Julian Dick
Germany
Wiesbaden
flag msg tools
mb
Hi there folks!

As i anounced in this thread, i am currently working on a Campaign Story Journal for the recent set of the pathfinder adventure card game. I want to continue the example of the adventure guides, existing for the two previous sets, created by kittenHoarder and Autoduelist. Thanks to them for coming up with this great idea to give the players a full fleshed out storyline to read while they play the campaign if they want a more coherent story throughout the adventure path. I will try to stay as true as possible to the pathfinder source material intented for these scenarios.

I will upload my scenarios page by page for you to assess and give your improvement suggestions here.

In the end i will put the finished files all together in one PDF file to create the complete Campaign Story Journal. If somebody wants to help me with this, and maybe speed things along, just contact me or answer this thread and maybe we can split the work somehow.

Autoduelist also started an Adventure Guide. Check it out here

Update: Jan. 2016
Hey guys. I finished the work on the Campaign Story Journal for the base game.
The prologues and epilogues for the adventure 0 and 1 are finished and can soon be found in pdf-form in the files section here

I plan to continue on with the adventures 2-6, but i think at this time i will take a break now. The "problem" is that i am currently also playing this game with my group, and i dont want to spoil myself about the outcome of this great storyline. When my group finishes the base game, i will continue with the first expansion adventure (No. 2) but i am not sure when this will actually happen. Furthermore, doing this journal is a lot of work and it took me quite some time and way longer than i first imagined it would take. Maybe for the next adventures somebody from bgg (like you my dear reader ) will help me to increase the speed of the next releases.

I hope you enjoy your games of pathfinder:the adventure card game like my group does and let this journal further improve your experience with the game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Julian Dick
Germany
Wiesbaden
flag msg tools
mb
Ok, now here are my first pages. Some introductions and also the first scenarios.

Adventure Path

Adventure 0 and Scenario 0-1

Scenario 0-2

Scenario 0-3

Scenario 0-4

Scenario 0-5

Adventure 1 Prologue

Scenario 1-1

Scenario 1-2

Scenario 1-3

Scenario 1-4

Scenario 1-5

Adventure 1 Epilogue
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Neil Edmonds
United States
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
Do you need more card ideas for the D&D Adventure System games?
mbmbmbmbmb
You'll want to be careful with the image files. The Community Use Policy restricts what you can put into your documents. I've been over Paizo's blog pretty thoroughly, and I believe I see 3 violations in your document already.

Here's the relevant text from the Community Use Policy:

• You may use the contents of the Community Use Package at paizo.com/communityuse/package. You may use only those versions of the Paizo Materials from the Community Use Package. You may not alter the color, typography, design, or proportions of the logos or icons, or otherwise modify them. Should an item be removed from the Community Use Package, you don't need to remove it from existing projects, but you may not use it in future projects.

• You may use the cover images, as displayed on paizo.com, of all of the products on our Community Use Approved Product List at paizo.com/communityuse/products. Product covers may not be cropped, color adjusted, edited, distorted, or modified.

• You may use any of the text or artwork published in the Paizo Blog at paizo.com/paizo/blog, with the exception of excerpts of Planet Stories publications, Pathfinder Comics, and any logos and icons that aren't also in the Community Use Package. You may not use any photographs published in the blog (because those rights are usually not ours to offer). You may not use artwork, including maps, that have not been published in the blog, although you may create your own interpretations of material presented in our artwork and maps, provided that your interpretations don't look substantially similar to our materials.

• You may use the artwork published to illustrate the Web Fiction at paizo.com/pathfinder/tales/serial. Note that the web fiction itself may not be used under this policy—just the artwork.

This resource can help you find images that are okay to use.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Neil Edmonds
United States
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The restrictions on artwork are the reason why I bought miniatures and painted them. I wasn't violating the Community Use Policy because the pictures of the figures were my own (thus, I'm not breaking the blog post rule by using WizKids photos), and since I improved the paint jobs or used unpainted figures, it becomes a unique piece of art. If there were any problems with my definition of "art", I'd point to all the pictures of painted miniatures since the mid-1970s making this an acceptable practice. The fact that companies hold contests to judge miniature painting would support my position.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Julian Dick
Germany
Wiesbaden
flag msg tools
mb
What about the images you used in the two previous adventure guides?
Did you get an agreement from paizo?
Did you ask the artists for permission?

