Popular Tags: [View All]
John VanDenBerg
United States
Farmington
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
'65 might be the squad-level tactical Vietnam War game I've always wanted. It's already close to being funded on Kickstarter, and there are some great stretch goals; Marines, ANZACs, city map and solitaire rules. Check it out:

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1408460255/mark-h-walke...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan Buman
United States
Harlan
Iowa
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I do not have a Vietnam War game in my collection and this one might be the one. I have been looking for a Vietnam squad level game for several years but other than Forgotten Heroes, I have not been tempted. The card mechanic in '65 looks fun and fresh. The large counters and great art are other things I like. This game looks very good. If we can reach a couple of stretch goals it would be a no brainer!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Walker
United States
Henry
Virginia
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
'65 Squad Level Combat in Vietnam. On Kickstarter!
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks, guys. I've submitted images for approval so we can get a representative image up and folks can look at the beauty of this thing. In the mean time, please keep talking it up.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Leonardo Martino
Italy
Milano
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
how is the shooting done? Can you please explain the icons on the counters?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rich Dodgin
Scotland
Edinburgh
Midlothian
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb

Love the look of this!

I only play solitaire, so could you please explain / summarise how solitaire play will work (assuming that stretch goal is reached, of course).

Thanks
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joseph Propati
United States
San Diego
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Yah, I was really excited about this kickstarter when I realized the creator had followed the same old "screw you" policy of creating two rather dumb pledges.

1. Let's screw everyone who didn't happen to find this gem early and give 109 people a $54 price tag but screw everyone else because "we think you should pay more since you didn't follow us and we want to penalize you" at $65! Don't these people realize that this just pisses people off? $9 more because I didn't now this kickstarter had started!

Nice! Thank you for penalizing me!

2. A $44 pledge yet we think you should get screwed and not get any stretch goals but pay a high price! Don't you think paying $44 should at least warrant you getting some stupid stretch goals, especially since we are helping you fund your damn game?

Well, you can count me out of this kickstarter, I have no love or money for someone that doesn't care for me as a backer!

IMHO!

By the way, thanks Mark, nice job on those pledges.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe
United States
Shoreview
Minnesota
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
kingspud wrote:
Yah, I was really excited about this kickstarter when I realized the creator had followed the same old "screw you" policy of creating two rather dumb pledges.

1. Let's screw everyone who didn't happen to find this gem early and give 109 people a $54 price tag but screw everyone else because "we think you should pay more since you didn't follow us and we want to penalize you" at $65! Don't these people realize that this just pisses people off? $9 more because I didn't now this kickstarter had started!

2. A $44 pledge yet we think you should get screwed and not get any stretch goals but pay a high price! Don't you think paying $44 should at least warrant you getting some stupid stretch goals, especially since we are helping you fund your damn game?

Well, you can count me out of this kickstarter, I have no love or money for someone that doesn't care for me as a backer!

IMHO!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Walker
United States
Henry
Virginia
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
kingspud wrote:

IMHO!

Wow, sorry man. I'm really not trying to screw anybody. A lot of thought went into those pledges. Even the baseline pledge is approximately 20% off retail and, if we fund any of the stretch goals, it will be closer to 50% off retail. Sorry I angered you. That wasn't my intention.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Walker
United States
Henry
Virginia
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
This video explains shooting: https://boardgamegeek.com/video/84051/65-squad-level-combat-...

Top left number is the targeting modifier. Only units that can target AFVs have a targeting modifier.
Bottom left is the armor. Only AFVs have this.
Top right is the Armor Pircing Factor. Used in checking for an AFV's destruction.
Middle right is the High Explosive Factor. This delineates how many cards are pulled when firing on a soft target. Every card that is pulled that reads "Hit" in the lower right block is a hit.
Lower right number on the counter is the movement factor.

Icons on the left side are Abiliites. In general, these are always on. They include such things as "Assault" which means the unit can initiate melee, and "Inspirational," which is usually found on a Hero. Inspirational units add 1 to the HE of an adjacent or same-hex unit.

Icons on the bottom (round) are swithced on when you play a card that reads "Power." They include stuff like "Smoke" "40mm Grenades" "Ambush". Hope that helps.

kalevi1999 wrote:
how is the shooting done? Can you please explain the icons on the counters?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Pereira
Portugal
Porto
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
You can't satisfy everyone in KS... That's probably the common thing in all campaigns.

