Recommend
 
 Thumb up
 Hide
11 Posts

Pandemic» Forums » General

Subject: Pandemic Role Selection Poll rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Pop tech
United States
New Jersey
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Poll
When selecting roles in Pandemic, which method do you prefer?
Freely Choose
Limited Selection (e.g. 2-3)
Random
      186 answers
Poll created by Poptech
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthew Soto
United States
Colorado
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I normally would do it randomly on TTS, but when I play Pandemic solitaire I do limited selection. Dunno which way I would go once I get it on the table either at my FLGS or at home.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
GMOFreePortland.com
United States
Milwaukie
Oregon
flag msg tools
designer
ii desu. It is good.
badge
No, I have no idea.
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
It really depends on who I'm playing with.

If it is mostly a new group of players, I will limit it to the base game rolls, but will deal them out randomly.

If it is mostly experienced players, I will typically deal two roles to everyone, then let them pick.

My wife and I have a different role selection when it is just the two of us playing. We often play 3-4 games within a short period of time. We start by randomly choosing our first two roles. When the first game is over, we set those two aside, and randomly pick from the remaining roles. We repeat this for the next 2-3 games we play. This gives us a chance to play a variety of roles and combinations that we might otherwise not try if we stuck to just our favorites.
3 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
The Powell
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmb
We sit in the random camp here. Random role selection is part of what makes the game a challenge. I would argue that it's much more satisfying to win with what would be seen as a "weaker team". If you deliberately choose roles you're making the game easier. Trying to get random combinations of roles to work is part of the skill of the game and not randomising, I think, is missing the point. The only situation where you could argue for selection would be teaching the game to a new group for the first time where picking roles with simpler effects would allow players to concentrate of the core mechanics of the game, after that, no. I've seen the same discussion with several coop games with differing roles(Forbbiden Desert and Eldritch Horror for example)and I think it's the same argument. On top of this is the fact that randomising also adds to the replayability and longevity of the game.
5 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Wayne Walker
United States
Chuluota
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I would prefer limited selection, however, I always play random since I feel like I am cheating otherwise.
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Laudermilk
United States
Orange County
California
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
clanpowell wrote:
We sit in the random camp here. Random role selection is part of what makes the game a challenge. I would argue that it's much more satisfying to win with what would be seen as a "weaker team". If you deliberately choose roles you're making the game easier. Trying to get random combinations of roles to work is part of the skill of the game and not randomising, I think, is missing the point. The only situation where you could argue for selection would be teaching the game to a new group for the first time where picking roles with simpler effects would allow players to concentrate of the core mechanics of the game, after that, no. I've seen the same discussion with several coop games with differing roles(Forbbiden Desert and Eldritch Horror for example)and I think it's the same argument. On top of this is the fact that randomising also adds to the replayability and longevity of the game.


This. To me it's just part of the puzzle. One of the more satisfying wins was when we selected roles and thought we were doomed from turn 1. In the end we figured out a) an efficient way of using the role's abilities, and b) those roles weren't so bad after all.
5 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
The Powell
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmb
claudermilk wrote:
clanpowell wrote:
We sit in the random camp here. Random role selection is part of what makes the game a challenge. I would argue that it's much more satisfying to win with what would be seen as a "weaker team". If you deliberately choose roles you're making the game easier. Trying to get random combinations of roles to work is part of the skill of the game and not randomising, I think, is missing the point. The only situation where you could argue for selection would be teaching the game to a new group for the first time where picking roles with simpler effects would allow players to concentrate of the core mechanics of the game, after that, no. I've seen the same discussion with several coop games with differing roles(Forbbiden Desert and Eldritch Horror for example)and I think it's the same argument. On top of this is the fact that randomising also adds to the replayability and longevity of the game.


This. To me it's just part of the puzzle. One of the more satisfying wins was when we selected roles and thought we were doomed from turn 1. In the end we figured out a) an efficient way of using the role's abilities, and b) those roles weren't so bad after all.


Ah, now that I could see the point of. Deliberately choosing a bad team or unworkable combination to add to challenge would make an interesting session. Cherry picking the best? A different story.
Who would you go for as a bad team?
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Lee
United States
Los Angeles
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Random. One of the reasons I like Pandemic so much is that each of the roles feel useful. Random brings that to light, I think.
3 
 Thumb up
0.25
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pop tech
United States
New Jersey
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
wwalker98 wrote:
I would prefer limited selection, however, I always play random since I feel like I am cheating otherwise.

I believe there are many more people who feel the same as you do based on my experience playing this game with others.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ed T
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
I feel the game is genuinely better with random roles, it makes the game more interesting to replay to explore the different ways the roles interact.
4 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Holt
United States
Shoreline
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Usually random, but if someone really wants a particular role that's fine too. Not a big deal either way; the "official rules" are really more like guidelines.
1 
 Thumb up
0.25
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.