Popular Tags: [View All]
John Middleton
United States
Laramie
Wyoming
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I finally got around to buying a copy of the 2010 edition and started punching and clipping the counters.

I have noticed that they all have a sort of fuzzy, low resolution look to their printing. This is especially noticeable on the Gorn, Tholian, and Kninti counters. Some of them, again especially the Gorn, appear to have a boxy discoloration around the Ship Class letters and numbers.

Even the Fed counters have a sort of "fuzziness" to them that makes the numbers more difficult to read, though the darker color is also a factor in that.

All of my old counters are very sharp and crisp in their detail.

The new counter sheets in Advanced Ops have a similar low rez quality to them.

Is this normal with the new counters...or is this just a bad batch?

It is kind of disappointing to see that the new printing looks like homemade counters printed off a webpage image.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nick Blank
United States
Unspecified
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Does your set have counter sheets titled Alpha and Bravo and 280 counters per sheet, or One and Two with fewer counters per sheet? Alpha and Bravo are the newer types, a little thinner, from their newer printer. Sounds like you have the older type maybe? Did yours come with 2010 rules?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nick Blank
United States
Unspecified
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
OK, I pulled out my extra unpunched Bravo sheets (they say copyright 2009) and they are a bit fuzzy if I understand what you are seeing on yours, and the Gorns do have an indistinct outline around the elements. Probably due to how they were digitally constructed. I know the company was using a new manufacturer for these sheets. The 2009 Bases sheets are kind of the same way. I think that is just how they are, you did not get a misprint, unless they are really bad. I also have some older sheets (types ONE and TWO copyright 2004 that are also a teeny bit fuzzy in the same way, but they have much less precise die cutting. The new style sheets (slightly thinner) are much better in the die-cutting areas. The printing doesn't bother me, F&E counters are traditionally simple and functional.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Middleton
United States
Laramie
Wyoming
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The sheets are all brand new current sheets bought right from ADBs website.

I have lots of older sheets from 86 and 90 that are much clearer.

Guess it is just the digital printing/layout that makes the new ones look the way they do. They really do look like a printout from a BGG image.

I'm used to all wargame counters being functional not blurry.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim Cote
United States
Maine
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Are there different printings of the 2010 edition? If so, how can they be differentiated?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Middleton
United States
Laramie
Wyoming
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
No idea.

I bought these first week of November from ADB.

They are the newest of the new.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim Cote
United States
Maine
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Can you please post some high res scans/images?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Middleton
United States
Laramie
Wyoming
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Just take any of the newest alpha or bravo sheets and look at the Gorn or Tholian.

The sides of the Tholian ship images are not flat, but sort of jagged and fuzzy, like a low resolution image. Same thing on Feds, Klingons, what ever. Where there should be a straight line, its stepped....just like a low sample rate audio file would appear when compared to a high sample rate on a 'scope.

The Gorns have a visible greyish orange outline box around the class and combat factors.

You can observe the same thing on the Romualan counters if you look closely, though the red background hides it better.

Maybe I'm just being picky, but it is disappointing to finally buy the new stuff, only to have them look worse than the old counters. The cutting and thickness is all nice...just the images seem like cheap digital.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim Cote
United States
Maine
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
DegenerateElite wrote:
Just take any of the newest alpha or bravo sheets and look at the Gorn or Tholian.

I don't own the game. That's why I want to see what it looks like. I suspect what you are describing are JPG artifacts. No one who understands print media would use lossy JPG for production printing.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Middleton
United States
Laramie
Wyoming
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
That is exactly what I'm describing.

The images on the new counters are obviously computer generated images that are of a low enough resolution that when printed, they exhibit the poor image quality that you expect from DIY counters printed at home from a photo or website download.

Whether the counters are fully created in a computer or scanned and retouched, only ADB knows.

But it seems foolish that they would go through the trouble of making new counter sheets and no one ever bothered to mention that they look like crap.

Maybe this is just how they are now and Starfleet gamers don't care. I asked in case anyone on here had noticed the issue and if it's normal, or if it's actually a flaw with this batch. However, since the counters from the base game and the Advanced Ops look similar, it's probably normal.

I tried scanning some at 1200 and it hides lots of the problems I'm seeing...also at 2400 dpi but the file image was gigantic and too big to upload.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nick Blank
United States
Unspecified
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I think it is some sort of image corruption or quality loss when copying/pasting between programs, or between the publisher and printer. Somebody didn't do something right at some point in that process. I think I do remember noticing this when they first came out, but had long since forgotten about it. The counters are overall so simple in design (a ship silhouette and some numbers in a plain font) that it just never bothered me I guess. I think it would be a bigger problem with a more modern/detailed type of counter image.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.