Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Shane Thornsbery
United States
Elyria
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Will the kickstarter expansions ever be available at retail? I'd like to get this game and eventually the expansions, but don't really want to pay $400 on ebay for them.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim McMahon
United States
West Springfield
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
Lookee what he can do! He wants a job!
mbmbmbmbmb
Usercreated wrote:
Will the kickstarter expansions ever be available at retail? I'd like to get this game and eventually the expansions, but don't really want to pay $400 on ebay for them.
The Kickstarter Exclusive items will not, as we have been told, be available at retail (unless a retailer purchased them as an add on during the campaign). However, Cryptozoic said that if they run another Kickstarter for a second Ghostbusters game, they could be made available through that.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brad Harmer-Barnes
United Kingdom
Rainham
Kent
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Nothing's exclusive forever. They'll come out eventually, and then all the backers will cry and no-one will care.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
L VonMeister
United States
Missouri
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
There are a lot of really mad backers right now - you might be able to buy someone's pledge for what they paid for it.
Don't know, but it might be worth a look.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
JD Dibrell
United States
Klamath Falls
Oregon
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
BradH wrote:
Nothing's exclusive forever. They'll come out eventually, and then all the backers will cry and no-one will care.

Why is it necessary to troll a perfectly fine post? I mean, honestly.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Bowles
United States
Depauw
Indiana
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Had I known that I would never have bought the base game. Not trying to start anything here, I just wrestle with OCD, and if I buy a game I have to have every add on they come out with. It drives me crazy, until I have it. (That's the reason I stay far far away from things like, Magic the Gathering, Memoir 44, etc) I didn't see GB had all this kick starter stuff until I had purchased it. Now it's simply driving me batty that I have these weird ghosts I have never seen before and am missing most of the movie ones that I know and love. Oh well.

I don't like to pre-order or tie up funds waiting on shipping, too much for instant gratification , but could someone briefly explain how this kick starter process works? Do you tie up your money or is it a pledge type thing? Do you have to pay hundreds of dollars or will you be able to buy the exclusive content as you can afford it?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
JD Dibrell
United States
Klamath Falls
Oregon
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
There are set pledge levels at certain dollar amounts. You choose one of these to back depending on the Kickstarter they come with specific things with some freedom or no freedom. Before the Kickstarter ends you can change the amount. Some Kickstarters allow you to change your pledge amount after and some don't. Once it ends you just wait. Once they have your money you can't get it back so if you have buyers remorse you better back out before the kickstarter ends.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Martin Gallo
United States
O'Fallon
Missouri
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
VonMeister wrote:
There are a lot of really mad backers right now - you might be able to buy someone's pledge for what they paid for it.
Don't know, but it might be worth a look.
I am tempted to just buy one of those sites while waiting for my KS delivery...

I am not mad, just disappointed enough to feel miffed and I do understand the retail relationship (to some degree).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason
United States
Ogden
Utah
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I own the KS exclusives and a lot of the exclusives need to be available at retail.

Gozer, Zuul, and Vinz Clortho belong in the retail box along with any boards related to that content. The retail game is incomplete without these characters. Many fans want to be able to play through events in the movie. These pieces being missing is a huge mistake. Best current solution is to make this content an expansion.

Other KS exclusives that should be expansions:
- New Ghostbusters
- Cathulhu (boss, minis, boards(?))
- Baddies 2 (sans Walter Peck)
- Spectral Ghostbusters

The Rookie, Walter Peck, Grey Lady, Boogalo, Fearsome Flushes, Taxi Drivers, Sandman, dice, spirit guide, some boards, and the impossible mode stuff are more than enough KS exclusive content.

Retail release combined with Kickstarter exclusives are going to kill any chance of this game having legs. I'll be surprised if we see another Kickstarter or any expansions for Ghostbusters.

CZE has painted themselves into a corner. They're either doing a huge disservice to gamers who buy at retail or a giant F-you to backers.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ben Boersma
Australia
Clyde North
Victoria
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Yup and lots of us told them that during the Kickstarter... certainly frustrating that's for sure.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Shoosh shoo
Canada
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Im getting a little sick and tired of this whole kickstarter exclusive policy. I am not referring to this game or company specifically but i think a game should be released in its entirety right from the start. Ks backers should get it early... That can be the incwntive for backing it. Or if you want to include ks only items then mke it stuff that is for fun and not essential to the game. I would be ok with that.

