Popular Tags: [View All]
Vayda
United States
New Jersey
flag msg tools
https://sites.google.com/site/cnjxwing/home
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
https://www.fantasyflightgames.com/en/news/2015/11/20/epic-t...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brain
United States
Belvidere
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The spoiled cards:

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brain
United States
Belvidere
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
This pack looks like an awesome addition to Epic play. And I'm excited to dock TIE Interceptors or Bombers on a Gozanti.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Steski
United States
Olympia
WA
flag msg tools
Thou art I... Thou hast acquired a new vow.
badge
With the birth of the BOARD GAMES Persona, you have obtained the winds of blessing that shall lead to freedom and new power.
mbmbmbmbmb
I love ramming things, so it's no surprise that I'm pumped about Chiraneau. It's nice to see some more "huge ship only" modifications too.

It's driving me crazy that they haven't spoiled the mechanics for deploying the fighters, though! That's the whole point of the ship, why isn't it in the first article?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brain
United States
Belvidere
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
In my opinion (without knowing exactly how deploying is going to work), it doesn't make sense to dock a lot of ships. I would rather have my TIEs on the board and shooting from round 1. Otherwise, you're at a disadvantage, points-wise, in the first few turns until you deploy.
The main reason, I could see docking a ship would be some TIE Interceptors that are more of your glass cannon. You could have them be protected while docked on the Gozanti until later in the game so you can use them to clean-up anything left at the end.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave Rathbun
United States
Dallas
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb

I find it interesting that the four docked ships have to be the same type. I wonder why they used that restriction? Why not two bombers and two interceptors?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
You may call me
Canada
Burlington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
kamekkusu wrote:
In my opinion (without knowing exactly how deploying is going to work), it doesn't make sense to dock a lot of ships. I would rather have my TIEs on the board and shooting from round 1. Otherwise, you're at a disadvantage, points-wise, in the first few turns until you deploy.
The main reason, I could see docking a ship would be some TIE Interceptors that are more of your glass cannon. You could have them be protected while docked on the Gozanti until later in the game so you can use them to clean-up anything left at the end.

I wonder if they'll do something like the nashpup where they're actually cheaper if you dock them.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dustin Lesperance
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
kamekkusu wrote:

I think docking ships has WAY more utility than that, even without knowing the full benefits/mechanics. Being able to carry ships safely to a specific point on the map and then drop them when it is most advantageous is crazy -- less so, if it works like the Nashta Pup, which can't attack, but it's still useful.

You can now drop Backstabber so that he winds up in the perfect position, or you can launch out a couple of blockers, or...

Well, I think there will be a lot of options. But I do wish they explained that mechanic already (and tractor beams, come on!).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott S
msg tools
Pretty certain deployment works just like the Nashtah Pup. They did give a brief preview of what being docked means in the FAQ. IE, a way to get your fragile Alpha Pilots into the fray.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Dunford
Canada
Kemptville
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Sassycat wrote:
It's driving me crazy that they haven't spoiled the mechanics for deploying the fighters, though! That's the whole point of the ship, why isn't it in the first article?

Because then they wouldnt have anything exciting left for the next article. Well, other than the new TIE pilots of course.

kamekkusu wrote:

Bold part is important maybe?

drathbun wrote:

I find it interesting that the four docked ships have to be the same type. I wonder why they used that restriction? Why not two bombers and two interceptors?

Perhaps because you could then have Soontir, Vader, Rhymer and Howlrunner deploy simultaneously and wipe out pretty much any ship in the game, or something like that. Although 4 Adv/X1 with either Adv Targeting or Accuracy Corrector might already be OMG good.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Airborne Engineer
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Can anyone tell how many Ordnance Tubes cards are in the spread? Wondering about having more than one so other ships can enjoy them too!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeremy Thomas
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Airborne Engineer wrote:
Can anyone tell how many Ordnance Tubes cards are in the spread? Wondering about having more than one so other ships can enjoy them too!
Looks like 3x of each of the new Huge Ship modifications.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Allen T
United States
Grand Rapids
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
A few weeks?!?!?! I need to find a way to store this, and the extra TIEs... I have some room in my "Imperial" Stanley box with the Raider, but no room in my Imperial Plano...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Cyrenne
Canada
Saskatoon
Saskatchewan
flag msg tools
mb
monkeykins wrote:
A few weeks?!?!?! I need to find a way to store this, and the extra TIEs... I have some room in my "Imperial" Stanley box with the Raider, but no room in my Imperial Plano...

Store it? The epic ships deserve to be displayed. Put it on a prominent shelf with 4 docked Ties. That's what I'm going to do anyway.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Allen T
United States
Grand Rapids
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
4Xample wrote:
monkeykins wrote:

Store it? The epic ships deserve to be displayed. Put it on a prominent shelf with 4 docked Ties. That's what I'm going to do anyway.