I will be very satisfied when I get my hands to this one but still waiting for the other games and mags due to my pledge in OST.

Keep up the good work.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Walker
United States
Henry
Virginia
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
Then you'll be happy to see this. These are actual production photos. Printer says Night of Man will be complete next week, but I never completely trust printers.

davidallves wrote:
You can't satisfy everyone in KS... That's probably the common thing in all campaigns.

I will be very satisfied when I get my hands to this one but still waiting for the other games and mags due to my pledge in OST.

Keep up the good work.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Larry Doherty
United States
Windsor, Northern-
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I am looking forward to this!!!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Walker
United States
Henry
Virginia
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
I am too, Larry. Hope to post more production pictures next week.

ldohrebl wrote:
I am looking forward to this!!!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Doug Kalin
United States
Mentor
Ohio
flag msg tools
I am waiting on this one. If you make it to the solitaire goal, then I will join in.

I believe in the future it would be wiser to put the solitaire goal early, so you can get more backers like me who are only really interested in solitaire play. Just a suggestion.

Good luck and I hope you get there.

Doug
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Walker
United States
Henry
Virginia
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks, Doug. I hope so too!

dnk1234 wrote:
I am waiting on this one. If you make it to the solitaire goal, then I will join in.

I believe in the future it would be wiser to put the solitaire goal early, so you can get more backers like me who are only really interested in solitaire play. Just a suggestion.

Good luck and I hope you get there.

Doug
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan Buman
United States
Harlan
Iowa
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I have to agree that sliding the solo stretch goal to the top of the list would probably help the campaign quite a bit. Many wargamers are solo gamers it seems.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Walker
United States
Henry
Virginia
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
Let me think about it.The solo game is much more expensive proposition than a addition of the Marines.
1932f20 wrote:
I have to agree that sliding the solo stretch goal to the top of the list would probably help the campaign quite a bit. Many wargamers are solo gamers it seems.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan Buman
United States
Harlan
Iowa
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Mark Holt Walker wrote:
Let me think about it.The solo game is much more expensive proposition than a addition of the Marines.
1932f20 wrote:

I figured that might be the case Mark. I think it might bring more people on board though, creating a little momentum. That might help reach more stretch goals in the end.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Walker
United States
Henry
Virginia
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
I do see your point.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bob
United States
flag msg tools
Be sure to taste your words, before you spit them out.
badge
If you climb in the saddle, be ready for the ride.
mbmbmbmbmb
For those of us still on the fence, having solo rules certainly would not hurt. Are the rules and scenarios available for review?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Walker
United States
Henry
Virginia
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi Bob,

Nope, right now they are in Word doc format, pending layout. As soon as they are laid out I'll post, but till then, no. Experience has shown me that no matter how many times I scream "THESE ARE JUST ROUGH WORD DOCS!" I'll get 7 people saying, "Well, if that's what the rules look like, I won't buy." It's a a conundrum.

I will, however, lower the solitaire stretch goal drastically this morning. I've received a lot of emails about that. If that is an important stretch goals to you all, I will honor that.

Ashitaka wrote:
For those of us still on the fence, having solo rules certainly would not hurt. Are the rules and scenarios available for review?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bob
United States
flag msg tools
Be sure to taste your words, before you spit them out.
badge
If you climb in the saddle, be ready for the ride.
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks Mark!

Submitted my pledge and looking forward to playing. Roughly how many pages are in the rulebook?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Walker
United States
Henry
Virginia
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
Bob,

Thanks for your support. Looks like it will be 32 pages.

Ashitaka wrote:
Thanks Mark!

Submitted my pledge and looking forward to playing. Roughly how many pages are in the rulebook?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Charlie Theel
United States
St. Louis
Missouri
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
FYI - for those on the fence and hoping to hit the Solitaire stretch goal, you can pledge right now which will help towards the goal. You can always cancel your pledge on the final day if it looks like we won't hit it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Walker
United States
Henry
Virginia
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
Ain't no hope about it. We'll reach that solitaire stretch goal, and much more. We are 15 orders away now. Solitaire is a given, let's push toward the large city map!

charlest wrote:
FYI - for those on the fence and hoping to hit the Solitaire stretch goal, you can pledge right now which will help towards the goal. You can always cancel your pledge on the final day if it looks like we won't hit it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.