Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Cookie Monster
Belgium
De Pinte
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The son of my best friend (5 years old at the moment, will turn 6 in a few months) likes playing boardgames. Whenever I visit, he drags me to the table to play a game. So far, we played The Little Orchard and Junior Labyrinth. We always celebrate new year's eve together, and this year I would like to give him a new boardgame.
What games (preferably games that are easily available in Europe) would you recommend I look into?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 Lucky Texan
United States
Arlington
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
not sure on availability but, he might enjoy Hey, That's My Fish!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
lampeter
United States
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
I have a 6-year-old. Her favorite small games are Hive, Sushi Go, Niya, Sleeping Queens.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
T. Nomad
Netherlands
Den Bosch
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Good on you for encouraging a kid.

My 5yo loves Sushi Go!, Hey, That's My Fish!, Cockroach Poker, open-handed Crazy Eights, Sherlock, and we use the cards from Bohnanza to play Biblios (he's more into stinky beans than monks).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
MeepleofaMan
United States
Concord
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
+1 Sleeping Queens
Anything from Haba like Animal Upon Animal or Rhino Hero

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Samo Oleami
Slovenia
Ljubljana
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Animal Upon Animal is always a hit with any age (4 to 99).

Not sure about 5 to 6 but Spot it! (Dobble in Europe) is the most accessible speed game. Had no problem with 6-7 year olds.

The Magic Labyrinth might be ok. It's a roll and move + memory game. (you have to remember the hidden obstacles). Just play on the easy setting.

A more classic roll and move is Geistermühle - you roll two dice and can substract or add them, and you can move around the track in whatever direction. But here and there, the ghosts under the board will move and can throw player figurines out of the board! (magnets). I've played with two 5 year olds, the ghosts really got them tense and excited all the time.

(I general I recommend looking at Drei Magier Spiele).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adrienne Thelibrarian
msg tools
I was coming here to get more things to add to my 5yos Christmas list when I saw this!

My 5yo can't read yet (Has zero interest in reading despite being informed that he could play Pokemon if he learns. Loves math though.) so I feel like we're kind of limited, though one parent will usually play as his teammate. I think if you're willing to adjust the rules and play as teams, there's a lot they can play.

Right now he's into Clue (we play teams.. I'm waiting to hear from his teacher that he was talking about killing Mr. Green with the axe in the ballroom. It's going to happen eventually, I'm sure.), Battleship, Coconuts, My First Carcassone, Catan Jr, Ticket to Ride (teams), Uno, and he counts our coins for Red Dragon Inn. We tried Yahtzee but he got bored fast. I'm going to teach him Skipbo this week.

Things I have on his wishlist:
Splendor
Archaeology
Rat-a-tat Cat
Monopoly Jr
Dixit
Twister
Guess Who (Grandma has this and he loves it!)
Life Jr
Quirkle
Castle Logix
Camelot Jr
Trucky 3
Blockus Jr
Monster Factory
Robot Turtles (amazon tells me that there's a deal on this one right now)

I think he'd like Unexploded Cow, but that's on my list. Sushi Go and Splendor have been recommended for slightly older kids 8/9 but Amazon reviews for Sushi go say it's no problem for 4 or 6 yos.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Cookie Monster
Belgium
De Pinte
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thank you all for the recommendations!
I went with Animal Upon Animal for now, and he loves it! Had to play 3 games immediately :-)
For next gifts, I will probably get back to all these recommendations, so thank you all again!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pierre Debar
Belgium
Brussels
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Dobble (the standard adult version) is a hit with my 4,5 old daughter. This games is fun with kids as well as with adults.

My first Carcassone is really nice but I think it is rather suited to 4 & 5 years old than 6y. I have the feeling she will soon need another game.

Chicken Cha Cha Cha is also really nice. In that game you have to be active all the time, even when other players are taking their turn.

(Sorry that there is no link, for the moment, I cannot insert geek link for an unknown reason)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John
United Kingdom
Southampton
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
My son is about the same age. He likes the following: Hive Pocket, Hey, That's My Fish!, Carcassonne, Connect Four, UNO, Skip-Bo, Kalah.

His favourite game is Kalah, we have a folding 6x2 Mancala board with small marbles as seeds. It includes enough marbles to start with 6 in each hole (which I think is the most interesting way of playing).

Kalah is often sold as Mancala which is really the name for the family of games.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Glenn D
United States
Cumming
Georgia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb

Tsuro

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.