Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Brett Schaller
United States
Unspecified
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
I'm having a little trouble wrapping my head around this. . .

I've played three encounters so far, starting with just Tonya and a crossbow. So far, I've run into only two zombies, both easily dispatched. All the people I've run into have been more than happy to join me (survivors) or quite content to chat and then move along (gangers and militia.) I haven't traded shots with anyone yet!

It's true I've stuck to rural and suburban terrain so far, but looking through the event cards it doesn't seem that much more dangerous in urban terrain.

Anyone else in the same boat? Is it possible I'm missing something in the rules?

For what it's worth, I am rolling a zombie activation die even if there are no zombies on the board, just to see whether a doubles roll will place more zombies.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Doyle
United Kingdom
Hertfordshire
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
If you are generating them for each of the options, you should eventually get some. Maybe just lucky draws.

So it should be:

Encounter draw at start of encounter
Encounter draw entering any new building
Encounter draw on doubles and yes I roll when I'm the only side also
Rolling for zombies any time you use fire dice.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Doyle
United Kingdom
Hertfordshire
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
They can build up pretty quickly once there is lots of shooting in my experience. Though dice do hate me.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Gray
United States
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Brett Schaller wrote:

I've played three encounters so far, starting with just Tonya and a crossbow. So far, I've run into only two zombies, both easily dispatched. All the people I've run into have been more than happy to join me (survivors) or quite content to chat and then move along (gangers and militia.) I haven't traded shots with anyone yet!

It's true I've stuck to rural and suburban terrain so far, but looking through the event cards it doesn't seem that much more dangerous in urban terrain.

Anyone else in the same boat? Is it possible I'm missing something in the rules?

For what it's worth, I am rolling a zombie activation die even if there are no zombies on the board, just to see whether a doubles roll will place more zombies.

I just finished a clear out mission (by dying) and there about 13 zombies on board when I died after clearing two buildings. Are you placing initial zombies when you set up?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ed Teixeira
United States
Texas
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mb
weateallthepies wrote:
If you are generating them for each of the options, you should eventually get some. Maybe just lucky draws.

So it should be:
Encounter draw on doubles and yes I roll when I'm the only side also

Just to clarify, whether you are the only human or not you always roll Activation dice (5.0) 1d6 for human and 1d6 for the zombie sides.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael
United Kingdom
Rochford
Essex
flag msg tools
We few,we happy few,we band of brothers;For he today that sheds his blood with me Shall be my brother: be he ne’er so vile;And gentlemen in England now-abed Shall think themself accurs’d they were no here That fought with us upon Saint Crispin’s day.
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
az_sunsets73 wrote:
Just to clarify, whether you you are the only human or not yo always roll Activation dice (5.0) One d6 for humans and 1d6 for zombies.

I'd love to be able roll 1d6 for humans and 1d6 for zombies...whistle

Just as soon as someone in the UK sells me a copy they have in stock

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ed Teixeira
United States
Texas
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mb
Brett Schaller wrote:

Hi Brett,
Thanks for the questions and I'm here to help. ATZ has been around for over nine years. The zed generating mechanics have stayed the same with the exception that when you fire you immediately spawn zeds.

I've played three encounters so far, starting with just Tonya and a crossbow. So 1 character with a crossbow, correct?So far, I've run into only two zombies, both easily dispatched. All the people I've run into have been more than happy to join me (survivors) or quite content to chat and then move along (gangers and militia.) I haven't traded shots with anyone yet! Rural and suburban are light on zombies and heavier on militia and survivors, not much in the way of gangers.
Are you using the Friend and Foe rules 16.2? Roll 1d6 and add the results to the number of NPCs. Roll 1d6 and add the results to your characters (1). If the NPC score is double yours they are hostile and start shooting. Doing the math you will meet NPCS 29% of the time and almost half the time you'll be outnumbered, which means more than half of the time they will start shooting.

It's true I've stuck to rural and suburban terrain so far, but looking through the event cards it doesn't seem that much more dangerous in urban terrain. ATZ is a very sneaky game. Doing the math you will meet zeds or NPCs in the Urban area 83% of the time and be outnumbered over 50% of the time. If you take Tonya in to the urban area with a crossbow, she will be dead pretty quickly. If you get lucky and roll some great dice, she could survive for awhile, but 90% of the time she won't live too long.

Anyone else in the same boat? Is it possible I'm missing something in the rules? I think it's more you being smart and careful - staying in the rural and suburban areas with low zeds and low gangers. Having a crossbow as a primary weapon is asking for trouble when you have a gunfight, and you will.

For what it's worth, I am rolling a zombie activation die even if there are no zombies on the board, just to see whether a doubles roll will place more zombies. You are correct. The rules say each SIDE and does not say only if there are zombies on the board. Hope this helps and let me know if you have more questions.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brett Schaller
United States
Unspecified
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Thanks for the replies, everyone. It appears that I've been playing correctly. Maybe I've just been very lucky in the card draws - or as Ed says, very careful!

I started in rural terrain and moved on to the suburbs, and by the time I had searched three buildings in the suburbs I had a team of five survivors and had sent a couple of militia gangs away without a fight.

I think I'll restart with Tonya alone with a crossbow on an urban map and see how long she lasts!devil
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ryan
United States
flag msg tools
1 Player hardcore
badge
Lone Warrior
mbmbmbmbmb
Brett Schaller wrote:
I think I'll restart with Tonya alone with a crossbow on an urban map and see how long she lasts!devil

mb - No worries

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ed Teixeira
United States
Texas
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mb
Or take your team of survivors to the urban area.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.