But when companies release a game, and they purposefully withold stuff and offer it ONLY to ks backers... Thats just bad business.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
JD Dibrell
United States
Klamath Falls
Oregon
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
shooshoo wrote:
Im getting a little sick and tired of this whole kickstarter exclusive policy. I am not referring to this game or company specifically but i think a game should be released in its entirety right from the start. Ks backers should get it early... That can be the incwntive for backing it. Or if you want to include ks only items then mke it stuff that is for fun and not essential to the game. I would be ok with that.

But when companies release a game, and they purposefully withold stuff and offer it ONLY to ks backers... Thats just bad business.

I tend to agree. I think this campaign especially screwed the pooch. Unless they're going to go completely GB2 (Slimer and Lewis character, Vigo big boss, Janos in ghost and human form, killer bath tub, severed heads, spectral locomotive, mood slime, slime sprayer versions of Ray and Winston, baby Oscar objective, Dana NPC, Scolerri brothers) for retail expansions they have very little left they can sell for expansions. While, yes, I'm sure there are a few other ghosts they could come up with, I think the ones they've already done are the biggies.

I don't really think any of it NEEDED to be KS exclusive tbh and hey, if all I got was the stuff early (which obviously didn't happen) & a discount over retail (arguable on this one as well) I'd be happy and still have backed to help make it happen.

I know we like to blame licensors like Sony a lot, but in this case it might be true. Maybe Sony is responsible for what could and could not be retail? Otherwise I don't get Sony being ok with that lost revenue potential.

At the very least, angry mode ghosts should have been mass-market, along with the GB whose stream tokens are in the retail game, even though they themselves will never be retail available.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bill Egbert
United States
Idaho
flag msg tools
Just want to chime in about being pretty pissed off to hear that like 2/3ds of the the game content will (allegedly) never be available to me from the game manufacturer. I only heard about this game a week ago, and now that I have it in hand I find out now that I'm SOL unless I want to pay through the nose to scalpers. This is absurd. I'd GLADLY pay Cryptozoic to get this stuff, but it's not possible??
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe Crane
United States
WASHOUGAL
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
shooshoo wrote:

it's not bad business, first the profit margin on KS is insanely higher then retsil, second most people don't buy expansions and with this title they are clearly trying to go for mass retail not FLGS, and people seem to think that games with exclusives don't sell. Zombicide comes to mind, sold over 100000 at retail. Not through mom and pops but target, Walmart and Barnes and Noble. So many kickstarters fail or barely fund without exclusives, and almost all the big ones have them. I know I don't back a game just for the privilege of getting it a week sooner.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Arsene Lupin
msg tools
VaeVictis666 wrote:
it's not bad business, first the profit margin on KS is insanely higher then retsil, second most people don't buy expansions and with this title they are clearly trying to go for mass retail not FLGS, and people seem to think that games with exclusives don't sell. Zombicide comes to mind, sold over 100000 at retail. Not through mom and pops but target, Walmart and Barnes and Noble.

Maybe not in general, but the IP is the main selling point here. Like others I find the content of the retail version rather baffling: I would have expected the game to follow the first movie since that's what most people are familiar with. Instead key characters like Zuul, and Gozer are missing, while obscure ones (taken from the comics I assume) are included.

In other words the retail version has less of what the average person probably wants and more of what he/she doesn't. Hard not the feel cheated since you can't even buy those extras separately. It probably won't hurt sales because people will buy on impulse without checking the content first, but it may hurt repeat business.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim McMahon
United States
West Springfield
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
Lookee what he can do! He wants a job!
mbmbmbmbmb
begbert2 wrote:
Just want to chime in about being pretty pissed off to hear that like 2/3ds of the the game content will (allegedly) never be available to me from the game manufacturer. I only heard about this game a week ago, and now that I have it in hand I find out now that I'm SOL unless I want to pay through the nose to scalpers. This is absurd. I'd GLADLY pay Cryptozoic to get this stuff, but it's not possible??
They have almost (but not quite) made it clear that it would be available in the next Kickstarter.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Flavio Santos
Brazil
Brasilia
Distrito Federal
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
shooshoo wrote:

Those millions CMoN are making and will continue to make is proof enough that exclusives are good business.