I hope there will be a possibility to use the artwork. I have included a reference to every image that i used in the footnotes. They are mostly from the pathfinder wiki.

If it can't be done in the end, i will have to do the guide without images, but it would sure be a lot more atmospheric if they are included.

After all, this guide is not for me, and it is not for profit. It is merely there to increase the enjoyment of the pathfinder adventure card games and hopefully their sales rates

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Julian Dick
Germany
Wiesbaden
flag msg tools
mb
Ok, thanks for the info about The Community Use Policy.
I will have a read of them and adjust my usage of the images accordingly.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Neil Edmonds
United States
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I think the questions are already answered, but just in case:

Quote:
Did you get an agreement from paizo?

Yes, I did. I followed the community use guidelines.

Quote:
Did you ask the artists for permission?

I secured permission from Reaper Miniatures and the picture I used from BGG for the skeletal dragon.

You can't work around Paizo's requirements by asking the artists directly (I suggested this and Paizo said no.)

Quote:
I hope there will be a possibility to use the artwork. I have included a reference to every image that i used in the footnotes. They are mostly from the pathfinder wiki.

Look closely at the wiki. You'll see they tag the images they don't have copyright permissions for.

Quote:
If it can't be done in the end, i will have to do the guide without images, but it would sure be a lot more atmospheric if they are included.

I agree. That's why I spent all that voluntary money you mentioned earlier on miniatures.

Quote:
After all, this guide is not for me, and it is not for profit. It is merely there to increase the enjoyment of the pathfinder adventure card games and hopefully their sales.

Irrelevant. Paizo doesn't want you doing this for legal reasons. If they let you do this, they lose the ability to enforce their copyrights in the United States. I am not a lawyer, nor do I hold this out as legal advice, but U.S. copyright require a rights holder to defend against all claims. If you knowingly let one violation go unanswered, that can be enough for a judge to dismiss your protections. Paizo's Community Use Policy tries to be as permissive as possible while protecting their intellectual property for the least amount of oversight. For example, the registration requirement on paizo.com was a smart move because they can claim ignorance of a violation because the file wasn't registered on their website. If you put the disclaimer in your document (many people just copy this from something they saw on the Internet), you're indicating to a court that you read the policy and not posting on paizo.com means you've already confessed to violating Paizo's rights.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jared

Minnesota
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Excellent work so far!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Julian Dick
Germany
Wiesbaden
flag msg tools
mb
Added Scenario 0-2

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Julian Dick
Germany
Wiesbaden
flag msg tools
mb
Added Scenario 0-3

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Julian Dick
Germany
Wiesbaden
flag msg tools
mb
Added Scenario 0-4

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Julian Dick
Germany
Wiesbaden
flag msg tools
mb
Added Scenario 0-5

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Julian Dick
Germany
Wiesbaden
flag msg tools
mb
Added Scenario 1-1

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Vic Wertz
United States
Washington
flag msg tools
Julian,

Please note that the Community Use Policy only allows you to use certain images, such as those in the Community Use packages, and in the Paizo blog. Please remove any images that aren't covered by that.

Vic Wertz
Paizo Inc.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Neil Edmonds
United States
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Julian, I kept track of Community Use Artwork that would be useful for Wrath of the Righteous while partnering with Kittenhoarder on the Skull & Shackles Adventure Guide. I can list it here if you think it would help your project; I'd just have to match the artwork to the PACG card names.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Julian Dick
Germany
Wiesbaden
flag msg tools
mb
Quote:
I can list it here if you think it would help your project; I'd just have to match the artwork to the PACG card names.

Of course, that would help a lot.
I am currently working through the paizo blog to find suitable images. I am also thinking about replacing some with creative commons licenced images that would fit the theme well.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Julian Dick
Germany
Wiesbaden
flag msg tools
mb
Quote:
Julian,

Please note that the Community Use Policy only allows you to use certain images, such as those in the Community Use packages, and in the Paizo blog. Please remove any images that aren't covered by that.

