Star Trek: Attack Wing» Forums » News

Subject: Dreadnought Preview up rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Nathan M
Canada
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
http://www.startrek.com/article/preview-attack-wing-wave-21-...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Justin Hare
msg tools
I think I really only want the ship itself. The ship text would be awesome if Dominion had a 1 or 2SP weapon. But those stats and a 180 front arc... I can use that. Even with the captain limitations and the dial.

I love the idea, but not the execution of Matter-Antimatter Warhead.

If Thoron Shock Emitter could be on any Dominion ship, I would love that card. It would be the best parts of several different weapons. With the ATR-4107 only text, it make no sense to ever equip that card. Ever.

Plasma wave... they made Ambush Attack even worse.

If some of these upgrades were cheaper (by 2-3SP) or not limited to that class, I would love this expansion.

I have no idea what series the Dreadnought is actually from, but it has to be an expansion from Voyager given these soulless technobabble card titles. Kinetic Detonator? Really? The word "bomb" didn't have enough syllables?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Weidlich
msg tools
mbmb
Church14 wrote:
I think I really only want the ship itself. The ship text would be awesome if Dominion had a 1 or 2SP weapon. But those stats and a 180 front arc... I can use that. Even with the captain limitations and the dial.

I love the idea, but not the execution of Matter-Antimatter Warhead.

If Thoron Shock Emitter could be on any Dominion ship, I would love that card. It would be the best parts of several different weapons. With the ATR-4107 only text, it make no sense to ever equip that card. Ever.

Plasma wave... they made Ambush Attack even worse.

If some of these upgrades were cheaper (by 2-3SP) or not limited to that class, I would love this expansion.

I have no idea what series the Dreadnought is actually from, but it has to be an expansion from Voyager given these soulless technobabble card titles. Kinetic Detonator? Really? The word "bomb" didn't have enough syllables?

Maintenance Crew to equip Sakonnaa and then load up with cheap weapons maybe. And you can use Sakonna to fix 2 damage.

Dreadnought is from Voyager, but its weird as the show has it as a Cardassian Weapon that failed to detonate and that N'Ehlana Torres of the Maquis fixed and fired it back at the Cardassians.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Justin Hare
msg tools
Ok, that could conceivably work.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joshua Covert
United States
Saint Louis
Missouri
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Is Thoron Shock Emitter the worst card ever in Attack Wing? I mean, even the bad cards have limited use in the right situations, but unless I'm missing something, there is absolutely no reason to ever use or equip this card. Please tell me there's some redeeming quality to this that I can't see.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Montgomery
United States
Modesto
California
flag msg tools
badge
The Shipyard - Star Trek Attack Wing spoilers and reviews
mbmbmbmbmb
Japherwaki wrote:
Is Thoron Shock Emitter the worst card ever in Attack Wing? I mean, even the bad cards have limited use in the right situations, but unless I'm missing something, there is absolutely no reason to ever use or equip this card. Please tell me there's some redeeming quality to this that I can't see.

Unless they're planning some big rule changes to primary weapons, I've got absolutely nothing.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Justin Hare
msg tools
mathguy6189 wrote:
Japherwaki wrote:

Unless they're planning some big rule changes to primary weapons, I've got absolutely nothing.

Ditto. All of the weapon pumping cards I can think of would just buff the primary weappn as well. So... I got nothin'

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sodoff Baldrick
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I almost want 2 just for the Dominion Quantum Torpedoes The base ship alone is solid. Can't figure out what is up with the Shock Emitters though. Looks like a Galor class dial, but with that 180 arc it will do fine. I was hoping it would come with a Dominion version of Feedback Pulse, but oh well.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sodoff Baldrick
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
mathguy6189 wrote:
Japherwaki wrote:

Ok it's slim but I've got something. Shock Emitters get past Worf from the Hathaway. He prevents you from spending TL to modify your dice. So with Shock Emitters you spend the TL to fire and weapon gives the reroll. Aside from that I can't see any use.

So look out if you were planning on shaking up your local meta with Worf

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Pitner
United States
Plano
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
mathguy6189 wrote:
Japherwaki wrote:

It's great that it let you re-roll any of your dice... oh wait, it requires you to spend your target lock to get this functionality... which is exactly the same functionality as spending a target lock. Oh, and it's a discard. Oh, and it can only roll 5 dice yet only can be equipped to a dreadnought ship that has a PWV of 6 dice. *slaps forehead*. duh, duh, duh, duh, duh.

