Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
David Sears
United States
Oldtown
Idaho
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I have had Nexus Ops for a while now after seeing it on the BGG and finding the special offer $15 free shipping. We have enjoyed it and have only recently realized that maybe we have been playing it wrong....lol

I read through the rules and explained them as we played. Using my superior Risk playing skills I quickly acquired and controlled a large section of the board. I didn't bother with the Monolith because, how powerful can the Energy cards really be (and I did read through them all). When starting the several games we played however I always assumed you didn't have to have any guys on your homebases to mine them. First, because they are your homebases have your color around them and everything and secondly, because then the first player doesn't really have the opportunity to expand out and explore on the first turn. Everytime we played was with 4 players so the board got filled fast and the Monolith taken early.

No complaints and the game always played well. When I drew one of the special mission cards which required the attack on a homebase, I always assumed you had to go move in there to lure some enemy units so you could then attack them. They are 3 and 4 point cards anyway so they should be hard to get?! Hehe. They were unfortunately a little too hard to get and I never won any of our first few games. They would end up getting discarded for the 1 rubium cash in and even until now no one in any of the games we have played has accomplished one of those missions. Or come close to whiping someone off the board and controlling all their home base spots.

After some thought and a thorough read of the rules and cards it made more sense that the home bases need to be mined. Next, time we play will be the first time with this 'new rule'.

I also recently bought a second Nexus Ops to make an expansion. The tiles all fit nicely to create a larger board with 2-8 player capability with 2v2, 3v3, 2v2v2 or even 2v2v2v2. So we are looking foward to that and I'll post some pictures and a review when we do it to let you all know how it went. We also plan on painting the second set of aliens with various color clear finger nail polish so we can have 8 different colored armies.

Thanks for reading. Hope you enjoyed our little misunderstanding. And although it didn't really effect gameplay maybe someone reading this will be able to avoid the same mistake.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tim Seitz
United States
Glen Allen
VA
flag msg tools
badge
Like water spilled on the ground, which cannot be recovered, so we must die. But God does not take away life; instead, he devises ways so that a banished person may not remain estranged from him. 2 Sam 14:14
mbmbmbmbmb
We had the homebase mining question come up in our first gaem, so we checked BGG for rules clarifications. So we ended up gettgin right, but it sure is ambiguous as written.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jesse Miller
United States
Gettysburg
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
Punk Rock Warlord
mbmbmbmbmb
Ja, we got it wrong also, and actually argued about it for awhile.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Sears
United States
Oldtown
Idaho
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Nice to know I wasn't the only one....hehe. Thanks guys. BGG sure is good for looking up that kind of stuff. Great for finding new highly recommended games and getting good honest feedback from various types of games.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Jordal
United States
Austin
Minnesota
flag msg tools
badge
Ike Clanton painted by me for Wild West Exodus
mbmbmbmbmb
When I am first player, I usually don't stay and mine except for on the three. Exploration will always net you at least as much as you missed that turn of income, because you will either get a mine of a value 2 or a unit worth 3 with a mine worth 1 or a rock strider worth 6, and you will have your troops advanced and ready to explore furthe on the next turn, and being the first player eventually you will have the oportunity to take more exploration tiles than the other players.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mr. Chris
United States
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I find it more interesting when players forget that you can lose the the mine workers through Dragon attacks or Energize Cards. Then they purchase "heavy units" which can't work in the mines. Later in the turn they count Rubium -

"WHAT HAPPENED TO MY 3 MINE?!?!"

"I played Radiation Cloud last turn, see it in the discard pile?"

"oh."

"You weren't paying attention again, were you?"

"No, I guess not. Can I start my turn over?"

"No"

"It might be really cold on the couch tonight. Can I start my turn over?"

"No, and I don't care if the couch is cold. Battlestar Galactica is on tonight."
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.