Vic Wertz
Paizo Inc.

Hi Vic. I browsed through the community use packages and the blog, and removed/changed all images i couldn't find there. I will upload the new files in the next days, along with the next scenario.
Wow, the blog has so many pages... surprise

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Julian Dick
Germany
Wiesbaden
flag msg tools
mb
Images and captions redone
Added Scenario 1-2

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Neil Edmonds
United States
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
[EDIT - Now includes Force Missle and Unfettered Imp. Also there's some errors on Paizo's cards which I told them about here.]

Okay, here's the list of artwork I promised. I didn't bother looking at the Item, Weapon, or Armor cards because they wouldn't be very interesting to look at outside of being filler for a blank space on the page.

Definitely check out Paizo's Commmunity Use Packages. They have images of product logos, iconic heroes, religious symbols, demon runes, and regional flags.

I highly recommend paizo's tag page for the blog.

You'll also find this website useful for verifying artists. You'll want to inspect the images they list because a handful of them are still protected by copyright or aren't allowed under Community Use anymore; for example, the Pathfinder Society HomePage image of the Brimorak (Savash) is an example of an image you can't use anymore. Clicking the source hyperlink takes you to a page on paizo's website that doesn't display the image. PathfinderWiki can probably use it because they posted the image before the rules changed.

Here's the images I'm aware of with direct ties to game cards.

Villains

Ylleshka
Gelderfang
Deskari

Henchmen

Labyrinth Minotaur
Inger-Maggor
Karlisq
Shadow Demon
GrimSlake
WorldWound Cadre
Blood Demon
Sloth Demon
Demonling
Unfettered Eidolon
Diurgez Broodlord

Monsters

Elder Fire Demon
Boar Demon
Upasunda (picture featuring demon)
Tarry Fiend
Corruption Demon (picture featuring demon)
Alderpash's Ghoul
Urannag
Filth Demon
Dire Rat

Obstacles

Crazed Cultists
Demonic Horde

Adventure Path + Scenarios
Sword of Valor
The Worldwound Incursion
City of Locusts
Box cover

Spells

Scorching Ray
Glibness
Cure
Force Missle

Allies

Retainer
Researcher
Carbuncle
Celestial Unicorn
Unfettered Imp

Cohorts
Vinst
Valais

Other images not in the game
Pit Fiend
Infernal Syndrome
Worldwound Assault
Noticula's Attention
Noticula Headshot
Noticula
Hezrou Demon
Marilith
Aqueous Orb
Quest
Catacombs Fight
Queen Galfrey
Glabrezu attack
Vrock scream
Crepitus
Stormking Reborn Headshot
Valeros captured by Templars
Succubus
Incubus (Or Succubus taking on male form)
Chimera
Nabasu Demon

I know there is a community use image for the an uncredited shot of the Worldwound, but I can't seem to find the blog link at the moment so I didn't list it here.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Julian Dick
Germany
Wiesbaden
flag msg tools
mb
Thanks Neil,

i found most of these images also on the paizo blogs.
There are also some cool background/scene images as well an the blog.
The Worldwound map can also be found in the blog i think.
It really helps that the blog can be sorted by tags and also artist.
Thank you for the effort.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Julian Dick
Germany
Wiesbaden
flag msg tools
mb
Back from holiday vacation and continuing the guide.
Added Scenario 1-3

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Julian Dick
Germany
Wiesbaden
flag msg tools
mb
Added Scenario 1-4

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Julian Dick
Germany
Wiesbaden
flag msg tools
mb
Added Scenario 1-5 and Adventure 1 Epilogue

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mauro Moura
msg tools
Excelent work. Are you still planing on doing the guide for the other Adventures ? They make playing the card game so much more fun.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Julian Dick
Germany
Wiesbaden
flag msg tools
mb
Quote:
Excelent work. Are you still planing on doing the guide for the other Adventures ? They make playing the card game so much more fun.

Hi, thank you for the appreciation. My group has not gotten to play Pathfinder:ACG a lot during the last few months. It will take more time for me contunuining with the guide. I will let you know if i made my plans.

greetings, Enroth

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.