Anybody see what captain level this ship would operate as? It doesn't let you equip a captain or admiral, and I see nothing on the ship card that would indicate to me when this ship would activate.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Pitner
United States
Plano
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Guessing it's only possibly a CS1 based on what the tokens show in the picture? If that's the case, focus fire and this thing is blown up before it gets a shot off every time.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Evan
United States
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
There are a few scenarios in which Thoron Shock Emitter is non-useless. For example, in Q2, the ship's PWV would only be 3. I'd probably still take something else, though.

I like that there are area effect weapons, even though they're not great (Maintenance Crew/Remata'Klan/Plasma Wave would be impractical and expensive but hilarious), and Gor Portas is happy that the Dominion finally got some quantums.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Xander Fulton
United States
Astoria
Oregon
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
mathguy6189 wrote:
Japherwaki wrote:

I'm not sure what's worse - that unquestionably-useless-in-all-situations card, or the 'Maintenance Crew' as a picture of B'elanna shooting a phaser at the thing in an effort to destroy it somehow being a REPAIR card. *ALMOST* as bad as the 'Aft Weapons Array' in the Aldara being a picture of a Cardassian ship blowing up.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Justin Hare
msg tools
XanderF wrote:
mathguy6189 wrote:
Japherwaki wrote:

I'm not sure what's worse - that unquestionably-useless-in-all-situations card, or the 'Maintenance Crew' as a picture of B'elanna shooting a phaser at the thing in an effort to destroy it somehow being a REPAIR card. *ALMOST* as bad as the 'Aft Weapons Array' in the Aldara being a picture of a Cardassian ship blowing up.

I'm not sure, the original Antimatter Mines card was pretty bad. I'm not sure what episode of TNG had them playing Half-Life 2.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Moppi Wurm
Germany
flag msg tools
I had high hopes in this one to boost my Cardis with some maneuverability. Instead it's just a stronger galor without a Captain and too expensive weapons. Well, I guess I'll just use it without any upgrades to annoy people with those 6 attack dice. Counter measures and evasive attack routes would be okay for 3pts or for 4pts without a discard.

I'd love Thoron Shock emitter on a Galor class, +1 Attack and target lock would be cool, even though 5pts are quite a lot. I think for casual play I'll just ignore the restriction, since it's ridiculous.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Hero Guy
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Practically everything is a discard. As someone else said, if the upgrades were all 2-3SP cheaper, this would be a decent expansion. As is, the only reasons to get this is solid ship stats and the Quantums. I'll be damned though that those Quantums don't have me thinking I might need two of these...

I was so excited to finally get another ship to add to my Dominion fleet...and then they drop this bomb on me...

At least I got a good pun out of it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Gallagher
United States
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
SgtCortez4722 wrote:
I had high hopes in this one to boost my Cardis with some maneuverability. Instead it's just a stronger galor without a Captain and too expensive weapons. Well, I guess I'll just use it without any upgrades to annoy people with those 6 attack dice. Counter measures and evasive attack routes would be okay for 3pts or for 4pts without a discard.

I'd love Thoron Shock emitter on a Galor class, +1 Attack and target lock would be cool, even though 5pts are quite a lot. I think for casual play I'll just ignore the restriction, since it's ridiculous.

Co-signed.

6 attack dice in a 180-degree arc. 6! So you buy this one despite the cards rather than because of them.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Boardgame Geek
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
tiballagher wrote:
SgtCortez4722 wrote:

Co-signed.

6 attack dice in a 180-degree arc. 6! So you buy this one despite the cards rather than because of them.

Agreed.

The only thing that would have been cooler on the ship and very fluffy would have been for the ship to have been Dominion/Independant since the Maquis did reprogram it.

Ah well, still a must buy for me which I am very surprised to write.

The Matter-AntiMatter Warhead in this pack has an AOE effect (not damage) to it; I still think that it is such a missed opportunity that they didn't give all torpedoes an AOE from the get go.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sodoff Baldrick
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Some missed opportunities here. If you have seen the episode "Dreadnought" there was a lot more going on with the ship than we have represented here. It would have been nice to have an upgraded version of the Auto Navigation from the Dauntless. Captain Skill 1 is a little pathetic. Something more to represent the sophisticated computer would have been good. There was also something that the ship had to hide it from sensors. This was also a good opportunity for another Torres card.

The Maintenance Crew thing is just dumb. It has a compartment, just give the thing a crew slot.

I agree with others. For the text as written on the cards most of them should be -2 or -3 points.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ted Kay
United States
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Challenge: without a resource, how high can you increase the ship's skill?

With the tech from Dauntless and Pegasus Riker as a maintenance crew, I've got it up to 5 to start.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt W
msg tools
mb
Really quite disappointed with this set.

