United Kingdom
UK
flag msg tools
designer
Check out DoomGloom Dungeon!
badge
YouTube/MadLadDesigns
mbmbmbmbmb
https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1744629938/dungeon-saga...

Mantic are going to reprint the Adventurer's Companion. They've already now brought out V1.2 of the AC so I thought it might be idea to scrutinize it in a hope that Mantic will listen and correct any errors that might be still outstanding.

If you find anything let me know and I'll post it here.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brad P
msg tools
mbmbmb
Nickydude wrote:

Mantic are going to reprint the Adventurer's Companion. They've already now brought out V1.2 of the AC so I thought it might be idea to scrutinize it in a hope that Mantic will listen and correct any errors that might be still outstanding.

I am pretty sure what you see is now what you get. That was the impression I got.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Riddle

Oklahoma
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
GOOD OLE MANTIC!!

I knew they'd come through!!!!

awesome news!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Allan
Australia
Adelaide
South Australia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Don't get too excited, they're just fixing the spelling mistakes, not fixing the actual rules.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Finland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Yes it seems to be a rushed reprint. I would personally wish them to delay the process 3-6 months. It's much more important to get a great Adventure Companion than get it fast out to the market. If there is any feedback people want to give, it's better to message them now. It may be late already and the book is (about to be) ordered.

Probably the biggest area needing improvement is the Uncharted Dungeon+co-op combination. Mantic should at least wait that Jake got his FAQ done and then integrate that data into the book nicely. They could also get back to the drawing board. Ideally the book should improve from the days of Descent(/Warhammer Quest; haven't played, but apparently its random dungeon / experience system is well received and better explained and balanced). Having at least the same features covered as those two games, but more. There is already a nice character creation system which is important, but couldn't there be:

* Traveling events (since obviously not cards, d6 x d6 dice chart)?

* A small chapter about selling items. Gold value is half the item cost rounded down. So an item worth of 1 gold gives 0, but 2 items of 1 gold is worth of 1 gold.

* Overlord card experience system similar to Descent cannot sadly be added anymore. Adventure companion game with duplicate Overlord cards instead of unique ones. Overlord player is left to improve boss monster which do not appear in every scenario.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Crusher Crancko
Spain
Granollers
Barcelona
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Good movement!

But also they would need to rewrite some parts and add more clarity in some rules.

Explain better Solo rules
Clarify overlord hand limit
More examples in some areas
A quick-ref for solo card AI
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sergio Torres
United Kingdom
London
London
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
batanen wrote:
Yes it seems to be a rushed reprint. ....

I agree so much with everything you have said here.

Printing again that PDF they have made publish won't get the game right.
I wish they halt a bit, wait for Jake Thorntorn to help (I'm sure he wants to get his game right), and fix it the best way possible given the cards and tokens are already there.

I'm sure the skeleton for coop and dungeon generator is there, but it needs to be rewritten in a way it makes sense (even if they need to skip the examples as they cannot take more space) and the FAQ needs to be integrated into the book.

Mantic will be losing a lot money re-printing the AC to make backers happy, which I appreciate and I think it's what they should do, as the received AC is not acceptable. But, why just fixing the typos and print again the same failed rule book?

The Kickstarter has just been delivered and people are focusing just on the blatant typos and errors, but if they print the same rules with only these fixed the game won't success in the mid-term as the modern sandbox dungeon crawler / light RPG.
A lot of reviews will appear with bitter criticism on the solo play, random dungeon rules and everything being not strictly scripted scenarios.
The game won't be what it could have been to the history of board and light role playing games.

I started to paint my minis but I have stopped now.
If they reprint the AC as it is now think I'll sell my whole pledge on eBay, as they will have ended up printing a game that is no better than the dungeon crawlers I already have.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Raph Moimoi
France
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Sergio, don't sell your game, I think if Mantic fails to fix what's clunky, gamers with the help of Jake will manage to fix these parts of the game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ciaran M
United Kingdom
Co. Down
UK
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Pikaraph wrote:
Sergio, don't sell your game, I think if Mantic fails to fix what's clunky, gamers with the help of Jake will manage to fix these parts of the game.

100% with Raph here - we'll certainly try our damned best and fill the gaps that unfortunately Mantic don't want to.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
bill corlett
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
First of all, thanks to Mantic for being honest enough to step forward and try to coorect their error.

Going forward I am hoping rather than the AC it will be the digital Dungeon Journal that will provide the clarifiactions and deeper experience for those who want it. I would also like to see the AC kept as a digital living rule book as well.

I pullled up my collection of Warhammer Quest books and articles and was surprised that how much more there was published outside of the core rule books. Now if Mantic do half as much (with a string gaming community helping) this could be areal winner
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Milis
United Kingdom
Cranham
Essex
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Sergio,

Look into my eyesgoogoonot around the eyes but into them!!

"you do not need any of your Dungeon Saga set....including the expansions!!!"whistle

This game is naff and you need to sell it to me!!!!

(evil cackle!!!)devil

This game looks fantastic and I only flicked over the AC online and the options are amazing! I'm sure all the niggles will be ironed out and we'll be loving this game in 30 years time!

All the best,

Chris.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brad P
msg tools
mbmbmb
This was posted on Mantics Forum:

Dungeon Saga: The Adventure Companion
It has come to our attention that the Quest book in the Adventurers Companion product (MGDS02) has some major grammatical errors and typos. This is not the quality of product that we wish to distribute to you or your customers, and so we will be delaying the shipment of these items until the book is re-printed.

We expect all Adventurers Companions to ship out with the Return of Valandor product that is set to release in December. Shipping will commence around the 10th of December.
Your patience is appreciated while we correct these errors and provide a great quality product.

_____

So they have already order reprints for the preorders and retail. That is why nothing is getting fixed outside the you do not have to read it to find the errors issues.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Allan
Australia
Adelaide
South Australia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Yeah, I was going to mention that they aren't doing this to keep upset backers happy, they are doing it because they can't actually put that rulebook in a retail product and expect it to sell.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Silver Bowen
United States
Austin
Texas
flag msg tools
Woo! Gonna get some
badge
44, that's me!
mbmbmbmbmb
So are they delaying USA shipments to put the corrected book in there, or only retail/preorders?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brad P
msg tools
mbmbmb
Only retail and preorder. Could you image the issue they would run into now if they held the kickstarters another 3 weeks to do that. They might not even start shipping until then anyway.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Off The Shelf Board Game Reviews
United States
Anchorage
Alaska
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
eriochrome wrote:
Nickydude wrote:

I am pretty sure what you see is now what you get. That was the impression I got.

My understanding is the reprint was already ordered and will be in Mantic's warehouse on December 10th, so the recent PDF is what you will get.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Finland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
If the recent pdf release is the final one, it's missing sections. At least when compared to Jake's FAQ, that expands Playing Uncharted Games section a little more.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.