, ultimately. It won't slow down character leveling that much to rotate characters in each chapter.

That being said, Nez is someone I always bring simply because he is the powerhouse of the group, rolling more dice. He can be frustrating regarding movement, as he also has the lowest base movement rate, though.

At least one range character is good to have. But keep in mind that the dice have fewer range symbols. So you may find that you miss more often with range characters, until you have some weapons and cheese that allow you to mitigate the rolls a bit.

I personally like Filch. He's just well rounded and the early chapters include a fair amount of rats, which give him cheese each time he kills them (and often get to take the from the cheese wheel - delaying a surge).

I can live without Collin. He's good but not better than anyone else, imo. And for some reason, I tend to roll so horribly that he misses more than he hits (but that's my bad luck, not his abilities). But his "give order" ability can be good to squeeze out an additional attack by Nez when you need it (or add some movement to Nez).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Bowles
Australia
Tatura
Victoria
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The mice do level up by "buying" abilities for 6 cheese.

Once a mouse has 3-4 abilities they can be a lot more flexible and useful than a starting mouse.

But I think you'll find that rotating them around will be fine, and who you take rarely makes a difference, unless you gave Tilda First Aid in which case she's the only one who can heal wounds.

Some chapters require certain mice, so everyone is going to get a run at some point.

The only time i can remember regretting our selection was when we had no ranged characters (probably Collin, Nez, Tilda and Filch w/o a bow) and we had some elite Rats on a bookcase or something.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe Oppedisano
United States
Eau Claire
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
balzi wrote:

The only time i can remember regretting our selection was when we had no ranged characters (probably Collin, Nez, Tilda and Filch w/o a bow) and we had some elite Rats on a bookcase or something.

Ahh yes! I remember this scenario (chapter 3, I think?). I had the same issue. The rats on the bookcase were untouchable due to a convergence of several factors that conspired against me. I also didn't have an item I could use and no ranged mice (the one I had was captured). I ended up having to end the scenario and re-play it. It was frustrating to run into an unwinnable situation like that!

But as you mentioned, most of the time it won't affect the chapter whoever you choose to bring in.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ray Greenley
United States
Harleysville
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
Greetings Commander
mbmbmbmbmb
Collin with Give Order is hugely effective early on, especially if you have Nez as well. You can choose pretty much any character and be successful, although I'd suggest favoring cheaper abilities that will be easier to use.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Sinclair
United States
North Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I find Tilda is my "can't leave behind." And recently I've seen what she can do when she has First Aid, those free action heals are pretty neat.

Filch, is typically a supporting cast member in my eyes, but when I miss him I really miss him! Many-a-game have I wished he was around to release pressure on that friggin cheese wheel.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
King Quincy
msg tools
Chiken Bird wrote:
I find Tilda is my "can't leave behind." And recently I've seen what she can do when she has First Aid, those free action heals are pretty neat.

Filch, is typically a supporting cast member in my eyes, but when I miss him I really miss him! Many-a-game have I wished he was around to release pressure on that friggin cheese wheel.

So it sounds like Tilda and Filch are definitely two valuable characters to have in the party, one for heals, the other for ranged and rogue stuff, with Nez being the tank/damage dealer. You are correct Matt, I read trough the rule-book a little last night and I didn't realize the mice keep their abilities between scenarios, so I was incorrect, they do level-up. How's Maginos (I think that's his name) the mage? Is he really valuable to the group or is it better to just run two fighters, a healer, and a ranger/rogue type? Thanks for all of the replies, this game looks fantastic and I'm sure the kids will love it once I get the hang of the rules.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Throwin Rocks
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I agree that Tilda and her healing powers are a must have. My daughter and I have played through several chapters. Not only is Tilda very helpful, she is my daughter's favorite character. Now that Lily has joined the clan, my daughter doesn't want to leave her behind either. So I suppose it depends whether or not your kiddos are girls or boys.

That being said, I really do like Nez. He's a great tank, plus he is a Tinker too.

Also, now that we have Lily, I feel all right about not putting Maginos in the group. Lily's ranged attack has so far been a suitable replacement for Maginos' ranged magic.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
michael ray
msg tools
mbmbmbmb
I highly recommend Colin, Filch, Maganose and Lily (who you can't get yet, so Tilda for healing?)

Get Filch a bow as quick as you can.

Use Colin to give other mice extra attacks thru either of his leadership abilities (the one that gives a whole turn, or the one that gives an extra action)
Use Filch for cheese wheel control.
Use Maganose for basic range attacks.
Use other mouse (Tilda/Nez) as crowd control only as needed, force them to come to you.

Once you get Lily, dump Tilda/Nez and just go 3 range + Colin.

Range is huge in this game, even with the lower % rolls associated, if you can kill most of the bad guys before they get to you Tilda becomes pretty useless, and Nez is useless with out armor, and he doesn't start out with any.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Brown
New Zealand
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
squegeeboo wrote:
I highly recommend Colin, Filch, Maganose and Lily (who you can't get yet, so Tilda for healing?)

Get Filch a bow as quick as you can.

Use Colin to give other mice extra attacks thru either of his leadership abilities (the one that gives a whole turn, or the one that gives an extra action)
Use Filch for cheese wheel control.
Use Maganose for basic range attacks.
Use other mouse (Tilda/Nez) as crowd control only as needed, force them to come to you.

Once you get Lily, dump Tilda/Nez and just go 3 range + Colin.

Range is huge in this game, even with the lower % rolls associated, if you can kill most of the bad guys before they get to you Tilda becomes pretty useless, and Nez is useless with out armor, and he doesn't start out with any.
Nez is probably my favourite of the heroes from the base game, but i agree with this assessment in terms of giving your best chances of success

that said, i still play for fun and choose Nez (and Ansel too, cos he's awesome as well) as often as i can

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Dougan
United States
Urbana
Illinois
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
My 10-year-old and I are playing in one of the PBF games here, and we've checked the game out from our local library a couple times. He LOVES Nez. In what we've gotten to play, I see advantages to all of the rest of them, too.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.