1.) Thoron Shock Emitters are absolutely useless. It's like they only included it to be used as a discard weapon upgrade with the ship's special ability, Kinetic Detonator or Evasive Attack Route, but for 5 SP why would you ever take it even for these purposes?! If it was usable by any Dominion ship it may have seen some use, but limiting it to the Dreadnought renders it a card that will never see the light of day. It would have been a good upgrade if you could use its attack IN ADDITION to an attack with your primary weapon.

2.) Plasma Wave should either be 3 points, or a Disable and Range 1-2. In its current form it's pretty much useless.

3.) Maintainance Crew should only cost 4SP at most, seeing as you have to discard it AND a crew upgrade it lets you take to repair 2 damage. It MIGHT be useful if you use it to assign Boheeka or a Breen Aide to the Dreadnought, but at 6SP just for this card I can't see it being used often, if at all.

3.) Matter-Antimater Warhead had HUGE potential to be an awesome Cardassian variant to the Jem'Hadar's suicide attack. Given that the Dreadnought is just a giant missile (said to be able to destroy small moons!) the text SHOULD have been: ACTION: At the end of the Activation Phase, destroy your ship and roll 7 attack dice against every ship within Range 1. This Upgrade may only be purchased for an ATR-4107 ship. Instead, it sounds like the Dreadnought is simply shooting a missile out of itself. Really annoyed you can't use the Dreadnought for a suicide attack.

4.) Counter Measures would have been decent it was only a disable instead of a discard. With its current text it shouldn't cost more than 3 or 4SP.

5.) Evasive Attack Route may have been OKAY if you only disabled the weapon upgrade instead of discarding it. With its current text the card shouldn't cost more than 3SP.

I could maybe see myself taking this ship as a heavy-hitter support vessel amongst a fleet of Galor-class ships, but I can't see a single upgrade with this pack that I would assign to it. Whoever designed this set really did a terrible job, I almost don't even want to purchase it since the cards are so bad.

At first I thought the no-named dreadnought had a special ability too, but it just says you can't assign a captain or admiral card.

Overall, disappointing set, but at least the base dreadnought is powerful enough to make it worth considering. Only downside is the presumed Captain Skill 1 on this ship (given its A.I. in the episode, it should be at least CS3).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Evan
United States
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Not only was it fairly reactive, only firing on other ships after they take aggressive action, that missile was straight up not very good at its job. CS 1 is appropriate.

I was also reading up on thoron shock emitters, and I found this:

Quote:
A thoron shock emitter was a weapon of Cardassian design. The Cardassian tactical missile ATR-4107, later known as Dreadnought, was equipped with a thoron shock emitter as part of its defensive systems.

In 2372, B'Elanna Torres identified the thoron shock emitter as the only possible weakness in the missile's defenses

Is it possible that the terribleness of this card is a wink to lore? I would actually be okay with it just being included as a joke.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Evan
United States
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
FortuneFavorTheBold wrote:
Challenge: without a resource, how high can you increase the ship's skill?

With the tech from Dauntless and Pegasus Riker as a maintenance crew, I've got it up to 5 to start.

Pegasus Riker would get you to 5 even without the tech, wouldn't he?

I can't think of much else. You could bring Worf or an RSO (or more with discounts or officer exchange) in Cryo Stasis, or if you have Pagh Riker and two actions, you could enable and trigger him every turn to go to 10. Martok's an obvious choice for the actions, or a Dominion fleet captain as your wingman could give The Doctor a free action to restore Riker.

Thot Prad wrote:
2.) Plasma Wave should either be 3 points, or a Disable and Range 1-2.

I guess I missed the memo about how Disruptor Pulse is such a bad card that it should have been a 360 weapon.

Thot Prad wrote:
3.) Maintainance Crew should only cost 4SP at most, seeing as you have to discard it AND a crew upgrade it lets you take to repair 2 damage. It MIGHT be useful if you use it to assign Boheeka or a Breen Aide to the Dreadnought, but at 6SP just for this card I can't see it being used often, if at all.

It's expensive, but it should be, because crew slots are a huge deal. As recently came up in another thread, every other way of adding a crew slot is either a Captain, a resource, or heavily restricted or otherwise onerous (e.g. Cryogenic Stasis). It'll see use.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Justin Hare
msg tools
kobold47 wrote:
Is it possible that the terribleness of this card is a wink to lore? I would actually be okay with it just being included as a joke.

Maybe, Pressman was a pretty funny admiral to get

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Russ Bellamy
msg tools

Ship is decent. 6 attack with 180 arc is awesome. Unfortunately CS1 with no defense means it'll get focused hard. Upgrades are all excessively over costed. Why so many discards? Maintenance crew is gonna cost 8 points to repair 2 damage. Lol no thanks. I'll just run it bare and keep the Kraxon close by.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2 , 3  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.