Despite half the shelves in a room with built-ins on all 4 walls being totally empty in our new house, my wife did not agree that the CR90 was an ideal way to fill part of one. One of my older TIEs might free up some space in the Plano by becoming a work display model, though.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Freddy Dekker
Netherlands
Friesland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Women...shake

Well, at least in your {hm.. you did say your shouldn't that mean you have a say?} house you have identified the disturbance in the force.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brad Gravett
United States
Savannah
Georgia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I think the advantage to docking ties is innate protection. I imagine that when a TIE is docked it's taken off the table, and thus can't be fired upon. The Gozanti is tougher than the Reb Transport, it's even a little tougher than the Corvette's fore card.

I see two strategic uses here: one, use the Gozanti as a bit of a blockade runner, pushing through opponent's fighter screens to drop off four Bombers right next to a Corvette, possibly in one of its blind spots.

Or the reverse, start with your TIEs fielded, and if and when they take a hit, dock them to your Gozanti to preserve them until the late game.

The basic idea would be to have your Gozanti taking hits instead of your fragile, high-utility TIEs, and then deploying the TIEs at the right time.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brad Gravett
United States
Savannah
Georgia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The weird thing, though, is that the only tougher ship card is a Decimator, just going by hull+shield. It's entirely possible to make a Gozanti effectively tougher than a Decimator, though, since it uses the energy mechanic, has two cargo upgrades and the Reinforce and Recover actions.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rick Ricken
Sweden
Stockholm
flag msg tools
Either for some gameplay reason that I don't get, or because there's a title or crewmember that lets you mix and match...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Xander Fulton
United States
Astoria
Oregon
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
iNano78 wrote:
Sassycat wrote:

Because then they wouldnt have anything exciting left for the next article. Well, other than the new TIE pilots of course.

kamekkusu wrote:

drathbun wrote:

Perhaps because you could then have Soontir, Vader, Rhymer and Howlrunner deploy simultaneously and wipe out pretty much any ship in the game, or something like that. Although 4 Adv/X1 with either Adv Targeting or Accuracy Corrector might already be OMG good.

Oddest, too, because while the theme has been pretty solidly nailed by most of this expansion, THIS one is actually a miss.

In the Season 1 finale, a Gozanti jumps to hyperspace with the Inquisitor's Prototype TIE Advanced, and Sabine's repainted TIE Fighter, both attached.

(Or maybe there are two different types of docking clamps? One that lets you take four fighters, but they have to be the same type... and one that lets you take only two fighters, but they can be of mixed type?)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Freddy Dekker
Netherlands
Friesland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
My guess... it's a balance issue.

Different ships, different weight, so if you load different ships, your craft is out of ballance.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ron D
United States
Davis
California
flag msg tools
Mercury is my dog's name.
badge
I like hats.
mbmbmbmbmb
XanderF wrote:
iNano78 wrote:
Sassycat wrote:
It's driving me crazy that they haven't spoiled the mechanics for deploying the fighters, though! That's the whole point of the ship, why isn't it in the first article? :what:

kamekkusu wrote:

drathbun wrote:

Oddest, too, because while the theme has been pretty solidly nailed by most of this expansion, THIS one is actually a miss.

In the Season 1 finale, a Gozanti jumps to hyperspace with the Inquisitor's Prototype TIE Advanced, and Sabine's repainted TIE Fighter, both attached.

(Or maybe there are two different types of docking clamps? One that lets you take four fighters, but they have to be the same type... and one that lets you take only two fighters, but they can be of mixed type?)

I suspect it has to do with the potential to unbalance the game if you could load the Gozanti up with too many aces, especially if you could pick a set of aces with vastly different operational profiles. Imagine a defensive Gozanti loaded with Carnor Jax, Major Rhymer, Darth Vader, and Maarek Stele. It has almost absurd flexibility to break through an enemy fighter screen and drop off a ship (or two) tailored to deal with the priority target.

At least by limiting it to one type of ship, you cut back on that. Instead, it is more likely to drop off waves of generics, which is more likely the intent.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Disgustipater
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
sagitar wrote:
My guess... it's a balance issue.
Different ships, different weight, so if you load different ships, your craft is out of balance.

I don't think that would matter in space.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave Rathbun
United States
Dallas
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Actual weight might not, but mass an inertia still play a part. I would think that a ship big enough to carry four fighters would be stout enough to handle those imbalances though. Or they could always ensure the left and right were balanced.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Asher
United States
South Lake Tahoe
flag msg tools
badge
WACKY WAVING INFLATABLE ARM FLAILING TUBE MAN!!!
mbmbmbmbmb
It could also be that they don't want to have 4 different types of pilots (and any maintenance crew) for the TIEs...keep it simple with only one type of fighter to worry about (parts, on-board sim, cleaning crew, etc.) as the ship doesn't have a full-on hangar.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.