Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Chris Grzywacz
United States
Lexington
Kentucky
flag msg tools
badge
Founder LexiCon Tabletop Gaming Convention in Lexington and CinCityCon in Cincinnati!
mbmbmbmbmb
Had a great two player game of Dexikon, when I attended MACE Con in NC.
Usually this game rewards speed, because you can pick high scoring points words you formed during your turn early for scoring value, instead of buying value, you can make the game speed up by forcing your opponent to score too. Ending the game when someone is the first to score 7 words.

My opponent and I, unsaid, decided to let the game linger some, not forcing words right away. While this was enjoyable way to try it, the normal game is better when you start scoring words as soon as you get the letters to make at least 7 point words (based on the last 5 times I have played it, not a rule, my own guideline).

My opponent focused on getting the best value card each turn, grabbing attack cards and action cards as soon as they came up.

This forced me to purchase a couple of defense cards. I was able to pick up some end of the game bonus cards. Since I had played before, I started scoring some of my cards, forcing her to score some of hers before she was quiet ready. She had a couple of bad runs and was not able to score at all, not drawing any wild cards, without which makes word making much harder.

I really had a nice advantage on her, but did not push it hard enough, allowing her to get her 5 word minimum (only your top 5 scores count, but if you have less then 5 you only score what you have).

I relaxed, but should have not done this. On her last "extra" word, you can form at the end of the game using any cards in your deck, not just the ones you usually draw each turn, she was able to make a 17 point word to my 13 point word. She also was able to get rid of more of her wild cards at the end of the game, which count against your final score.

Thus I learned a well know lesson, don't be nice to newbies, because they will crush you.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 Lucky Texan
United States
Arlington
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I like Dexikon and am glad I KSed it. It's tight and elegant. I like the timing of the game with the banked words. Probably my second-favorite word game after the difficult to get Tisby.

and yes, I have seem many noobs win a game I just taught them!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.