Bottom of the 9th» Forums » General

Subject: Game Balance rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Ryan Sauvage
United States
Michigan
flag msg tools
I have only played one game myself so far though it was close. I have also seen playthrough video that was on the kickstarter and I had the same thought both times. With the fatigue dynamic the game does not seem or atleast does not feel balanced. The game seems seems to be in favor of the hitter.

Any one else feel the same or have evidence of the opposite?

Other than the balance being slightly off I think its a very fun and exciting game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe Salerno
United States
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
My experience has been that the pitcher has beaten me 2 out of 3 times with two player games. In my one solo challenge outing, I won, but I felt the pitchers had the upper hand, and half of my wins were the result of luck when my guys crushed the ball for homers. The dice were hot.

Despite that, I actually feel that it is pretty well balanced overall. The more I play it, the more I understand the strategic portions and how to use them to mitigate the luck factor. But I'm not always successful, trying to thwart the dice, so that "thrill of the game" and that 9th inning hope is still part of the experience.

I need more plays before I make a complete judgement call on balance, but for now, I personally don't see an issue. And if one side is over balanced, you can always play two games, and switch sides to equal things out. The play time is short enough.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Mullins
United States
Lincoln University
PA
flag msg tools
designer
badge
It's always my turn.
mbmbmbmbmb
I look forward to hearing more people weigh in.

In my experience, the games are about 51% pitcher wins. There was nearly a dead split in the games I demoed at Gen Con, and one hilarious moment when a group in the crowd to my left said batters had a ridiculous advantage, while a second group to the right discussed the reasons that pitchers were so unfair. I loved it.

laugh
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Justin Bowman
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I've played almost a dozen times. Haven't recorded them (need to for stats) but seems about 50/50%. I would say the pitcher SHOULD have a slight upper-hand as they do in real baseball! However, it seems in our plays that as fatigue sets in the pitcher def. loses the upper hand. So there is def. a timer on the pitcher, and waiting them out with balls and full counts can def. swing the favor strongly to the batter during the stare-down. It also keeps with the theme that the Home team has already lost the game, but has this one last chance to turn the tides, just like in real baseball! The challenge and fun of the game is def. in outwitting your opponent... dice are dice and make or break any swing, but even if I lose but out-smarted my opponent, I feel like it was a great game and I have a feeling of accomplishment!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Mc
United States
Arizona
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I love the theme and atmosphere of this game, and have no issue with the randomness. In no way am I suggesting that the game is broken or unfun. However, after several weeks of play (say 4-8 games per week), the batter has NEVER won. It's been close a few times, but not once. That's kinda weird, right? I've never felt like a statistical anomaly before.

I can't rule out that we're missing something (we first played giving Wraith her Stealth ability as a trait, so...), though been through the rules many times.

Just me?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Darrell Louder
United States
Dover
Delaware
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
jjmcc wrote:
I love the theme and atmosphere of this game, and have no issue with the randomness. In no way am I suggesting that the game is broken or unfun. However, after several weeks of play (say 4-8 games per week), the batter has NEVER won. It's been close a few times, but not once. That's kinda weird, right? I've never felt like a statistical anomaly before.

I can't rule out that we're missing something (we first played giving Wraith her Stealth ability as a trait, so...), though been through the rules many times.

Just me?

This would make you a STRONG statistical anomaly. Just to be sure though, here is a video to Watch It Played showing you how to play:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VdgAFazrVLw

it's short, but maybe you're missing the relief or natural roll rulings? Or perhaps the fatigue with he Ace pitch? Just thoughts off the top of my head.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.