BoardGameGeek» Forums » Gaming Related » General Gaming

Subject: An exercise on wasting space - or El Grande Big Box, both work... rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Kyle
Canada
Toronto
flag msg tools
Show me something that beats a natural 20 and I'll show you hateful lies.
badge
We've taken care of everything...
mbmbmbmbmb
First the laugh, a large box saying '6 games' that was probably all the poor store had to ship this in. No wonder it didn't fit in my parcel locker. Also beware, crappy phone pics, blown highlights, probably a bit of glare too...

They certainly weren't kidding when they said big box. I wish they had been, as this is one of the biggest wastes of space I have ever seen.

Every single card slot is about twice as big as it needs to be, there is 3" on the x and 2" on the y that are outside the board and completely superfluous. What a joke?

17 x 12.5 x 4"

Now, who thought this was a good idea? Are these guys starting a joint venture with Ikea and get a share of the cut on shelf sales? We live in an age of excess, granted, but there are movements to reduce things like extraneous packaging, when will games catch up with that?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joel L
United States
Durham
North Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The extra card-slot space is almost certainly to allow for sleeving of the cards, which many people will appreciate.

Beyond that I don't see any wasted space, and the board holder is a nice feature.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kyle
Canada
Toronto
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Joel_L wrote:
The extra card-slot space is almost certainly to allow for sleeving of the cards, which many people will appreciate.

Beyond that I don't see any wasted space, and the board holder is a nice feature.

Even sleeving the cards you could tighten the spacing on everything up and get rid of the deep, near empty pit lower row center at minimum.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Garry Clarke
United Kingdom
Horsham
West Sussex
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Yes, a waste of space.

It's a great game, I don't have a copy but I won't buy this.

If they made a 'small box' edition with no expansions in a sensible sized box that was big enough to hold the components and not a huge volume of dead air I would defiantly buy that.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
maf man
United States
Waunakee (madison area)
WI
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm all for that inset (I'll parrot joel a little bit)
+1 to the taking into account sleeves, I'm not a sleever yet but games are an investment and shouldn't hinder a person trying to make them last as long as they can.
This insert makes the box organized. helps with clean up, set up, storage, and protects the components much more.
The look is just soooo much more attractive than tossing everything in a box and maybe some cardboard to make not shake around as much.
4" depth on a thermoformed part is actually rather big and that "wasted space" helps make the insert as nice as it is, not to mention it looks like the pockets are labeled with symbols
and holds the board so I don't have to worry about my idiot cousin who puts the board in first when packing up so I have to struggle to get it out again? awesome

I don't see any wasted space
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kyle
Canada
Toronto
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Garry wrote:
Yes, a waste of space.

It's a great game, I don't have a copy but I won't buy this.

If they made a 'small box' edition with no expansions in a sensible sized box that was big enough to hold the components and not a huge volume of dead air I would defiantly buy that.

I also forgot to mention the insert has a good 6+mm around it free space, it moves a bit. hah. But yeah, I would have settled for a small box base game, but that wasn't what was printed recently. Shipping generally makes buying used a moot point.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
maf man
United States
Waunakee (madison area)
WI
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
darthain wrote:

I also forgot to mention the insert has a good 6+mm around it free space, it moves a bit. hah.

I assume your talking at the top?
Walls on a thermoformed part need to have an angle on them else the plastic will not form right. Problems like walls being too thin or the part not even coming off the tooling that formed it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Man thinks, the river flows.
United States
Riva
Maryland
flag msg tools
mbmbmb

Two things --

1. They may have had only a few standard box sizes to choose from, and the next size down may have been too small. This box goes inside another box which goes inside a crate which goes inside a container. There may have been limited options.

2. Bigger things sell better. Cereal boxes are two inches deep and eighteen inches tall so that they present more frontage in the store, gather more attention. Making the box bigger may help with sales, especially now that prices are higher.

Both of these have nothing to do with the customer's need to store the game, but games only get made when publishers, wholesalers, retailers, shippers AND customers are all happy. Compromise is bound to occur.

S.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Russ Williams
Poland
Wrocław
Dolny Śląsk
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
mb
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lawrence
United States
Tustin
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
If I had the choice of a tiny box with everything thrown in tiny plastic bags, or one with an organized insert above, I'm taking the insert. Every single time.

For me, space isn't much of an issue. But that may be because I keep my collection very trim. I never have more than ~15 games because I only keep what I play regularly.

I'd much rather have a good insert that keeps everything separated and organized for quick setup/breakdown. I absolutely loathe games where I need to open 40 plastic bags to set something up.

All that in mind, I see no wasted space. It's a neat and attractive insert. Given the standard box sizes available, the next size down may not have been sensible.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Riva
Maryland
flag msg tools
mbmbmb

Oh hang on -- look at that insert. It has a harlequin hat stamped into it, what looks like a ghost, and crowns and swords. I don't think that's even an El Grande insert, at least by design. These guys may be re-purposing old stock to save money. That might be why everything is so big and clunky.

S.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Brown
United States
Okemos
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
If only they had named it in a such a way as to let you know what the intended size of the box was.whistle
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
maf man
United States
Waunakee (madison area)
WI
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Sagrilarus wrote:

I don't think that's even an El Grande insert, at least by design.

I thought you were just joking and i didnt get the joke...they are labels...i said that earlier and im all but certain im right

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J M
United States
Scottdale
Georgia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
If you'd like more games with efficient packaging, I encourage you to seek out Pax Pamir, which has barely enough space for the air between the baggies. They put the rules references on the box itself to save space.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marina SC
Canada
Toronto
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
If you think that's a waste of box space, you haven't played Splendor or Limes
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Riva
Maryland
flag msg tools
mbmbmb

Yeah, they're indicating the insert is for El Grande. Looks pretty hokey to me.

I only play the original rules, so the Harlequin hat looked absurd.

S.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve B
Ireland
Derry
flag msg tools
badge
EZ FLASH 3 FTW
mbmbmbmbmb
You have never seen the Pathfinder Card Game box

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Will Yum
United States
Oregon
flag msg tools
mb
russ wrote:
mb

Tiny Epic Galaxies is an amazing example of compactness.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joel L
United States
Durham
North Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
This thread is an exercise in wasting space.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tor Iver Wilhelmsen
Norway
Oslo
Unspecified
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
willyum wrote:
Tiny Epic Galaxies is an amazing example of compactness.

I thought so too, until my copy of Burgle Bros. arrived.

Anyway... is this the thread to mention the expansion boxes for Machi Koro and Talisman 2nd Ed?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Brown
United States
Okemos
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
bradelli wrote:

At least has expansion. Splendor is just a flat out crime.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Elliott HillJennings
United States
Cornelius
North Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
matthean wrote:
bradelli wrote:

At least has expansion. Splendor is just a flat out crime.

I literally came here to say just this.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
TJ
United States
Burbank
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Looks to be the same size as Pandemic Legacy, Robinson Crusoe, and other "big-box" Z-Man games

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mary Ann Harrison
msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Actually, I think it looks like a well-designed insert -- I really appreciate it when a company takes the time to make a good one.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
CARL SKUTSCH
United States
New York
New York
flag msg tools
Agricola, Sekigahara, Concordia, Innovation, COOKIE!!! (and Guinness)
badge
SANJURO: You're all tough, then? GAMBLER: What? Kill me if you can! SANJURO: It'll hurt.
mbmbmbmbmb
Mashpotassium wrote:
If you think that's a waste of box space, you haven't played Splendor or Limes ;)

I like the Splendor box insert. Very functional.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.