Only people that dislike exclusives believe it to be bad business and the numbers are saying that they are wrong.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ben Boersma
Australia
Clyde North
Victoria
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Kickstarter is one off though, you need to continue to support sales through retail post campaign. If the exclusives aren't too many or too important, this works. But if they are some of the main characters in the franchise, then you've got issues.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
JD Dibrell
United States
Klamath Falls
Oregon
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
I don't particularly agree with ks exclusives when they seem like the game "needs" them. That's why I'm selling off the extras from my 2nd mass hysteria for what I consider reasonable ($5/each for small models, $15 for large), if I ever get it that is.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason
United States
Ogden
Utah
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
shooshoo wrote:
Im getting a little sick and tired of this whole kickstarter exclusive policy. I am not referring to this game or company specifically but i think a game should be released in its entirety right from the start.

I don't think a handful of exclusives are bad. IMO, Blood Rage balanced this very well. There's 3 figures that are exclusive and a set of alternate sculpts. The rest of the content is available at retail either in the retail box or via expansions. Having missed that campaign, I do expect to pick up Blood Rage as a game. Additionally, the Kickstarter price was actually cheaper than buying the full content (game + expansions) even with OLGS discounts.

Ghostbusters, on the other hand, is the worst game I've seen for exclusives.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Shoosh shoo
Canada
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I think some people above are twisting my words. What i was talking about (and some of you got it) is exclusives which are important enough that the game feels lacking without them.

Wasnt it Mytb that contained partial quests, and their idea was to include cards that continued thoses quests as exclusives to KS backers, or put them in expansions?

If you want to make exclusives then fine... But the base game should stand well alone without them. Like i mentioned i didnt buy ghostbusters and i know nothing about their campaign, but it sou ds like a lot of people are complaining about exactly what im saying.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
JD Dibrell
United States
Klamath Falls
Oregon
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
shooshoo wrote:
I think some people above are twisting my words. What i was talking about (and some of you got it) is exclusives which are important enough that the game feels lacking without them.

Wasnt it Mytb that contained partial quests, and their idea was to include cards that continued thoses quests as exclusives to KS backers, or put them in expansions?

If you want to make exclusives then fine... But the base game should stand well alone without them. Like i mentioned i didnt buy ghostbusters and i know nothing about their campaign, but it sou ds like a lot of people are complaining about exactly what im saying.

I personally think it's a giant mistake to make Gozer, the terror dogs, and the librarian Kickstarter exclusive. Possibly even Peck. Even all of the extra tiles seem like they really are part of the game. I think a really nice big box expansion could have been done by including all the above plus the taxi ghost and maybe even the impossible mode Stay Puft. Then just make the Kickstarter exclusives comic book and cartoon characters. Because it is a really good chance that most people are going to buy this and or any expansions based on movie Nostalgia first and foremost. I realize plenty of people are aware of the comics & the cartoons but let's face it the biggest nostalgia draw is going to be the movies.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Buffington
United States
Honey Brook
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmb
I actually pulled out of backing this game because of all the exclusives. CMON and others have exclusives that are cool but you can expand/support the game without them. What are they going to do for Ghost Busters now that they made everything people care about exclusive?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
JD Dibrell
United States
Klamath Falls
Oregon
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
raouldukehst wrote:
I actually pulled out of backing this game because of all the exclusives. CMON and others have exclusives that are cool but you can expand/support the game without them. What are they going to do for Ghost Busters now that they made everything people care about exclusive?

Ghostbusters 2?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dominik N.
Germany
flag msg tools
red_starrise wrote:
raouldukehst wrote:

Ghostbusters 2?

I grew up with the cartoons so I do care a lot for the cartoon ghosts like Boogieman, Samhain and Cathulhu. Maybe even more than I do for Ghostbusters 2, because the only character from that movie I'd like for the game is Vigo! Playable Janine is also a must have for fans and Kylie was my favorite EGB character even when I didn't like the show as much as RGB!

Right now I'd gladly buy a full set of exclusives if they didn't cost more than the KS price of a MassHysteria!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2 , 3  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.