Subject: Fantasy board game recommendations rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: fantasy [+] recommendations [+] [View All]
Jake Fondie
United States
New York
New York
flag msg tools
A long time ago, I had a copy of TSR's Dungeon! in its earlier iteration. I would love to find a game that streamlines fantasy quest play as Dungeon did so that I can play with my young daughter (pre-teen) and family. What are the best fast-play, streamlined fantasy board games out there? Thanks for your help.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe Cappello
United States
Minneapolis
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Consider Return of The Heroes. The game is spent developing your character through experience gained by encounters and completion of quests with the goal of beefing up your character to take on the "Nameless One" who becomes known at game end or through a converstaion with some mice - don't ask.

The rules, at first, are a little wonky to figure out, but with minimal effort looking for files here on BGG, you'll have it figured out in no time. The game plays quickly assuming you haven't got someone playing who experiences analysis paralysis; however, there really are not too many instances in the game I can think of where this would be the case. Although the box suggests that it can be played in 90 minutes, that's probably pushing it for first time play.

I own Talisman, HeroQuest, and Search for the Emperor's Treasure, and RoTH captures the great feel of a magical, quest game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Isaac Citrom
Canada
Montreal
Quebec
flag msg tools
badge
MENTE, MANU ET INSTRUMENTUM
mbmbmbmbmb
I asked the exact same question. The responses were very good:

http://www.boardgamegeek.com/thread/144656

Also, there are more than one excellent GeekLists about this. Here is a really good one, but search for others:

http://www.boardgamegeek.com/geeklist/923

The consensus seems to reluctantly fall on Descent: Journeys in the Dark as the best of the lot although it has its shortcomings. My preference is for the Dungeons & Dragons Basic game:

http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=products/dndacc/9664700....

I played this with my two younger sons and a friend (12, 12, 10). They loved it. Unfortunately, the game is a leader into the fully fledged Dungeons & Dragons system. There are no expansions beyond this one box in a similar vein. That said, there is an older version of the basic game that does have two expansions. It is now out of print but you can still pick it up at:

http://paizo.com/store/paizoExclusives (scroll down a bit)

Note that you'll have to eBay it for the main game but Paizo sells the expansions.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stephen Groves
New Zealand
Auckland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm not sure about preteen but the following are popular. I'm sure with enthusiasm from Dad one of these will work.

Return of the Heroes;
Runebound; and
Dungeon Twister.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adam Knight
New Zealand
Titirangi
Auckland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
A friend and I played Dungeon Twister for the first time a few days ago, and found that to be a pretty cool, fast and tense dungeon themed game. It's definitely not a dungeon crawl, with players co-operating to gain treasure, but might have some of the elements you're looking for. It is pretty simple as well - but could be a bit strategic, depending on how old your daughter is.

My personal favourite is Descent: Journeys in the Dark but I couldn't recommend this to you as it is pretty complex, and slower than it sounds like you are wanting. A cool game to check out though!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thomas Eastside, Esq.
United States
Richmond Hts.
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Hmmm, I haven't played Dungeon, but check out Mystic Wood. It has a quick play time.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jake Fondie
United States
New York
New York
flag msg tools
Thanks for the direction. I'll explore these games in the review section.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Derek H
South Africa
Johannesburg
Gauteng
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
For the younger set, The Sorcerer's Cave is a good bet - has a lower rank on BGG because most people don't rate games for kids...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jorge Arroyo
Spain
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
gamesbook wrote:
For the younger set, The Sorcerer's Cave is a good bet - has a lower rank on BGG because most people don't rate games for kids...

Let me second this recomendation along with the one for Mystic Wood. My son is almost 3 and can play both games with some guidance. He really enjoys the exploration part: deciding which direction to explore, etc...

-Jorge
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ted Kowalczyk
United States
Somonauk
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Recently my 9 year old daughter has been bugging me to play Runebound because she likes the female characters in it. So I streamlined the rules a bit ( 3 experience to level up and ignore event and encounter cards except to replenish the encounters) and she loved it! Her enthusiasm was such that my wife joined in on our next game and she(my wife) proceeded to win by defeating 3 dragonlords! Runebound is a fun game with straightfoward rules. Your character travels the land searching for encounters to battle to earn gold and experience and go into town to purchase allies and equipment and use experience to level up. The ultimate goal is to be the first player to defeat 3 dragonlords or the High Lord Margath. The only negative is it is a long game. Two of us took 2+ hours. The three of us took two evenings(4 hours or so).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.